Bad Company 2 and Windows 10

by VietVetF4DvR

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Bad Company 2 and Windows 10

★★★ Novice

Bad Company will not load in Windows 10.  Program attempts to start but will not continue and comes back to the desktop.  Tried using Origin to start, no luck.  All drivers are up to date.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 28 (39,876 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Bad Company 2 and Windows 10

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I've had the problem of this game not working for some time, managed to fix it by deleting the game settings in /My Documents/BFBC2 (delete the whole BFBC2 folder), uninstalling the game completely, and re-installing the game and setting up the game to initially run at normal settings.  I have a GTX1080ti and a Ryzen processor, so naturally thought it might be the processor and graphics drivers, I was wrong.  It seems that if you have ever had the game installed in Windows before, the /My Documents/BFBC2 location for the game settings will sometimes mess up the game.  So give it a try, I have it set at max, with 2560x1080 resolution now, no crashes, no freezes in the game. Even with Fall Creators update of Windows 10!

I hope this helps!

View in thread

Message 22 of 28 (24,165 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@VietVetF4DvR

Have you updated to the Windows 10 specific video drivers released recently?

barry.png
Message 2 of 28 (39,765 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, they are up to date with Windows 10.  Ran a compatibility for windows 7 and 8 and Vista and it still would not run.  Guessing it is not compatible with Win 10 and probably won't be.  That is why I still have a Windows 7 and 8.1 system running so I can play.  Rather play on 10 but........

Message 3 of 28 (39,760 Views)

Community Manager

@VietVetF4DvR

If you are using an 'N' Edition of Windows 10 then see the following for info: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-8/upgrade-to-n

barry.png
Message 4 of 28 (39,756 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok.  I do not have an "N" addition.  BC2 ran just fine on windows 8.1 with or without media center loaded.  In fact after I did upgrade to media center, I had some trouble getting BC2 to run, but it corrected itself and runs great on 8.1.  As for Windows 10, this was a clean install.  I can play music, watch video's, etc. on version 10240 RTM.  So I just think that BC2 has been OBE and does not have a future on Windows 10 unless you guys at EA can give it new life.

Message 5 of 28 (39,753 Views)

Community Manager

@VietVetF4DvR

Can you try running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8 please?

barry.png
Message 6 of 28 (39,742 Views)

★★★ Novice

ok, ran the compatibility check for Windows 8.  Still does not start.  It runs the opening credits just fine, but when it gets to starting the program it reverts back to the desktop.  Running the compatibility program further, it says that the "program is not compatible"

Message 7 of 28 (39,736 Views)

Community Manager

@VietVetF4DvR

Sorry, I should have also previously suggested you try the other compatibility modes as far back as Vista.

barry.png
Message 8 of 28 (39,729 Views)

★★★ Novice

We already tried each of them and none of them work.

Message 9 of 28 (39,725 Views)

★ Novice

This is the way Battlefield Bad Company 2 happened to work perfectly for me with Windows 10. When I had Windows 7 Ultimate installed, BFBC2 was running perfectly. After I installed Windows 10 "OVER Windows 7, choosing to save my personal files, etc., BFBC2 ran just fine. I had a problem with another issue making it necessary to re-install Windows 10. Windows 10 locked up because of a glitch, or one of these updates listed below, according to reports.!! I am just relaying what I read. I don't know the cause for sure..

KB3081424-Aug 5th.   2015

KB3081436-Aug 12th. 2015 (I'm sure Microsoft fixed this glitch, but the damage was already done. I couldn't boot up.)

KB3081438-Aug 21st. 2015 

After I reinstalled Windows 10, and BFBC2, it would load to the screen of options. I could try and make changes and searches for servers, but didn't reach any. It seemed like my connection was blocked and unable to connect to the internet & BFBC2 servers. I have no clue why this is happening.

I ran BFBC2 from July 29th until Aug 26, 2015 ON WINDOWS 10 without a problem because I installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 with BFBC2 installed prior and running on Windows 7.!!  It would not work after installing Windows 10 first, then installing BFBC2 fresh onto Windows 10. I reinstalled Windows 10 three times, no luck. I won't give up and have a solution that may work. If the trouble shooter built into Windows 10 can't fix my problem. I will erase my hard-drive,  reinstall Windows 7, and make sure BFBC2 is running perfectly. Then AGAIN, reinstall Windows 10 over Windows 7 Ultimate as I did the first successful time saving my personal stuff and programs. Only program Windows 10 had to erase was my virus program.. No biggie.

I'll bet you a tech reading this KNOWS the problem, and has a remedy..!! It seems adjustments must be made to the "compatibility" and way BFBC2 loads. I had no problem installing "BATTLEFIELD 3" directly onto Windows 10. It ran flawlessly. It seems games through Origin work fine. BFBC2 works through EA.. I wonder if "EA" will help us with a game 5 years old..??

I would appreciate any input..!!

Lance

Message 10 of 28 (39,631 Views)