Ask. Answer. Be the Hero.
Keeper
arcaniumixi

[SOLUTION] How To Fix Battlefield 4 "Stopped Working" , "Errors" and "Crashes"

Always receiving a Error or "This Programe Has Stopped Working" whenever you start playing Battlefield 4 or During its startup (basically means the same anyways) I have been experiencing this kind of "annoying" stuffs since I bought Battlefield 4 2 days ago. After installation, you would mostly be like "YES! Finally! Get to play some Battlefield!:smileyvery-happy:"  Than when you click on "Play" via Origin, It starts normally, with a black screen with a "loading bar" at the right hand side. After 1 second, Boom. This Programme has stopped working. 

Searching all over the net, looking for fixes on all this crappy stuffs and errors, NONE of it WORKS.

So here are some solutions that you can use which might help you out. It worked for me since I bought BF4 till now.

[][] Experience Crashes & Stuffs [][]

Honestly speaking, I have not met any kind of crashes so far playing on Test Range, Multiplayer or Campaign. But when I was asking my other friends for solutions on fixing different kinds of error in BF4, They told me that you can update your drivers and try your playing BF4 again. 

[][] RegistryEditing For BattleField 4 [][]

RegEdit basically means RegisteryEditing. You can do so for most of the PC, here are some ways to access RegEdit via different "Windows"

Windows XP - Windows 7

> Start > RegEdit >  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > EA Games > Battlefield 4

> Now, click on Battlefield 4 and you will see a row called "Display Name" if your Battlefield 4 have the "TM" sign, remove it.

> Now go back to Origin / Battlefield 4 and relaunch it again. You can try running as a adminstrator as well.

Windows 8 - Windows 8.1 ++

> Move your mouse to the top right hand corner, and click the search button

> Search for "RegEdit" and click on Yes (If a pop message opens up)

> So the cycle is basically be the same with "Old Windows"

RegEdit >  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > EA Games > Battlefield 4

> Click on Battlefield 4 and you will see a row called "Display Name" if your Battlefield 4 have the "TM" sign, remove it.

> Now go back to Origin / Battlefield 4 and relaunch it again. You can try running as a adminstrator as well.

[][] Battlefield 4 Has Stopped Working (On StartUp - Multiplayer, Campaign & Test Range) [][]

This is basically what most of BF4 Users out there will be facing (same for me). As when I first bought BF4 and Installed, I pressed "Play" and it basically went "Not Responding" and closed the game itself. The way I managed to fix this, was by downloading GeForce Experience (http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience) via their official website and on their menu, try launching BF4 from GeForce Experience and it might work smoothly, no "Stopped Working" or crashes happening during startup or during gameplay. It basically works just fine!

[][] Multiplayer - FPS Dropping so Badly / Lagging so Badly! [][]

This isn't really that common if your area isn't that populated. As the lower the population of your area, the higher connection speed you would be able to received. Well anyways, fixing this FPS Dropping or Lags in Multiplayer Mode is pretty simple. Open up your NotePad and key in this infromation in it. 

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0

After that, save the NotePad to your Battlefield 4 directory, which would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 Beta\ 

These are basically some problems that you users out there might be facing, anyways, If your still facing problems after trying this, Do post it down below and remember to include detailed infromation of the problem your facing in Battlefield 4 / During StartUp of Battlefield 4!

Keeper
ressurected69

Re: [SOLUTION] How To Fix Battlefield 4 "Stopped Working" , "Errors" and "C

use razer game booster for Radeon users https://www.razerzone.com/au-en/gamebooster

Keeper
jerny85

I tried to do everything you write and I still when I try to start the game write game stop working and the game is inserted, this happens to me in single player and Multi Player mode

Intel Core i7-4702MQ. GHz
geforce760m
8gb ram
windows8

Lookout
ibassyi

[ Edited ]
arcaniumixi wrote:

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0

____________________________________________________________________________________

just to let you know that this command "RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1" is now "RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 1" for me personally it works better with "0" or "2"

Keeper
PokerStarPwner

It doesn't matter if you launch the game through the GeForce Experience because it launches from battlelog, try find another sulution to that because it does not help at all.

