Mantle function

"grWsiWinReleaseFullscreenOwnership(displayHandle)" failed with

GR_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST. GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series" (26649),

Driver: 37752832

Message 1 of 20 (10,282 Views)

Re: Problems with AMD-Mantle

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Same issue for me - much better since the BF4 Dice Update and the AMD Catalyst 14.2 Beta. I played for 5 hours straight with no issues but today

Mantle function

"grWsiWinReleaseFullscreenOwnership(displayHandle)" failed with GR_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST.GPU: "AMD Radeon R9 290 Series" (26545), Driver.37752832

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X58A-UD3R
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz, 3193 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. FH, 06/01/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 19.6 GB
Page File Space 12.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Issue has been reported to the AMD Beta Feedback team  :manhappy:

I can recreate the error - die in BF4 and while in the 'respawn' screen, and before you are offered a respawn point, press TAB to look at Score and bingo - crash with error detailed above!

Message 2 of 20 (10,105 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I get the same error.

But if i switch back to directx, every now and then i get an error that looks similar to the mantle one. I can't post the details becaus it actually freezes my whole system and it's not in the event log ...

Message 3 of 20 (10,089 Views)

★★ Novice

Same error, but only after a cold boot. I get the loading/splash screen, then a black screen with a pale border, then a white screen. Sounds are unaffected. I then have to ALT+TAB out and get this popup window:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8568/k4lg.jpg

This is 100% reproducible for me after a cold boot. If I restart I never have this problem.

I'm running 14.1 beta 1.6 drivers with a R9 290 card.

Message 4 of 20 (10,039 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So, I'm hearing that overclocking may be one of the culprits here. I decreased my clocks slightly and increased the voltage slightly and i was able to play 4 domination games in a row yesterday, thats on 7990 with CF enabled and 14.2beta drivers in DX11. Today I will test mantle.

edit: Never mind that! I'm still crashing with dx11 and mantle on standard clocks and even underclocked ....

Message 5 of 20 (10,025 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm running crossfire'd R7870 DD 1GHz Edition, 14.2 causes BSOD'd right when game window loads, full screen/windowed/ and borderless no setting eleviates that. 

Overclocking has only helped with 14.2 seeing large improvements in FPS with DX3D11, and decreases along with BSOD's running Mantle.

First off here's my Rig 

ADM FX8350 OC'd 4.6GHz 

Crossfired (x2) R7870 DD GHz edition Oc'd 1120Mhz

GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 4

16GB 1600MHz DDR3

Corsair 1200w PSU

BF4 Video settings were as follows:

Custom,

Texture to Terrain Decorration                          HIGH

AA Deferred                                                          4xMSAA

AA Post                                                                  HIGH

Ambient OCC                                                       HBAO

Here were my results:

CPU 4.6GHz

GPU 1000MHz (Crossfire dissabled)single GPU

DX3D11 = 68FPS

Mantle = 70FPS

CPU 4.6GHz

GPU 1100MHz OC (Crossfire dissabled)single GPU

DX3D11 = 95 FPS

Mantle = 77 FPS

CPU 4.0GHz NO OC

GPU 1000MHz NO OC Crossfire ENABLED

DX3D11 = 118 FPS

Mantle = BSOD 

CPU 4.6GHz

GPU 1100MHz OC Crossfire ENABLED

DX3D11 = 140+FPS

Mantle = BSOD

Retrying all settings on ultra the first test saw a 30 FPS drop and all the rest saw a 5-10 FPS drop

14.2 for me over 14.1/13.xx i see a consistant FPS gain (10-15) for DX3D11 and NOT Mantle.

My results show to me that Mantle really is not in my benefit to use at this time. Limiting my system severly(1 GPU) i only saw Mantle gain a 2 FPS  max over DX3D11 which clearly slaughters Mantle every test afterwards and certainly expect that if it didnt BSOD on Crossfire(on every setting) that Crossfire would be an equal dissapointment indeed. OC'ing the GPU's certainly increased the FPS and smoothness of the game in DX3D11, i was happy to see 180-190FPS running and gunning explosions rocking the GPU, nice and stable, virtually seemless.

My conclusion is that 14.2 is really an improvement for DX3D11 "incognito" and supplies a test phase/platform for Mantle which is being over hyped to sell new upcomming games so they need to use BF4 PC users as the Guinea Pig.

Not in my benefit...

waste of my time, i could have been playing BF4... not try faulty BETA.... sigh... live and learn

Message 6 of 20 (9,912 Views)

★★ Novice

#1 I have a similar problem, but in general the message is regarding queue.

The BF4 starts up, then its screen goes white and when you alt-tab you get a popup similar to this:

Mantle function "grQueueSubmit(queue,1,&m_cmdBuffer,m_memoryRefSet.size(),m_memoryRefSet.data(),fence) failed with GR_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST. GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series" (26685) Driver 37752832

After clicking OK on it I get similar error messages popping up again and again until I go to task manager and Endtask on BF4.

This happens mostly after some time computer is active and a reboot usually helps for some hours or so.

#2 I think the problem might be with the display driver itself, which is AMD Beta 14.2, because I would occasionally start the computer, do nothing, then go away, and when I come back it will say that MM driver has stopped responding and has been restarted, so no BF4 running is always needed to trigger some problems.

#3 Also, it seems that BF4 gets stuck more (which didn't happen with 14.1 Beta driver nor with DirectX and non-Beta AMD previously): the fps drops to a halt, and the game loops through some sound sequence - eg some shots until you reboot the computer.

In general, it seems that BF4 now drives the graphics card harder than before, as the computer gets much hotter during playing, and I think #3 might be connected to card overheating. Didn't happen with AMD official drivers and directX previously.

Message 7 of 20 (9,882 Views)

★★★ Guide

Hello,

On the above information, Try a old driver and i mean a realy old driver! the onces whitout the mantle configurations. If it will work than? just wait for a next driver update or game update and your problems should be fixed!

I will see you on the battlefield!
Koen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please accept a solution if your issue is solved. XP is also appreciated
I don't work or have any association with EA
Questions belong in the forums. I don't answer questions via PM.

Accepteer een oplossing als het probleem verholpen is. XP is altijd welkom en is altijd fijn om te krijgen. Ik werk niet voor EA of doe iets samen met EA. Vragen horen hier op het Answer HQ en niet in mijn PM box.

Message 8 of 20 (9,786 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same for me!

Ive been told by players to just go back to DX11

Frown

Message 9 of 20 (8,737 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem for me with an MSI R9 280X

Tried old driver, new driver, beta driver - same issue, almost every hour while playing BF4 with mantle. Confusedmileysad:

error msg

Message 10 of 20 (7,356 Views)