Re: Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection won't launch in Origin

by Nyerguds

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I'm trying to get Tiberian Sun working. I tried to do the Red Alert 2 above instructions. It's still not working, If someone could help figure it out...

-Thanks

Message 11 of 36 (12,665 Views)

★★ Novice

the solution worked for me for a brief moment then the screen went black and i only hear the audio but all i got is a black screen. i trued to re-launch the game and im back to where i came from, the game wont launch...any ideas?

Message 12 of 36 (12,490 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Can't get C&C 3 and KW to run from the Ultimate Collection.  Finally got Twilight and Generals to work, but 3 will not make it past the splash screen after selecting to load basic game or KW.  Icon shows up in task bar then disappears after about 30 seconds of the splash screen.  Clicked on the icon on the task bar it is said missing ssleay32.dll file.  I have tried turning off the Origin's in game, turning off UAC, re downloading several times.  I am running windows 7 ultimate 64, AMD phenom II processor.  Any help would be great.

Message 13 of 36 (12,443 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

You don't have to turn off user account control. You just have to run the game as administrator, in the correct compatibility mode. For more info, see this thread.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 14 of 36 (12,429 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this did not work at all

Message 15 of 36 (11,788 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just opened the game package (new) got set up with Origin and found out the game won't download or should I say none of the 17 games will download to play after I entered the product code. I guess I need to check the expiration date on the package before I open it, Oh wait there isn't one.....  Rip Off I guess....  Thought E A Games was a good company, once....

Message 16 of 36 (11,696 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@1bigjoe Uh... entering the code doesn't automatically download all the games. You need to specifically click the game and tell it to download before you can actually play. If that's what you're doing... are you getting any error messages?

(Side note: given the fact a bunch of these 17 "games" are actually expansion packs, the bundle only adds 9 game items.)

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 17 of 36 (11,689 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey i didn't find the step 4, can you post some screeshots please :D

Message 18 of 36 (10,749 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@AzizSoul

Not sure if it's a good solution - the -w thing just makes certain games run in windowed mode as far as I know. It does nothing on C&C1 and RA1, and on TS and RA2 it requires that you make sure the game is set to run in 16 bit colours, which was only actually added to the compatibility options since Windows 10, as far as I know, meaning that on older Windows versions you need to put your entire system in 16 bit colour mode.

There's a more elegant solution for RA2, that doesn't require such drastic measures, namely the graphics system patch DDWrapper. Here are all the unofficial patches for the early generation of C&C games:

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Message 19 of 36 (10,731 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Lifesaver.

Message 20 of 36 (10,553 Views)