Zorlacc
Topics: 2
XP: 428
Ideas: 2
Solutions: 49

Same issue bios everything up to date and even turn off virus scan when I play nothing works for very long BF4 has stopped working so sick of this **bleep**.And yes did everything he said :/ 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
M/B ASUS Maximus V1 Hero
Memory - 32 GB patriot G2 Seris DDR3
Win 8.1 64bit
power supply  HX 1000W Modular power supply
Video Card - GTX690
Monitor - Samsung MD230X3 Screen resolution 5760 X 1080 
Case - Antec Twelve Hundred

Keeper
karrd66

i updated my radeon with the catalyst drivers to get watchdogs working.  When i tried battlefield 4 it started crashing at the beginning.  I did  rollback on my drivers and battlefield started working again.

Keeper
MajorBubbles96

Exactly. I had 13.10 or something. It worked absolutly great. When I installed 14.16 to get Watchdogs running BF4 started to crash again midgame. Rolling back to 13 didnt help...

Zorlacc
Topics: 2
XP: 428
Ideas: 2
Solutions: 49

[ Edited ]

I hope this can help others This  is how I got BF4 stopped working off my PC...

NOTE :  If you have a Nvidia Card uninstall the HD Audio driver as it makes big issues in BF4

EDIT.... So after 1 Origin update and one BF4 patch I did have to repair game a few times to get it off my PC again. With the DLC  way more harsh about 6 repair games,A trick I learned if you get BF4 Stopped working and repair game finds nothing then reboot and run repair game again for me it found a issue after reboot lol 

Windows may act stable but as I learned the hard way its not always stable after a clean install and half the battle with BF4 is stable windows. Its your choice or not if you do all my steps listed you could just try the windows system file checker to start with and see if that alone fixes the issue.  Like you guys I have tried every fix I could find for all errors but nothing fully fixed some of them  it just slowed down my errors in BF4.I got some very good advice on this site to make BF4 stable but I just needed that last step and this one I came up and **bleep** it works at long last lol :] 

Make sure every driver is new and update bios if need be that goes with out saying.

My first advice to you is open event viewer and see how many errors you have NOT from BF4 crashes  but other errors and if you have none count your blessings as it means you dont have homework like I did  lol :} Event viewer is going to be your new buddy so make a short cut to it on your desk top we will come back to it. 

To find event viewer ... Control Panel / Administrative Tools click on event viewer then go to event viewer local at the top, this will show you your windows errors.

Test your windows for errors
This works in all windows O/S vista Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 windows system file checker :] Copy and past this to note pad and put it on your desktop. As open programs can give you errors when you run this.

...... sfc /scannow ..... ever hear of it if not your going to love this .... it will inspect all the important windows files as well as the windows DLL files. If windows system file checker finds any issues with the windows files and windows DLL files it will replace them. This little tool as well as the event viewer saved me and fully helped me fix my BF4 issues as well as saved my .... many a format since I found it. This is the best toy they ever put in windows :]

For win7 go to start left click in search type cmd and right click cmd pick run as admin

For win 8.1 right click start bottom left of screen and pick command prompt admin

1 - Open administrator command prompt and close web pages and programs like origin.

2 - Type or copy and paste in sfc /scannow and hit enter, This takes 5 min to 15 min SSD vs HD

3 - This can go one of a few ways ..... no errors ... it fixed some errors ..... could not fix all errors...... does not finish checking and errors out ....... and the last one could not fix errors at all :/

4 -After its done reboot and do it again even if you had no errors the first time or had errors, could not fix ... run sfc /scannow again and when its done a second time reboot. You need to do this a and get no errors 2 x in a row ...

5- So if you ran it 2x and no errors your safe you can stop now for now lol, If you had errors first time but not the second then run sfc /scannow again and when its done reboot. You need to get could not find any errors 2 x to be safe. If it still finds errors try and run it a few more times until it finds no errors 2x AND ALWAYS REBOOT BETWEEN RUNNING sfc /scannow

6 - If you get a message indicating that it can not be repaired and you ran sfc /scannow more then 3x in a row on win vista or 7 mm you need a format or try repair win 7 :/ But after format or repair and all updates are done run sfc /scannow to make sure your windows is stable same deal 2x error free reboot between them.

