CnC Zero Hour Serial Key not valid

by gilbert53

Original Post

Accepted Solution

CnC Zero Hour Serial Key not valid

[ Edited ]
★ Newbie

I install my copy of CnC Zero Hour from my first decade disk with no problems.  When I try to play multiplayer online I get a message stating that my serial key is invalid.  I do not know what the problem is since this is my cd key right out of the box.  Is there a way to get and change the key to one that will work to play online?

Gilbert53

Message 1 of 5 (11,701 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: CnC Zero Hour Serial Key not valid

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Don't listen to Methuselah, EA tech support will most likely be useless. Try this instead:

1.On your windows machine click on start and in the (Search for programs and files) box type in regedit and open regedit.exe

2. Next click on the little arrow next to the folder named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and make your way to ergc directory the full path is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Electronic Arts -> EA Games -> Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour -> ergc

Note: If you cannot find Wow6432Node then ignore it and procees to Electronic Arts -> EA Games Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour -> ergc. Thanks to Khalilz for pointing this out.

3. Click on the ergc directory and right click on Default (located on the right side under Name) and Modify it.

4. Now simply add the - between the serial numbers.Write it exactly how its written on the game you bought. if you notice It only displays your serial number without the - between the code so you will just need to add them in

for example change it from 123A5678B8CDD3D3P0P0 to 123A-5678-B8CD-D3D3-P0P0 now try playing the same you should be able to play it online 

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (12,107 Views)

All Replies

Champion

Generally you would direct that sort of thing though

https://help.ea.com/

but I don't think there is any support there at all for any C&C at this point so hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

Message 2 of 5 (11,680 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Don't listen to Methuselah, EA tech support will most likely be useless. Try this instead:

1.On your windows machine click on start and in the (Search for programs and files) box type in regedit and open regedit.exe

2. Next click on the little arrow next to the folder named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and make your way to ergc directory the full path is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Electronic Arts -> EA Games -> Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour -> ergc

Note: If you cannot find Wow6432Node then ignore it and procees to Electronic Arts -> EA Games Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour -> ergc. Thanks to Khalilz for pointing this out.

3. Click on the ergc directory and right click on Default (located on the right side under Name) and Modify it.

4. Now simply add the - between the serial numbers.Write it exactly how its written on the game you bought. if you notice It only displays your serial number without the - between the code so you will just need to add them in

for example change it from 123A5678B8CDD3D3P0P0 to 123A-5678-B8CD-D3D3-P0P0 now try playing the same you should be able to play it online 

Message 3 of 5 (12,108 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this same problem and did this same fix but it didn't work.  I checked the serial number for generals and it doesn't have the dashes but I can get on generals online fine, just a problem with zero hour online.  Anyone come across this problem before? 

Message 4 of 5 (11,072 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I pursued this solution for TUC - Command and Conquer Red Alert 3. I changed the following:

... // Electronic Arts -> EA Games -> Command and Conquer Red Alert 3

I change the value of (Default) to my product code as seen under "Game Info" in Origin. No luck - same error.

I also undid this change and then ...

// Electronic Arts -> EA Games -> Command and Conquer Red Alert 3

created new key (folder) named ergc (which did not exist), and changed the Default value to my product code.

I also tried both of these solutions in combination with no luck. I tried entering my product code with and without dashes, as I have seen solutions post to do one or the other - but no luck.

Does anyone have another solution, or has anyone had this solution work for RA3 or other TUC (The Ultimate Collection) Games?

Message 5 of 5 (11,032 Views)