Periodic FPS drop after latest patch

by Regimepilled

Original Post

Periodic FPS drop after latest patch

★★★ Novice

Hi everyone,
I heard a lot of people have the same issue, still couldn't find a definitive answer though.I'm playing BF4 on Macbook Pro "15 with boot camp (Windows 8).Before the latest patch, I didn't have any issues and my FPS was normal.Now,I have a strange problem, where every 15-20 seconds FPS goes way too low for 2-3 seconds and than returns to normal. My drivers are up to date, I closed Origin-in-game and that cloud data thing. I even disabled core parking. It's really frustrating, makes the game unplayable. Help needed ASAP.Thanks.

Message 1 of 14 (535 Views)

Re: Periodic FPS drop after latest patch

★★ Guide

Hello Shmuck-of-Ages,

This is a known issue and I am sure the developers are on top of this situation. I would recommend you to wait until a new patch is out.

Even though I am not positive that the following recommendation will work but you can give it a try.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't install Dragon's Teeth DLC after performing the steps below.

However, feel free to play any other DLC you want.

1. Go to My Documents and remove Battlefield 4 older. 
2. Be warned you do have to set up your in game settings again. 
3. Repair Battlefield 4 through Origin. 
4. When done go launch your game. 

Personally, even though I am playing on a mid-end 2011 PC build, I am still getting a nice 70 FPS on Medium settings without any FPS drop.

-----------------------------------------
If you believe that this answer was helpful, please click the XP button right down below. If this solution worked then accept this post as solution.

Message 2 of 14 (526 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wow,so I have to wait to play the game that I payed a lot of money to because developers' mistake ?! Excuse my language but that's a f'ing disgrace.And EA doesn't even provide answers themselves.Pathetic.

Message 3 of 14 (508 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi Shmuck-of-Ages have you looked into other programs doing it when your in BF4?...

Others have said if they uninstall MSI Afterburner issues / crashing is stopped. So if you have this installed remove program and test BF4. Also look at other programs as Fraps, Geforce experience ,Raptr, ASRock eXtreme Tuner and xfire are known to make issues as well. And I am sure many more programs not listed can do it as well. Just turn off one at a time and test BF4 to rule out other programs . I hope this can help you enjoy BF4 again .

Edit... For what ever reason after last patch programs on when in BF4 can now give issues so just rule them out:/

________________________________________________________________________________

I do NOT work for EA , I am just a gamer who will try to help another gamer on PC fix BF4 & BF3 issues. Did I try and help you @ all? Reward me with a XP. If I solved your question please hit Accept As Solution on my post so others know it worked.

Message 4 of 14 (499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Update :

- I basically use Windows for BF4 only, I don't have any of the programs you listed except Geforce experience. After your suggestion, I closed down every single thing running on background including all the Nvidia stuff, and it seemed to be fixed, but after 3 rounds it came back. Now it's more like down to luck, sometimes it works normal (still a bit laggy but it's not periodic stutter), sometimes it's back. I don't have MSI afterburner either.

- I kept researching and done most of the stuff people do, including deleting HD audio driver, power plan is set to high performance etc. etc. I've done almost everything that improves performance. I even added more memory to my drive. Nothing seems to help except shutting of stuff running in the background. The only thing I can't shut down is obviously Punkbuster and some stuff Windows uses like audio etc. And this is a temporary solution, like I said, sometimes it's gone, sometimes it's back. I think it's pretty clear now that it's down to the latest patch.

You better fix this quick Dice. It's been almost 3 weeks, this is getting ridicilous. Fix this or you're not getting my money ever again.

Message 5 of 14 (484 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Ok so we are on the right path then try this ..

Run the game as Administrator:
Go to the Origin games folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4) and find Bf4.exe. Right click it and go to PROPERTIES, then COMPATIBILITY and check the box next to RUN THIS PROGRAM AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Do the same with BF4_x86.exe as well.

Run Origin as Administrator:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin and right click on Origin.exe and go to properties. Then go to compatibility tab and check the box next to RUN AS ADMIN.

Disable Origin in game:
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

Origin Cloud Storage turn it off
Origin, settings, General

If all this fails to fix it then try this...

BF4 folder in my documents holds game configs and screen shots even if BF4 is installed on different drive. When you uninstall BF4 it does NOT remove this folder. So when you install the game again you can still have the same issues.

1- Go to my Documents and remove BF4 folder place it on your Desktop or trash.
2- Be warned you do have to set up your in game settings again.
3-Repair BF4
4- When done go test your game.

________________________________________________________________________________

I do NOT work for EA , I am just a gamer who will try to help another gamer on PC fix BF4 & BF3 issues. Did I try and help you @ all? Reward me with a XP. If I solved your question please hit Accept As Solution on my post so others know it worked.

Message 6 of 14 (477 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, did all of that before. Didn't help.

Message 7 of 14 (473 Views)

★★★ Novice

And sorry if I sound like a **bleep**, my anger is obviously not directed at you. It's just I'm very pissed that there is no one from EA / Dice commenting on this issue anywhere. It's been almost 3 weeks ffs, that is just not acceptable.

Message 8 of 14 (470 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I know its not anger to me , I had my own war with BF4 so I do understand how you are feeling. My war came to a end 9 or 10 weeks ago and the war started when BF4 came out :womanlol: So I do understand how you feel but this game does run stable and crash free the trick is to find the correct fix for your PC. 

Have you ever tested your windows for errors I can give you the steps if you want to try them? But I dont know if this can be done on what you have...   Macbook Pro "15 with boot camp (Windows 8)

This was my first step to fix my BF4 issues , I never had a issue in windows until in BF4 and for me this was a key turning point on fixing my issues.  And due to you are on windows 8 the command lines I found fixed windows DLLs and windows files as well as registry errors. You may have nothing wrong in either but it cant hurt to rule it out. But like I said I dont know if this can be done on ... Macbook Pro "15 with boot camp (Windows 8) :womanfrustrated:

Message 9 of 14 (466 Views)

★★★ Novice

A Win8 running on Mac via boot camp is the same Win8 on a PC, so yeah, troubleshooting can be done and I've already done it several times,connection,hardware,system - you name it. Everything works fine.

The thing is,the game DID run properly without any crashes BEFORE the latest patch. So I'm not buying into that there is anything wrong with my software/hardware and I need to find the "right fix". Dice f-ed things up themselves when it was running proper ffs !

Message 10 of 14 (460 Views)