Serious DX Game Crash --- Affecting other games aswell!

by The_BIue_Monkey

Original Post

Serious DX Game Crash --- Affecting other games aswell!

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hello

Today i played BFH for the first time ... after 3 rounds i heard the windows-"bling" and i saw a DX Error (Device removed)

So i tried to rejoin ... but all attemps resulted instantly (when the Game opend) in the same error.

First i suspected this is a game problem, but to be sure i ran 3 other DX 11 games

Star Swarm Stress Test = 3 attemps ... same as BFH

Cities Skylines = This worked ... even it took 20sec more time to load as it frooze in the middle of loading ... but it could "recover"

Project CARS = 2 attemps ... result DX Error

All DX Error were the same

I ran DX Diag and Repair of Hardline ... all was good

I have the newest nvidia drive (347.88) and uptodate Windows 8.1 x64

For me this is a serious problem, as this looked like the GFX failed partially due to BFH

The temperatures were all fine (i checked instantly because very first i thought it overheated ... or it ran out of RAM (i run without pagefile) ... both were not the chase ... all temps were fine) (80°C, which i normally have also with Project CARS & STar Citizen)

Never ever had this before (the GFX was replaced 2 month ago)

And as said after restarting the computer all was fine, but as i started playing BF Hardline again --> same error

Its easily reproducable - just play BF Hardline Multiplayer

Rig: Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7-4770K + Corsair H100i @ 3.7 GHz | 4x 4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz | GTX 780 Phantom GLH | 240 GB SSD & 2x 2TB HDDs (game is on HDD) | Seasonic 1000W 80+Pt | Corsair H2100 7.1 & Creative Soundblaster Z PCI-E | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Corsair Obsidian 550D | BenQ G2420HDB (24") & hp pavilion f1723 (17") (after the first crash i disconnected and disabled the 17" display as this was suggested somewhere in the forums) | Win 8.1 | Logitech G27

Ingame settings: Ultra, 100% Scale @ Full HD

Greez

P.s. If this happens again i will make a screenshot of the DX Error

Message 1 of 9 (840 Views)

Re: Serious DX Game Crash --- Affecting other games aswell!

★ Novice

Do you mean something like this http://imgur.com/ztEPytC ?

I've also been getting this Directx crash ever since I started playing.

Uninstalled all drivers with a real remover and reinstalled, multiple times to no effect.

Repair tool kind of works... for a game, if you're lucky.

Hope you find a solution soon, as there are many more of us with this issue.

Message 2 of 9 (821 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Yep exactly this one ....

My problem with it ... you need to restart the computer if you want other games to work again ...

It happend today again to me ...

This is truely unacceptable ... its affecting other games aswell is just something inacceptable ... and i fear it could damage my hardware or windows 8.1

Greez

Message 3 of 9 (812 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same here (GTX660) no solution found...i gave up

Message 4 of 9 (786 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Update:

Okay restarting and then try to play another round....

Doesnt help really 

COuld play for 5min and then it crashed again.

Normally DX Error just occurs after 30min.

And i had case open and full fans running (to be very sure its not overheating)

Its the only game with this error. Never occured before. Not even in the beta. Its also weird that this happens in nvidia & amd.

No solution found for me sofar.

Message 5 of 9 (755 Views)

★★ Novice

Did you try to downgrade your graphics drivers to something earlier, like 347.52?

Message 6 of 9 (686 Views)

★ Novice

Exact same issue for me...Happily enjoying a game and then BAM DX Error, system needs a reboot to even start the game successfully again.

I'm running GTX 660 Ti...I can get an hour of play before it happens, or it can happen 10min in to a game - no real noticeable time frame on it.

I can't say it only happens on select maps / areas, it appears to strike at any time.

Card Temperatures are fine.

Tried latest graphics drivers and reverting to an older version - no change.

Stripped all drivers and reinstalled latest from scratch - no change.
DXSetup ran from ...\BFH\__Installer\directx\redist\DXSETUP.exe - no change.
No issues like this seen in any other games. BF4 for example does not have the issue for me. BFH betas that I tried also did not suffer from this issue.

Assume the DX error is triggered by the nvlddmkm error that appears everytime this happens:

Log Name: System
Source: nvlddmkm
Date: 28/03/2015 20:29:59
Event ID: 13
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: ***
Description:
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
NVRM: Graphics TEX Exception on (GPC 2, TPC 1): TEX LAYOUT

Willing to try anything at this point - I can't play your game without it crashing on me at somepoint.

Message 7 of 9 (678 Views)

★ Novice

UPDATE: I've got a stable game again after capping my fps.

Posting here should it help anyone else.

I've capped my frame rate to 60 and haven't had a single crash since.

You can can cap the frame rate using the following command in-game at the console:

gametime.maxvariablefps 60

You can also do it through a config file.  Create a user.cfg file in your BFH folder (..\Program Files(x86)\Origin Games\BFH  for me) and put the same command in it.

If you want to check/confirm that your frame rate has indeed been capped then you can use this command at the console or add it in to the config file as well:

perfoverlay.drawfps 1

I can only assume that it was temperature related problem since throttling back my frame rate seems to have solved the issue, I still can't explain why I don't have the issue in any other games. Temps were never above 70C on the gpu when the crashes were occurring.

Message 8 of 9 (646 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Already tried this. I have also my FPS capped to 60 and have the overlay

I also ran the Fans at over 100% (there is an option in the programm to speed them up to 3300 RPM) - in idle they cool down to 35°C - also the case is open

I have also other games that are pounding the GFX - ie. Project CARS (i record there at 60 FPS) & Star Citizen (i also record with 60 FPS) and also stuff like Benchmarking (2+h Benchmarking) - and there i never had such a problem

I could imagine that it is a temperature problem - but in the other hand i doubt that ... And that its ONLY BF HARDLINE is totally weird.

I still believe its the game itself.

Greez

Message 9 of 9 (627 Views)