Solution to Battlefield 4 "c0000005" crash

by Lubblig

Original Post

Solution to Battlefield 4 "c0000005" crash

★★★ Novice

Ok, so at least this works for me. Cannot guarantee anything...

But I "found" this solution by putting other peoples solutions together into one. Because using only one of them didn't work for me but I decided to use them all at once and that did it!

First of all, you are going to make sure that you have all drivers updated for your graphics card(s) and motherboard. (if you can update you motherboard... Some won't update because you have like an HP computer or something.) But update you AMD or Nvidia graphics driver and make sure that you have the latest version of the game!

Now to start of, you are going to want to uninstall Battlefield 4 BETA if you have it. Then go to evenbalance and download Punkbuster ( http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-bf4.php ) and update your Battlefield 4. (This is one of the things that I took from another guy here on the forum called "lostdoge". He had a problem with where Punkbuster wants to install itself. In the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 Beta\" was the beta and that is of course wrong. A problem that I also had, so you just have to change it to the Battlefield 4 directory instead which should be: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\" unless you've changed something yourself.) Then update Punkbuster.

What you want to do next is to (also by "lostdoge") go to the Origin Games folder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\") then right click in it and go to Properties > Security    then select "Users" and click on edit. Then you need to give "Users" full control (Make sure that you have "Users" selected when you do this!) then press apply and OK.

Then go into the Origin Games folder and make sure that the Battlefield 4 folder inherited these permissions. Otherwise you'll do the same here.

Then go into the Battlefield 4 folder, right click on BF4.exe and select properties > Compatibility. Then at the bottom, press "Change settings for all users" and choose run as administrator. Do the same for the BF4_x86.exe

Also, right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. Select playback devices.

Find your standard device, the one with the green check mark on it. This is the one you are using so we want to edit this. (Do it for all connected devices if you want to be sure...)

Right click the device you are using and select properties > advanced    and then lower the sample rate from 24 bit, 192000 Hz   to   16 bit, 96000 Hz.

All the above was created by lostdoge. All credit goes to him. I rewrote it a bit though so here is his topic: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/To-Everyone-Crashing-in-BF4-c0000005-Error/m-p/1757855#M28404

Then what I did was that I went into the origin client and right clicked on Battlefield 4 and pressed repair. This didn't repair anything in my game but make sure that you do it so you don't have a faulty game causing your crashes. Then what I did was that I just updated punkbuster again to make sure that it was the latest after the repair. It didn't update so you probably won't have to do it but still just to make sure.

Then what I did was I followed a guy named "steinarsen44" 's advice. So simply what you need to do is to uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable both the x86 and x64 versions. Then uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable both the x86 and x64 versions. But before I did that I downloaded this (A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable) which he also provided: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30679

It will automatically bring up the download box but don't start the download. Cancel it instead and press the "Click Here" button on the webpage instead. > "If your download does not start after 30 seconds, CLICK HERE" Why? well that automatic download box only downloads the x86 version but if you press the "Click here" button you can choose if you want the x86 or the x64. Download both!

Then close all of your windows that you have open because some of your programs are dependent on the Visual C++ packages that we are uninstalling so we don't want them to be open when uninstalling. But then we simply uninstall the old ones and then install both of the new downloads. We should now be missing the 2010 versions though but that is ok. It works anyway.

REBOOT you computer! Don't even know if it's necessary but we've done a lot of changes and your computer may need a fresh start!

Here is "steinarsen44" 's post on another topic: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Battlefield-4-keeps-crashing-on-PC/td-p/1724995/page/56

Launch the game and try if it works!

Please reply if it did or did not work. Please tell me if something is unclear and I can explain further!

Message 1 of 7 (4,693 Views)

Re: Solution to Battlefield 4 "c0000005" crash

★★ Novice

Thank you for posting this Standard smile Hopefully people will start reading threads and not just posting the same dang thing. I'm glad it solved your crashing issues!

Message 2 of 7 (4,602 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank YOU for helping me figure out how to get it to work on my computer! Standard smile

Message 3 of 7 (4,585 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi there

I tried 3 of your suggestions and it partially solved my problems (crash-rate is much lower now):

1) Updated punkbuster - my path was pointing towards the bf4 beta as you descriped. In the games directory (...battlefield 4\pb) all files was from 30 oct 13. I guess that was from the original installation of bf4. After update most of the files have got todays date. This must have changed something to the better.

2) Reduced sound quality for all my playback sound devices as descriped. I'm not sure about the impact of this, but it is a fact that DICE is going to release a new PC client around 2. dec in which some sound issues has been adressed. So maybe this reducing is part of the solution to?

3) Bf4 repair from Origin menu. It took about 10-15 minutes to complete and it said all files was ok. After that I updated punkbuster again just to be sure, but it said everything was updated already. I'm not convinced this did change anything but now its done.

By the way before all this I did uninstall bf4 beta here the other day - something I remember was recommended when bf3 was launched.

Still got some crashes mainly in the atidxx64.dll (8.17.10.525 from 13.11 beta 9.2) - but this is still a beta driver and going from not being able to play a full round to be able to play several full rounds on an evening is progress...

See you all out there on the crashfield.

Message 4 of 7 (4,081 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I did everything on this list except for the last item, and it worked. I didn't want to remove my visual studio compilers since I'm a coder, and didn't want to suffer collateral damage to my coding environments. Also, I tried to start BF4 right after the second to last step, and it crashed - at that point I restarted my machine and started BF4, not a single crash since. I had previously already uninstalled/reinstalled with no luck, but this did if for me. Thanks for compiling all this stuff into one place. And BTW, I would probably never have figured out these steps on my own.

Message 5 of 7 (3,961 Views)

★★★ Novice

Great! Hopefully you can get some xp without crashing and loosing it all! Standard smile

Message 6 of 7 (3,892 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I am actually into programming as well (visual studio, C# and VB.NET) and it didn't affect it. Not that I have noticed at least. But if it works without removing and installing the newer versions of them then, great!

Yes, I thought that it would be good to have everything in one place that I knew worked. (At least for me.) But I would never have thought of this if it wouldn't have been for the people in the post that I have given credit to. So don't give me all the love, thank them as well! Wink

Message 7 of 7 (3,890 Views)