DirectX Error in Command and Conquer

by abc71365082

Original Post

DirectX Error in Command and Conquer

★★★ Newbie

Trying to play Command and conquer 3. I am running windows 10  and I keep getting a direct x  error that it is out of date or video card does not meet requirements. Directx is up to date and comp is new any fixes before I ask for refund original command and conquer will not even load up

Message 1 of 3 (7,320 Views)

Re: DirectX Error in Command and Conquer

Hero

@abc71365082

@abc71365082 wrote:

Trying to play Command and conquer 3. I am running windows 10  and I keep getting a direct x  error that it is out of date or video card does not meet requirements. Directx is up to date and comp is new any fixes before I ask for refund

The problem is that the DirectX they need is in fact not the latest version; this is actually Microsoft's fault for not including all components of their older versions in the newest DirectX.

• Download the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. Be sure to uncheck any other junk they want to add to it. It should be a file called "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe".
  • Run the downloaded file. It'll ask for a folder to unpack in. Make a new folder somewhere on your disk and unpack it there. It doesn't matter where you unpack it; it can be deleted afterwards anyway.
  • Go to the folder where you told it to extract.
  • Find "DXSETUP.exe", and run that to install the missing components.
  • After the installation finished, delete the folder you unpacked everything in.

@abc71365082 wrote:

original command and conquer will not even load up

The original? You're talking about C&C1?

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet installer for RA2/YR. It comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 3 (7,296 Views)

Re: DirectX Error in Command and Conquer

★★★ Newbie
@Nyerguds that didn't work
Message 3 of 3 (2,031 Views)