Message 21 of 35 (7,584 Views)

Re: Command and conquer ultimate collection/ C&Q 4 issue

★★★ Newbie

Windows 7 64 bit

thanks!

Message 22 of 35 (7,576 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It shows the title page then crashes without giving a reason I found the Missing dll error after running "troubleshoot compatibility"

Message 23 of 35 (7,577 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The "ADMIN shield" also appears on the desktop icon.

Message 24 of 35 (7,572 Views)

★ Pro

Try running the game as an admin, (be on an admin account and right click the launcher-run as administrator).

Message 25 of 35 (7,570 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried running a admin still crashes after first screen.

Message 26 of 35 (7,568 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

C&C4 is notoriously hard to troubleshoot as it tends to crash randomly and just plain not work without any apparent reason or obvious fix.

Try this:

Check that your .NET is up to date. You can check this through Windows Update.

If that doesn't work you can see if this works for you:

I was able to discover that the CNC4LauncherUpdate.exe file is something that is being dynamically being created when the CNC4.exe file is launched/executed.

I discovered this when I initially attempted to move the file from it's location \AppsData\Local\Temp as I was theorizing that the file was corrupted. When I started CnC4, the file got recreated.

Which explained two things:
a. Why the file was in the AppsData\Local\TEMP folder (if it was being dynamically created in the CnC4 Program Folder, Win7 sometimes has this habit of confirming if you would like to create a file/folder if it was created under "Program Files")
b. Why the error message states that it was incompatible. It was not really incompatible, but rather, it was a CORRUPTED executable file, which upon an attempted execution, Windows detects as an "incompatible executable" file to the current version. Additional proof was that the Error/Debug Windows stating "Unsupported 16-bit Application", and at the same time "Check your system whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program". It was incompatible either as a 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit version simply because = it's corrupted.

Which led me to theorize that this file corruption can be caused by 2 things:
a. A process was preventing the (timely?) transfer of data from... wherever...
b. A process was preventing the proper "writing" of this data, to the file "CnC4LauncherUpdate.exe"

So, to mitigate the 2 situations above, I did the following:
a. In my firewall/proxy/web caching/web scanning programs, I allowed the following files unlimited access to anywhere:
---a.1. CNC4.exe
---a.2. EADM.exe
---a.3. CnC4LauncherUpdate.exe
b. In my proxy/firewall/web scanner programs, I excluded the EA.COM website from being filtered/scanned/cached
c. In my file scanners (virus/trojan/shadowcopy/etc), I excluded the following folders/files from being touched/scanned
---c.1. CnC4 Program Folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight)
---c.2. EA Download Manager Program Folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\EADM)
---c.3. CnC4LauncherUpdate.exe specifically
d. I manually forced FULL security permissions to Administrator + my User Account to the C:\Users\(My username)\AppData\Local\Temp

After doing the above steps, I ran the game, and it worked without any issues (well, except for the mouse cursor going invisible, which was easily fixed by disabling mouse pointer trails - but this is another issue altogether).

Past this, can you check your Reliability monitor for any reports in relation to the crash?

To do so, open the search box and type: reliability monitor

Look for a red x that matches the C&C4 crash and post up the details of the report.

Message 27 of 35 (7,557 Views)

★ Pro

There's also this here: https://help.ea.com/article/command-conquer-4-tiberian-twilight--black-screen-workaround

I'd probably recommend trying it before you try the things in the post above, if you haven't already.

Message 28 of 35 (7,545 Views)

Red alert 1 ssleay32.dll

★★★★★ Newbie

I am trying to run my game and every time I click on it it says "Missing required file "ssleay32.dll". Any help on this would be apprecated. I have played this game on my older computer and I liked it a lot and when I bought it on my new computer it won't work. I have a Windows 7 os. 

Thank you for your help

Message 29 of 35 (7,526 Views)

Re: Continuously getting an error of "missing ssleay32.dll" when i try to play command &am

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I got it to work, easy method too, just change your pc res 800x600, launch any of the c&c titles then change the setting in game to you previous res, then exit out and change your pc back to its normal res...all of c&c titles will be fixed so you can see them to the menu screen and just change those as well

Message 30 of 35 (7,367 Views)