Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour.

by nnick58201

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour.

★★★ Newbie

Our team is aware of a Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer
Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour.

I tried the fix posted on the help forum but deleting the file didn't fix generals zero hour problem ( Please make sure you have Direct X 8.1 or higher installed. Also that your video card meets the minimum requirements.) this ran on my pc for months so not the video card also the generals runs fine just not zero hour. anyone know how to fix this?

Message 1 of 89 (312,702 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command &amp

★★★ Newbie

http://help.ea.com/en/article/command-conquer-generals-and-command-conquer-zero-hour-direct-x-8-1-er...

^^^^^  This solved the problem for me on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine ^^^^^

There were 2x copies "dbghelp.dll" in my Zero Hour folder, nuking both fixed it.

God help anyone that uses EA chat help....

View in thread

Message 4 of 89 (322,271 Views)

All Replies

Re: Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour.

★★★ Newbie

Can we get a fix please for a paid for product to work on Windows 7

@nnick58201 wrote:

Our team is aware of a Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer
Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour.

I tried the fix posted on the help forum but deleting the file didn't fix generals zero hour problem ( Please make sure you have Direct X 8.1 or higher installed. Also that your video card meets the minimum requirements.) this ran on my pc for months so not the video card also the generals runs fine just not zero hour. anyone know how to fix this?

Message 2 of 89 (311,931 Views)

Re: Direct X 8.1 error affecting Command & Conquer Generals and Command & Conquer Zero Hour.

★★★ Newbie

You are now ready to chat with Samrat.

SamratThanks for contacting EA Customer Experience, my name is Samrat. How may I assist you today?
youI am having an issue with your COmmand COnquer Ultimate Collection
youPlease make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed. is the message I am getting. I have installed the MS SDK 2008 package, deleted and tried modifying the options.ini file. I due to my gfx driver being proprietary and not supported by AMD I am unable to update them except what HP provides
youWhat is the solution to get the game working?
youPlease note I have a report ID of 060b614b80002c8e
SamratI have gone through the issue and understand this,
SamratMay I know if you have followed the UAC steps?
youUAC? maybe not
youwhat is UAC?
Samrat1. Click on Start
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Click on the "View By" option and select the Icon view (large or small options give the same information)
4. Select User Accounts (it should open into the account of the user who is currently logged in)
5. Click on the bottom-most option, which will be "Change User Account Control Settings"
6. Adjust the slider to the bottom-most option
7. Accept the changes
youRunning windows 7 btw
SamratYes, the above steps should work.
youok done
yousame issue
youPlease make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed.
SamratAlright, here is the next steo
Samratstep*
youkk
SamratI would suggest that you try running your system using the Windows clean boot option. That way you would be able to locate any program that might be interfering with the game.
The instructions for clean booting your operating system can be found at the below link: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
youits a software programming code issue of the game
younot an issue on my system, this issue is occuring for over 200 people
yousee forum posts across the internet
SamratI understand.
SamratI need to troubleshoot the issue.
youok
youwhat next
SamratMay I know if you have followed the Clean boot steps?
youI rebooted the other system
SamratOkay
SamratPlease follow these steps:
Samrat1. Click the “Start” button.
2. Click “Control Panel”.
3. Click “System”.
4. Click “Advanced System Settings.”

Provide Administrator password or confirmation if prompted.

