EASHL AI balance issues

by SuperTatortot13

Original Post

EASHL AI balance issues

★ Novice

Product: NHL 18
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Literally, play any game of EASHL, I promise you'll find it.
What happens when the bug occurs? Oh Lord where should I start? There are about 7 things I have discrepancies with. First: When an attacking player is moving in one-on-one against an AI defenseman, the attacking player can raise his stick in the air as if taking a slapshot, and the AI defense will freeze, allowing the attacking player to very freely skate around the defense for an easy breakaway. This happens almost 100% of the time, and creates very simple breakaway chances for any user player. Second: Mismatches between AI teams in each game. There is always a noticeably better team in terms of the AI's skill level in each game. Sometimes this can be good, sometimes this can be very bad. However, it feels as though it's a purposefully made part of the game, due to the fact that it is extremely noticeable in most of the games played. The following are specific reasons that make this seen as pretty apparent: ---One AI defense seems to always step up and hit attacking players, knocking them off the puck, while the other teams' AI defense will sit back and play extremely passive. ---On breakaways, some AI teams will take a backhand shot off the toe of the blade from above the hashmarks...... while the other team will take normal shots or even make dekes and can often snipe on user goalies. ---AI's on one team will crash the net and instantly pick up rebounds and cash them into the net or wait on the backdoor and one-time for easy goals. The other team's AI's will miss easy wide-open backdoor passes or not even attempt to crash the net when any player with half a brain would know to crash the net (yes I realize it's a computer). ---Occasionally, AI's will completely ignore your calls for the pass, even when completely open on the backdoor or when trying to headman the puck up the ice on a clear breakout. ---Some teams AI's will make very crisp, quick, and accurate passes through the legs of the defending AI or players, while the other team's AI's cannot make passes 10 feet away without any player in between to breakup the pass attempt. The AI in this game is extremely unbalanced when it comes to competitive play. If the AI were consistently good or consistently bad, that would be one thing. However, making a game mode's AI's unbalanced every game, in a game mode that focuses on the USER PLAYER's skill, should actually be determined on how well the USER plays, not a random dice roll on how well the AI will perform and whether or not the AI will pass it directly to the opposing team.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see AI on each team become actually balanced with each other, and not have one team's AI be visibly better than the other. It feels as though this would be more work for the developers to make TWO AI systems in the game as opposed to one, yet EA's developers have made more work for themselves in order to make the game less enjoyable for people who like to play competitively.
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Online
Insert Game Mode or Feature here EASHL
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) ANY TIME
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? SuperTatortot13
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region. East Coast?
What is your game language? English

Product: NHL 18
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Literally, play any game of EASHL, I promise you'll find it.
What happens when the bug occurs? Oh Lord where should I start? There are about 7 things I have discrepancies with. First: When an attacking player is moving in one-on-one against an AI defenseman, the attacking player can raise his stick in the air as if taking a slapshot, and the AI defense will freeze, allowing the attacking player to very freely skate around the defense for an easy breakaway. This happens almost 100% of the time, and creates very simple breakaway chances for any user player. Second: Mismatches between AI teams in each game. There is always a noticeably better team in terms of the AI's skill level in each game. Sometimes this can be good, sometimes this can be very bad. However, it feels as though it's a purposefully made part of the game, due to the fact that it is extremely noticeable in most of the games played. The following are specific reasons that make this seen as pretty apparent: ---One AI defense seems to always step up and hit attacking players, knocking them off the puck, while the other teams' AI defense will sit back and play extremely passive. ---On breakaways, some AI teams will take a backhand shot off the toe of the blade from above the hashmarks...... while the other team will take normal shots or even make dekes and can often snipe on user goalies. ---AI's on one team will crash the net and instantly pick up rebounds and cash them into the net or wait on the backdoor and one-time for easy goals. The other team's AI's will miss easy wide-open backdoor passes or not even attempt to crash the net when any player with half a brain would know to crash the net (yes I realize it's a computer). ---Occasionally, AI's will completely ignore your calls for the pass, even when completely open on the backdoor or when trying to headman the puck up the ice on a clear breakout. ---Some teams AI's will make very crisp, quick, and accurate passes through the legs of the defending AI or players, while the other team's AI's cannot make passes 10 feet away without any player in between to breakup the pass attempt. The AI in this game is extremely unbalanced when it comes to competitive play. If the AI were consistently good or consistently bad, that would be one thing. However, making a game mode's AI's unbalanced every game, in a game mode that focuses on the USER PLAYER's skill, should actually be determined on how well the USER plays, not a random dice roll on how well the AI will perform and whether or not the AI will pass it directly to the opposing team.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see AI on each team become actually balanced with each other, and not have one team's AI be visibly better than the other. It feels as though this would be more work for the developers to make TWO AI systems in the game as opposed to one, yet EA's developers have made more work for themselves in order to make the game less enjoyable for people who like to play competitively.
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Online
Insert Game Mode or Feature here EASHL
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) ANY TIME
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? SuperTatortot13
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region. East Coast?
What is your game language? English

Message 1 of 2 (2,071 Views)

Re: EASHL AI balance issues

★★★ Newbie

This is exactly what killed the game for me. There is zero capability for the AI to adapt and it usually feels like the AI are all star caliber on the other side when I'm stuck with the peewee group. EA has no idea what hockey is as no matter what you set the AI to do they refuse to listen to the commands given through the settings and will always find a way to screw a player over

Message 2 of 2 (1,811 Views)