C&C generals won't install

by chrissher7

Original Post

C&C generals won't install

★★★ Novice
I have c&c generals deluxe and have been having problems with it. After uninstalling it to reinstall and patch (It wouldn't patch and the potential fix I read had reinstall as one of its steps). It came up to datgen.exe wouldn't launch and an error code and installation failed in separate messages at the end. Datgen.exe seemed to fix itself (Or I fixed it by making it read only not sure) but now every time I try to install it gives me installation failed at the end with error code 1628 (May be the same as before datgen.exe stopped being a problem, I can't remember). I installed it on another windows 8.1 computer (The comp I am having problems on is windows 8.1 the game ran fine when installed even though it would not patch) so I don't think it is the discs. Before the error comes up it says do you want to run it now (It does not come up with online registration like in the successful installs maybe that is it) Another strange thing is that it asks for disk 2 too early (14% successful installs are 38%) maybe that is it. Can someone please help
Message 1 of 2 (1,079 Views)

Re: C&C generals won't install

★★★ Novice
Now it has gone back to datgen.exe I have tried compatability modes but it always gives an error before beginning to install (After updating product registration or something like that) unable to launch datgen.exe. Can someone PLEASE help it shouldn't be impossible to install it is unacceptable that I should have to post here.
Message 2 of 2 (1,072 Views)