A problem on running Red Alert II in local network

by running_wolf3

Original Post

Accepted Solution

A problem on running Red Alert II in local network

★★ Novice

When I run Red Alert II & Yuri's Revenge, I cannot play with others in local network.  Every time I click on "Network", it just returns to the main menu.  I have allowed firewall.  Where is wrong?

Message 1 of 4 (92,463 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: A problem on running Red Alert II in local network

[ Edited ]
Hero

@running_wolf3 

The game's LAN system uses the positively ancient IPX network communication protocol, which is no longer supported by modern OSes. However, there is a fan-patch that changes it to the more modern UDP protocol, which works fine. It can be downloaded here:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/0_files.html#ts_dll

Download that and extract the wsock32.dll file into your game folder.

Note, if you have the game from either The First Decade or the Origin digital download version this isn't all you'll need to do. As anti-piracy measure, Westwood prohibited LAN games if multiple people on the network had the same serial number. The way this is checked is by reading the serial from the game's Windows registry entry. However, The TFD and Origin versions don't set the serial number in the registry as they're supposed to. This means that the game will see both sides as having the same (blank) serial, and you'll get an error message saying you can't play.

This can easily be fixed by simply adding anything at all into that serial number field in the registry. I explained how to do that here:
Thread: Yuri's Revenge Serial number issue

Note that the network patch may interfere with online play; if you play online it's advised to remove the wsock32.dll file. For more information on online multiplayer, I advise you check out CnCNnet.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (102,640 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@running_wolf3 

The game's LAN system uses the positively ancient IPX network communication protocol, which is no longer supported by modern OSes. However, there is a fan-patch that changes it to the more modern UDP protocol, which works fine. It can be downloaded here:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/0_files.html#ts_dll

Download that and extract the wsock32.dll file into your game folder.

Note, if you have the game from either The First Decade or the Origin digital download version this isn't all you'll need to do. As anti-piracy measure, Westwood prohibited LAN games if multiple people on the network had the same serial number. The way this is checked is by reading the serial from the game's Windows registry entry. However, The TFD and Origin versions don't set the serial number in the registry as they're supposed to. This means that the game will see both sides as having the same (blank) serial, and you'll get an error message saying you can't play.

This can easily be fixed by simply adding anything at all into that serial number field in the registry. I explained how to do that here:
Thread: Yuri's Revenge Serial number issue

Note that the network patch may interfere with online play; if you play online it's advised to remove the wsock32.dll file. For more information on online multiplayer, I advise you check out CnCNnet.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 4 (102,641 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you sooooo much.   

I love you guys.

Now I can play some RA2 with my sons, just like I did in the nineties.  It's brilliant.

Worked like a charm.

Message 3 of 4 (82,474 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I will be very thank full if you teach me  how i can play with my sons with pic how i can set IP and lobby and each step  i am not good in networking plz teach me via pic every steps
I shall be very thankfull.plzzzzzzz 
 my email 
[edit: email address removed]

plzzz

Message 4 of 4 (79,372 Views)