Recent PC Patch causes bugged Character Select on startup

by Screion

Original Post

Recent PC Patch causes bugged Character Select on startup

★★★★★ Guide

Since the new patch i always automatically end up in the character select screen instead of the backyard. In that screen i cannot however select any character.  It will just throw me back to the character select.

The only way to bypass this is to switch teams, which then lets me select a character to finally spawn in the backyard.

Message 1 of 36 (2,863 Views)

Re: Recent PC Patch causes bugged Character Select on startup

★★ Apprentice

I have the same problem and whichever team I open with I have to select the other team and either start a character from that team or immediately switch back to the first team and then I can play. This started after the last major upgrade, I had no problem like this before then.

Message 2 of 36 (2,792 Views)

★★★ Novice
Yes same here I thought I was the only one
Message 3 of 36 (2,757 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Lately the only characters is the zombie that gives me the start up problem.  I can start in plant mode without being stuck in character select and have to transfer.  When I start in zombie mode then I have to switch to plants in order to get out of the character select mode. After I switch from zombie to plant I can immediately switch back and everything is working correctly.  My solution is to always shut down the game in plant mode and then when I restart it will open in plant mode and all works properly.  Still a minor pain to go through.

Message 4 of 36 (2,719 Views)

★★ Novice

Having the same issue - after the opening video or even by passing it, taken to zombie select screen - so I select a character then it makes me select a zombie character again. Can't get to anything.

Using the same work around currently that was suggest - just use the switch teams button - load a plant can get into the backyard fine.

Message 5 of 36 (2,706 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I have that issue too. If I last played on the plants side, it'll start me off in the garden, if I was a zombie last, then I'm stuck in char. select until I choose to switch to the plant side and pick a char.

Message 6 of 36 (2,680 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes.

I have this problem as well. The problem is only when I was a Zombie the last time. Then have to switch to a Plant.

If I was plant then I just start up in the Plants HQ.

Great to see it isn't only me having this problem.

This wasn't a problem before the last patch though.

Message 7 of 36 (2,663 Views)

@EA_Andy I suspect this issue needs some attention.

Message 8 of 36 (2,654 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for the reports @pandareno1999 @Screion @oyskog @Joker808_esq @Triage225

I'll send this onto the team so they can review. If you could confirm the following information it would be a great help:

- Platform

- Persona (Gamertag, PSN ID, Origin ID)
- Timestamp for when this last happened*

The timestamp needs to be recent and as accurate as possible. The best way to get this is to log in again when you see this post, when you get the issue of not being able to select a character record the time, date and your timezone and let us know.

Thanks,

- Andy -

Message 9 of 36 (2,650 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I*ll got this again after many tries. The other cases I was a Zombie as the previous character before quiting the game I end up becoming a Plant in the Plant HQ without any character selection menu. 

But this time at startup I got to the Zombie character I was playing before quiting the game in the Character Select menu. I couldn't chose any Zombie though but when switching to any plant that was accepted.

Platform: PC

Origin ID: oyskog

Timestamp: 11:03 CEST at 3rd of June 2017

Message 10 of 36 (2,628 Views)