C&C Ultimate Collection 3 games don't work

by bralmajoor

Original Post

Accepted Solution

C&C Ultimate Collection 3 games don't work

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've just bought Command and Conquer the Ultimate pack and 3 games don't work. The others work fine.

Red alert 3 and C&C 3 (Uprising and Kane's Wrath included) only give me the splash screen when i try to launch the game, after this nothing happens. The game doesn't start.

And when I start C&C 4 it gives me a login page for EA Account which i don't have. When i try to create one it goes to a webpage that does not exist anymore. (i'm not asking for a solution to get past the login screen by registering somewhere i just want to play this game like i can play other games: by clicking the icon and play the game)

I've seen multiple questions about this issue and none seem to be solved satisfactory (or at least don't work for me). So this thread is mainly for EA hoping they will update the Ultimate Collection or make the games work in some other way.

The games are being run on a laptop from 2011 with Windows 7 64 bit. But this shouldn't be the problem since the other games (actually ALL games) run fine on it.

Furthermore these 3 games are the newest in the C&C Franchise and you would more likely expect the older ones to not load or something...

Below are the splash screens from Red Alert 3 and C&C3 as well as the login screen from C&C4

Message 1 of 9 (3,092 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: C&C Ultimate Collection 3 games don't work

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bralmajoor

I heard that the C&C4 thing can be solved by starting the game's executable directly from Windows explorer, without going through Origin. Not sure if that's correct, though, so if that indeed works, could you confirm that?

(if you don't know how to get through the game folder, you can follow these instructions)

As for the others, the classic fix is to set/change the compatibility modes on the executable files of the game.

Not sure if you simply had no problems with the older games, or if you simply haven't tried them, but they do have some serious and often game-breaking bugs that can occur while playing. Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (3,566 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bralmajoor

I heard that the C&C4 thing can be solved by starting the game's executable directly from Windows explorer, without going through Origin. Not sure if that's correct, though, so if that indeed works, could you confirm that?

(if you don't know how to get through the game folder, you can follow these instructions)

As for the others, the classic fix is to set/change the compatibility modes on the executable files of the game.

Not sure if you simply had no problems with the older games, or if you simply haven't tried them, but they do have some serious and often game-breaking bugs that can occur while playing. Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 9 (3,567 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've just installed Red Alert 3 (from the ultimate collection on origin) on another pc and it runs fine without changing anything. Also Windows 7 64 bit (pc from 2008 Standard smile

Haven't installed c&c3 and c&c4 on this other pc though. Maybe i will in the following days.

Another thing to add: this has definitely to do with origin because i also bought Red Alert 3 on steam via g2a and it runs fine, again without changing anything. Installed on 2011 laptop.

My guess is that the games that are not working are being influenced by some stuff that's installed on my laptop (although it's still no excuse because steam ran red alert 3 without any changes or problems).

So a clean install of Windows should overcome this problem.

p.s. running c&c4 from the executable in the folder doesn't work. Still get the login screen

Message 3 of 9 (3,040 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The solution for RA 2 got it running correctly, although it crashed going into episode 4. I'm running Win 10 Professional (64bit) on a HP laptop, Core i5, with dual graphics. It had run correctly under Win 7 until I "upgraded" to 10.

Message 4 of 9 (2,965 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@micromisterphone

Annoying... I suggest you fiddle around with the compatibility mode on the exe file, then.

I heard the game has problems on Win10, but so far, I haven't heard of any definite solution.

Message 5 of 9 (2,958 Views)

★ Novice

How about C&C: Generals or Zero Hour ...most favorite games ever created by ea and so sad that i cant play even though they are through Origin...any help Please...

Message 6 of 9 (2,857 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@bralmajoor

Hello : )

My brother solved the login-issue on his end by using his origin-login. Maybe this will work for you and some others as well?

The other things I have to think about some more but community patches can maybe do the trick for you.

*thinking / listening*

Message 7 of 9 (2,810 Views)

★ Novice

thanks but i can login into origin just fine but i cant launch the C&C games for nothing....and that is the whole problem...

Message 8 of 9 (2,804 Views)

★ Novice

thanks but i can login into origin just fine but i cant launch the C&C games for nothing....and that is the whole problem...

Message 9 of 9 (2,799 Views)