amd Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

by mughiful

Original Post

amd Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

when ever i wanna play bf4 i keep getting the  Display driver stopped responding and has recovered so i tried to find the problem i deleted all drivers and did a fresh install i did a re install of the game but nothing works and it only happenes in battlefield 4 not in bf3 or any other game. i really kind think of any other way to fix this problem so if any one got a solution  please do help my gpu is a xfx 7870

Message 1 of 10 (3,109 Views)

Re: amd Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Hero (Retired)

You can give this a try and do it with a driver you have not used yet be it beta or new... 

Video Card drivers and doing a clean install.Credit goes to aT1C for his steps

Note.. with the video card driver it installs so much junk :womanfrustrated: and some of it just makes issues so if you want it this is how I do my driver now as I have my BF fully stable and I want to keep it this way .

First I only install two things from it 1- Graphics Driver 2- PhysX System they can keep the rest :womanlol: See steps below.

This is how you do a clean graphic driver clean install:Credit goes to aT1C for his steps
Start by downloading your graphic card drivers from here,

AMD; http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
NVidia; http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Download the one you have and save it on desktop, you are going to need it!
After downloading the video card driver follow these instructions to the letter,

1- press windows button,

2- right click my computer,

3- press property’s, you will get a new window here.

4- in the new window click device manger on your left side of the screen, you will get another new window here,

5- you will see in the latest window a list of devices you have in your computer, click on the arrow beside Display driver and a small fall down menu will show you what kind of graphic card you have.

6- left click on your (graphic card name) so it’s highlighted in blue,

7- right click (graphic card name) and press property’s, you will get a new small window here,

8- in the new small window click on Drivers, you will see the name between the tabs,

9- in the driver menu click on uninstall, you will now get a really small window that ask you if you’re really sure that you want to uninstall you’re graphic card drivers,

10- click ok,

11- after you have uninstall you’re drivers restart you’re computer,

12- after you have started up your computer, click on your graphic card install file,

13- follow the instructions of your graphic card installer, Pick Custom / Advanced and only check off for Nvidia 1- Graphics Driver 2- PhysX System and for AMD card only check off display driver and catalyst control center.

14- when you have Install your graphic card drivers, restart / Reboot your computer,

15- you’re done.

Message 2 of 10 (3,089 Views)

★★★ Novice

it didn't work :/

Message 3 of 10 (3,076 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Ok update all this please...

Latest version of DirectX see this page
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

Reinstall Microsoft C++
NOTE>>> you need to select the x64 or the x86 file depending on what architecture your computer has. To find this out, Click Start, right click on "Computer" and select "Properties". Under system type is should say "32-Bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System". If 32-bit operating system, download the x86 file, and if 64-bit download the x64 file.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Update your Microsoft .NET framework.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=30653

Adobe Flash Player update
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Reboot PC test BF4

Message 4 of 10 (3,069 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Is your card overclocked?

-Yes - remove your overclock...

Is your PSU rated for less than 400w and has a few years of age on it?

- Yes? Full load of a 7870 at stock clocks is roughly 275w.. not counting any other component in your system.  PSU's capacitors age over time, a system barely getting by over the course of a few years will not longer work later.  Overclocking your CPU or GPU drinks the power... efficiency goes out the window for performance.

Are you using an MSAA setting in the game's options?

- Yes? Need to either disable it or install 13.12 drivers.

**edit** Actually.. I think this bug only affects pre-GCN cards.. so ignore it I guess.

--

If you answered 'No' to all the above then try this.  

Control Panel -> Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers

Restart into Safe Mode

Run Display Driver Uninstaller

Restart

Install latest AMD Catalyst Drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If you BSOD on restart, it's caused by not uninstalling the AMD drivers first... to fix it go back to safe mode and remove the display adapter from device manager like Zorlacc's post had you do.

