Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Problems with Lighting in TS4

by dearlaurin

Original Post

Re: Counter Wall Shading/Lighting Problem.

Hero

I don't think so if you're only one off.

Check the first post if there's any mention as all known lighting issues are listed there

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 221 of 260 (3,060 Views)

★ Pro
It's not a driver problem. I have the same shading issue. Game is uptodate. Also having lots if sound issues since parenthood.
Message 222 of 260 (3,055 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Alainas88 I do see a lighting issue with counters placed along diagonal walls, although it looks different in my game.  The counters themselves do not turn black, but the backsplash on them is unnaturally dark:

06-08-17_10-12-35 AM.png

The difference in the way the glitch appears to you vs. me may come down to differences in our graphics cards/settings, or it may be something else.  If possible, I'd love to take a look at your exact setup, if you'd be willing to upload your build - just call it something like "Test Diag Lighting Bug" - then I can make sure that it's not down to a different in the placement of walls/counters/windows/etc.  Definitely a lighting glitch there, either way.

Message 223 of 260 (3,041 Views)

★ Novice

Thankyou @BryonyRae for getting back to me so quickly Standard smile

I do apologise for the confusion, I used black counters at one point to see if that would hide the glitch and I was so tired last night I didn't realise I had used those in my screen shots, silly me!

I have just updated my graphics card drivers, loaded the game and a different lot to the one I first encountered the problem on. I had exactly the same issue and used white counters this time to better illustrate it. So it looks the same on both our computers now. Including screen shots and my DXDIAG txt file with this post Standard smile

Thanks again!

Message 224 of 260 (3,026 Views)

★★★ Guide

Given the amount of issues Ive had with my primary lot I took the time yesterday and rebuild it completely. My biggest issue with this new version of the house is how the game recognizes rooms and utilizes autolight for those rooms. Im not sure if this is a problem with the rooms or with the way I built them. But regardless, I cant edit individual lights in three rooms. Only the whole room or all lights.
This is the new ground floor:

As you can see there are sims in one room right now. Autolight is enabled everywhere yet the light is on for the whole floor.

Initially I build the outer walls first and then added the inner walls. I noticed the game has a problem recognizing spandrels and pillars as doors. The game thought the hallway, the kitchen and the living room (upper right) are one room. Then I removed the spandrels, connected the walls so the game recognized the rooms as such and then added the spandrels again. When I select the floor in those rooms the game shows the white lines around those rooms as it should be. Not as it did yesterday when it connected the three rooms into one room.

Now my issue is that I could remove the spandrels completely and add door arcs. But they are much smaller than the spandrels. Thats not what I want. An alternative would be to raise the wall hight so I can use medium doors/arcs but I dont want higher walls either.

I had no choice but to replace the spandrels on the lower two rooms too. I placed arcs and the hallway doesnt light up now when someone is on those rooms.

Message 225 of 260 (3,013 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I'm adding an issue to the index brought to us from the Build Mode Feedback thread over on the forums.  Several lights that should be designated as non-electrical, such as candles, wind up being turned off if the electricity is turned off (when sims don't pay the bill).  Other similar lights stay on as one would expect.

Work without electricity:

• A Story of Three Candles (base game)
  • The Definitive (base game)
  • Two Thousand Ounces of Gold Under the Sea (base game)
  • Of Fire and Ice (Movie Hangout)
  • Holey Moley Divider (Spa Day)
  • BrightDark Triplet Totem Candles (Spa Day)
  • Light in a Bottle (Dining Out)
  • Little Light (Dining Out)
  • Candle's Crib (Perfect Patio)
  • Menorah (Holiday Celebration)
  • Kinara (Holiday Celebration)
  • Smoreworthy Candles (Get Together)
  • Peak Performance (Bowling)--Included under miscellaneous lights in build mode but does not have lighting options so it behaves like a wall item.

Candles (or other) that won't work without electricity:

• 3 Senses Oil Lamp (base game)
  • Aglow Aromatics (Vintage Glamour)
  • Four Festive Candles, Ho, Ho, Ho (Holiday Celebration)
  • Lilacs & Lanterns (Movie Hangout)
  • All candles from Backyard:
  • Tawny Tawdry True Dawn (Backyard)
  • lANtern (Backyard)
  • Scented Citronella (Backyard)
  • All candles from Vampires:
  • Gilded Flame Floor Lamp (Vampires)
  •   Large Vaulted Victorian Flame Chandelier (Vampires)
  • Small Victorian Candle Chandelier (Vampires)
  • Gothic Candle Wall Sconce (Vampires)
  • All outdoor items from Outdoor Retreat:
  • Lightbringer Vista (Outdoor Retreat)
  • Lightbringer Portable (Outdoor Retreat)
  • No Fear Night Lantern (Outdoor Retreat)
  • Moonlight Lantern (Outdoor Retreat)
  • Origami Tree Luminaries (Outdoor Retreat)
  • All candles and gel(?) fire coffee table from City Living:
  • Illuminated Pillar (City Living)
  • Loti Lotus Lantern (City Living)
  • Metal Scalloped Lantern (City Living)
  • Obstructo Coffee Table (City Living)
  • Illuminating Silhouette (City Living)
  • Blooming Lights (City Living)
Message 226 of 260 (2,934 Views)

Colour Stairs

★ Novice

Hello!

When I place the first pair of stairs [White Sturdy Stairs] they are perfectly white. But when I place the exact same colour stairs inside they appear black. Even with a lot of lights around them, the colours don't match at all. I even placed the same coloured fences around them [Ladder-Style Horizontal Fencing], which match the outside stairs but definitely not the inside one. The inside stairs match with the same black coloured fence. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Message 227 of 260 (2,925 Views)

Re: Colour Stairs

Champion

@DevTook, this is something that has always bothered me also!  It is even worse with some of the indoor lighting, but even the brightest indoor lights render the stairs a darker gray color. Angry   I did a test with the staircase you mentioned in each of the 3 color choices that particular staircase comes in on the outside and then did the same on the inside.  The results are like yours. From left to right in my picture I have the stairs in White, Green-gray, & Brown-gray.  It looks like 6 different colors, but there are only 3.   I also did a test with the Treadworthy Stairway in all 3 colors that one comes in.  From left to right the colors are Brown treads with beige risers, White treads with beige risers, and Moss Green treads with beige risers.  The result is the same inside with all the colors being darker and muted.  I even put windows and ceiling lights on the story above the staircases, but that didn't make a difference.

The good news is that I don't think this is anything wrong with your game. Standard smile The bad news is that  I just think that either this is the developers intent, or just an oversight. Frown I agree that it is annoying because a well lit home should make the stairs the same color as they are on the outside.  Disappointed  This aggravates my OCD Wink LOL

While I don't play with Mods or CC in my game (too many bad problems with them in TS3), there might be a Mod that fixes this effect, but I don't know for sure. 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 228 of 260 (2,906 Views)

Re: Colour Stairs

Hero (Retired)

@DevTook merged your issue into our lighting problems collection thread.  You'll see we've reported this glitch as # 11 on the index (first post in the thread).

Message 229 of 260 (2,889 Views)

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Problems with Lighting in TS4

★★ Novice

LIGHTING ISSUE

Theres a problem with the counters. Its really bothering me, this glow also happens to the walls when I put lighting in a room. 

Message 230 of 260 (2,853 Views)