If your O/S is Win8 or Win 8,1 then you can run this next command / line in administrator command prompt. Sadly this does not work for win vista or 7 :/ It will restore the health of your PC and you dont lose anything and it will also fix errors in the registry :]

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth ------- ONLY works for windows 8 and 8.1

7 - When its done reboot

Ok so now you know your windows is fully stable just like BF4 lol :} Over the next few days or weeks  you may have to run  sfc /scannow again so this command line is like event viewer your new best buddy lol. In truth I have short cuts up for both on my desktop and run sfc /scannow less now but it was daily as I was fixing errors in my event viewer. And now run it once a week just to be sure windows is still good to go.

So after all this if you still have new errors in event viewer you do need to deal with them find out what they are from to be safe and fix issues as need be. And run  sfc /scannow again after you fix issues to be sure windows is still stable it will save you a format. If you need help with errors in event viewer let me know if I can help I will as I bookmarked some good pages. My event viewer now has zero errors now but I still look at it daily :] Every once in a few one shows up and I google the event id and source with my O/s and look for the fix. Sometimes the error is just from installing or uninstalling a program. This page can help you alot ......

http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-1-source-Google%20Update-eventno-11179-phase-1.htm

Now the BF4 part this is what I did after I did all the stuff I just listed  above. I wanted this game to work so bad I  would not work on the game part of it all until I had zero errors in event viewer lol. After all this work I wanted a fully clean install of BF4

CC Cleaner do you know  it ? If you dont have it its free and safe  and you need it for this next part lol  It is a handy tool as well to have on your PC.   http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

1- Go to tools in cc cleaner and uninstall BF4

2-  Go to  my Documents on my C drive and deleted the BF4 folder sitting in there, I have my BF4 installed on H drive but BF4 install still puts the BF4 screen shots and settings on your C drive my documents. And when you un install it stays even in windows add and remove programs. So the point is you want a fully clean install of BF4 delete the BF4 in my documents. Now reboot.

After Reboot 

1- Open CC Cleaner again this time your going to registry dont get freaked out lol. All its going to do is remove fragments in the registry from uninstalled programs, It will give your the choice to back up do so if you wish. First time you run it you may have like 80 or more fixes but thats the normal. Empty recycle bin as well cant hurt all traces of BF4 must be gone lol.

2- Reboot 

After Reboot

1- Run  sfc /scannow  just to be sure windows is still good to go. After it is done and if no errors or errors run it again after you reboot. You need 2x No Errors 

After Reboot 

1- Open CC Cleaner and clean the registry 

2- Reboot

Make sure everything is good clean and stable before you install BF4. Reboot after you do each step ! And ya you may have to run them all a few times before its fully clan and stable :/ 

3-Now D/L BF4 lol but dont pause it or let it get cut off lol I has to be one fully clean install done at one time.Then Reboot

4- After BF4 in installed and you did a Reboot  then go to the punk buster site and download  Punk Buster then install PB and be sure to add BF4 game to it and check for updates.

http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

after all this is done also add settings ......

Run the game as Administrator:
Go to the Origin games folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4) and find Bf4.exe. Right click it and go to PROPERTIES, then COMPATIBILITY and check the box next to RUN THIS PROGRAM AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Do the same with BF4_x86.exe as well.

Run Origin as Administrator:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin and right click on Origin.exe and go to properties. Then go to compatibility tab and check the box next to RUN AS ADMIN.

Disable Origin in game:
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

Make Sure BF4 is set to 64bit if your windows is 64bit
1- open origin and go to My Games
2-Right click BF4 and go to Game Properties
3-Under when launching this game set it to x64 and check off disable origin in game.
4- Hit apply and test you BF4

Origin Cloud Storage turn it off
Origin, settings, General

NOTE +++If you have a Nvidia Card uninstall the HD Audio driver you got from the Nvidia driver install  as it makes big issues in BF4

NEVER have cloud storage on in Origin as it only makes issues.

Latest version of DirectX see this page
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

Reinstall Microsoft C++
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30679

Update your Microsoft .NET framework.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=30653

5- Test yourBF4 game :]

If you still crash after all this double check to make sure all drivers etc are fully up to date and run sfc /scannow again and see if it finds errors in your windows. And check your event viwer for errors and deal with them.

________________________________________________________________________________

I do NOT work for EA , I am just a gamer who will try to help another gamer on PC fix BF4 & BF3 issues. Did I try and help you @ all? Reward me with a XP. If I solved your question please hit Accept As Solution on my post so others know it worked.