5. Under “Performance”, click “Settings”.
6. Click the “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
7. Click the radial button next to “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.”
8. Choose the game you want to add an exception for and click “Add”.
youk done
SamratThanks
SamratI would request you to please carry out the following steps to provide me the content through a file.
So that I can check the PC configuration through that content.
· Hold the Windows key + R and type dxdiag into the Run box, then hit Enter or click OK.
· If a dialog box comes up, click Yes.
· If there is a Run 64-bit DXDiag button next to the Help button, click it.
· When the progress bar in the lower right corner of the program is done, click the Save All Information button.
· Save the information to the computer’s Desktop so it can be easily found.
· Copy and paste the content under the  DISPLAY DEVICES and SYSTEM INFORMATION separately.
youPlease note I have a report ID of 060b614b80002c8e
youvia origin error reporter
you------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report: 3/20/2014, 03:42:15 Machine name: PRYNCE-HP Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard System Model: h8-1221 BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/07/12 10:24:00 Ver: 7.12 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 8148MB RAM Page File: 2981MB used, 13312MB available Windows Dir: C:\Windows DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent) System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode
you--------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7570 Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x675D) DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz) Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_675D&SUBSYS_90B51B0A&REV_00 Display Memory: 730 MB Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB Shared Memory: 3818 MB Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz) Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model: NS-24E40SNA14 Monitor Id: BBY0042 Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz) Output Type: HDMI Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1124 (English) Driver Version: 8.960.11.2000 DDI Version: 11 Driver Model: WDDM 1.1 Driver Attributes: Final Retail Driver Date/Size: 6/7/2012 17:11:08, 1067520 bytes WHQL Logo'd: Yes WHQL Date Stamp: Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-241D-11CF-DE7C-BFB0BEC2C535} Vendor ID: 0x1002 Device ID: 0x675D SubSys ID: 0x90B51B0A Revision ID: 0x0000 Driver Strong Name: oem181.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_NI:8.960.11.2000Tongue outci\ven_1002&dev_675d&subsys_90b51b0a Rank Of Driver: 00E60001 Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2R
SamratThanks
youPonders
youhmm
youyes?
There may be a problem communicating with Samrat. Please wait while your chat is transferred to another EA Advisor.
You are not currently in a chat session.
You are now ready to chat with Deepak.
youwow
DeepakThanks for contacting EA Customer Experience, my name is Deepak. How may I assist you today?
youDo I have to fracken start over again?
youWhat is the story?
DeepakI am sorry for the trouble.
DeepakI am reviewing you previous chat with the Samrat.
youkk
DeepakThanks for being on hold .
DeepakI checked your conversation with Samrat and you're getting error message Please make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed.
DeepakIs that right ?
youyes
DeepakThe error message which you're getting is due to the corrupt MSDN files.
DeepakAnd we need to update them so game can work.
youmsdn files?
youokay
youwhat do I do?>
DeepakTo update these files you need to contact your System vendor.
DeepakPlease contact them and ask them for the update.
younice try to pass the buck

Message 3 of 89 (311,934 Views)

★★★ Newbie

http://help.ea.com/en/article/command-conquer-generals-and-command-conquer-zero-hour-direct-x-8-1-er...

^^^^^  This solved the problem for me on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine ^^^^^

There were 2x copies "dbghelp.dll" in my Zero Hour folder, nuking both fixed it.

God help anyone that uses EA chat help....

Message 4 of 89 (322,272 Views)

★ Novice

^THIS FIXED IT!

Message 5 of 89 (293,541 Views)

★★★ Newbie

"Sorry, that page doesn't exist!"

Message 6 of 89 (285,156 Views)

★ Novice

Received the same DirectX 8.1 error trying to play C&C Zero Hour using the Origin software on Win 10 x64.

None of the options.ini, resolution changes, .dll files deletion worked for me. Enabling GPU Scaling using my AMD video card software did the trick however. 

Hopefully this helps someone out and gets them to playing the game faster Standard smile

Message 7 of 89 (282,342 Views)

★★ Guide

By the way, DirectX 8.1 is not a version of DirectX which comes shipped with Windows. You need to install DirectX 9.0c (which apparently contains it) manually:

1. Download this redistributable package from Microsoft
  2. Run it, then tell it to extract the necessary files to any folder of your choosing (one you'll easily browse to)
  3. After it's finished, go to that folder and run DXSETUP.exe as administrator.
  4. Reboot your computer once the installation is finished.

This will resolve the missing DirectX library issue for C&C Generals, C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, C&C Red Alert 3, C&C 4 Tiberian Twilight and their expansions, as well as the Battle for Middle-earth series.

Message 8 of 89 (282,326 Views)

★ Guide

As stated always have the Direct X 9.0c June 2010 offline install at hand I always have a copy of it, because I install it when I do a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ult 64bit.

Message 9 of 89 (282,020 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So it is now late 2017. This is still an issue. Can you maybe have the team actually work on this? Thanks that would be swell.

Message 10 of 89 (279,214 Views)