Message 5 of 10 (3,066 Views)

★★★ Novice

all my answers are no and i dont know how to do the safe mode thing :/

Message 6 of 10 (3,048 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Safe mode -

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thank-you
Killerwhal812
Marshall

If I or Anyone helped in any way please in return make the time to award then with XP please.
If I solved the problem please press 'Accept as Soloution' next to my post so others know of the soloution.

I DO NOT WORK FOR EA
MY VIEWS ARE MY SOLE OPINION AND NOT EAs

Message 7 of 10 (3,043 Views)

★★★ Novice

what version of the program am i supposed to download

Message 8 of 10 (3,040 Views)

★★★ Novice

thanks to all off you but i cant get it to work the one last thing is a hard reset of my pc Frown didn't want it to come this far but there is no other choice im really glad you all wanted to help.

Message 9 of 10 (3,028 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Try this just to rule out windows is helping to make the issue..

Test your windows for errors as a clean windows install does not always make a stable windows.

NOTE: Running SFC does not guarantee the crash will not happen, but it will ensure it is not because a windows Dll or file is corrupted in windows.

This works in all windows O/S vista Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 windows system file checker :] Copy and past this to note pad and put it on your desktop. As open programs can give you errors when you run this.

sfc /scannow, ever hear of it if not your going to love this, it will inspect all the important windows files as well as the windows DLL files. If windows system file checker finds any issues with the windows files and windows DLL files it will replace them / try to fix them. This little tool as well as the event viewer on a PC saved me and fully helped me fix my BF4 issues as well as saved me many a format since I found it. This is the best toy they ever put in windows :womanvery-happy:

-For win7 go to start/ bottom left screen / windows globe .. Right click in search type cmd and right click cmd pick run as administrator.
-For win 8.1 right mouse click start bottom left of screen / windows box and pick command prompt administrator.

1-Open administrator command prompt and close web pages and programs like Origin, Steam etc.

2-Type or copy and paste in sfc /scannow and hit enter, This takes 5 min to 15 min SSD vs HD

3-This can go one of a few ways ..... no errors ... it fixed some errors ..... could not fix all errors...... does not finish checking and errors out ....... and the last one could not fix errors at all :/

4-After its done REBOOT PC and Run sfc /scannow again even if you had no errors the first time or had errors, could not fix run sfc /scannow again and when its done a second time reboot. You need to do this a and get no errors 2 x in a row ...

5-So if you ran it 2x and no errors your safe you can stop. If you had errors first time but not the second then run sfc /scannow again and when its done reboot. You need to get could not find any errors 2 x to be safe. If it still finds errors try and run it a few more times until it finds no errors 2x AND ALWAYS REBOOT BETWEEN RUNNING sfc /scannow

6-If you get a message indicating that it can not be repaired and you ran sfc /scannow more then 3x in a row on win vista or 7 mm you need a format or try repair win 7 :/ But after format or repair and all updates are done run sfc /scannow to make sure your windows is stable same deal 2x error free reboot between them.

NOTE-If your O/S is Win8 or Win 8,1 then you can run the next few command lines in administrator command prompt. Sadly this does not work for win vista or 7 :/ Note: After you run each command line Reboot PC.

This next part of windows scans is only for windows 8 & windows 8.1

Reboot PC after you run each command line and close programs and web pages.

And same deal as above run command prompt administrator.

1-This command line will scan the health of your PC:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

2-This command line will restore the health of your PC and you don't lose anything on your PC :
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Note: If you get errors with the two command lines above and it cant be fixed with second command line and if you are on windows 8.1. Then use third command line but be warned it could take up to two hrs to fix your PC but it will save you a format. I had a friend test this on a PC with errors when it could not be fixed with second command line. :womanvery-happy:

This next part of windows scans is only for windows 8.1 : Credit goes to CptBigoso for finding this..

And same deal as above run command prompt administrator.

1-If restore heath gave you errors then you can always try this command line:

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

2-If you get Error 0x800F081F with the restore health scan then run this command line. After you reboot your PC then run third command line to be sure your windows is fully stable.

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Message 10 of 10 (3,022 Views)