Lost 2/3 Framerate in Battlefield 3 & 4.

by Teh_Unforgiving

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Lost 2/3 Framerate in Battlefield 3 & 4.

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

My problem is the following. When I boot up my computer, Battlefield 4 runs buttery smooth at 80-120fps at low settings in the first server. After leaving and switching to another server I lose 2/3 of my fps. I get around 40fps and dips a hell of a lot to 20fps. Even if I don't leave the first server it does the same thing after +- 30 minutes.

I have this problem with Battlefield 3, 4, and 4 CTE. Battlefield 2, 2142, and 1942 don't really make a difference because they don't need beefy hardware.

I have tested other games without problems such as Watch Dogs at high settings, DayZ (we all know how demanding that is), Metro etc.., after getting the fps dip in Battlefield.

It all started with the Medic Bag update.

What i've done so far:

Disabled Origin in-game
Downgraded to latest stable release of Nvidia drivers (since I already use the béta drivers)
Uninstalled Nvidia HD Audio
Disconnected my secondary monitor (which runs on the cpu)
Uninstalled and reinstalled Origin, béta and stable
Uninstalled Battlefield 4 and all its DLC's
Removed the Battlefield 4 folder in "Documents" (and anything left in the game directory)
Reinstalled Battlefield 4 etc, back to the SSD.
Unparked all my CPU cores
Put in a new water cooler for the CPU (which did drop my temperature by 30c)
Installed MSI Afterburner (after issue started)
Uninstalled MSI Afterburner.
Set all my settings to default in the BIOS, so nothing is overclocked or tweaked

My specs:

Intel i5 4670k
MSI Nvidia GTX 760 2gb
2x8gb 1600mhz

Temperatures whilst in-game:

CPU: 45 degrees celsius (Cooler Master H110)
GPU: 44 degrees celsius (stock cooler)

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 8 (826 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Lost 2/3 Framerate in Battlefield 3 & 4.

★★★ Novice

I fixed the issue.

In my specific setup I have 3 monitors, 2 of them run on the Graphics card, and one on the cpu. The ones on the Graphics card were both 1920*1080 we'll call these "M1" and "M2", and the one on the cpu is 1600*900, we'll call it "M3". Before I had M3 hooked up to the graphics card via dvi, alongside M1 as hdmi. M2 was hooked up to the cpu via vga. There are no problems until I start a fullscreen game.. e.g Battlefield 4, 3 etc...

Now i've got M1 and M2 hooked up to the graphics card (both at 1920*1080), and M3 to the CPU (at 1600*900).

So apparently Battlefield doesn't like different resolution monitors on the same device. Still no problem with Dayz etc.. so still a mystery why this happens.

Now with 3 monitors, this is a lot of speed taken away to power these displays, so if you were to go with what I've got, I recommend to at least go SLI or Crossfire. The load is just too much for my 4670k.

Two things I learned too. First, Chrome is a cpu and memory hog, so when I play I have to close all my tabs to get a decent framerate, and two, Battlescreen is a pain to run. Use a tablet or a laptop to run that.

Case Closed.

Battlelog forum post

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (900 Views)

All Replies

Hero

How is your memory consumption before, during and after exiting the game?

carbonic signature

Message 2 of 8 (826 Views)

★★★ Novice

Right at boot without launching anything other than IE (IE uses less ram than Chrome so it seems) Battlelog and the game itself, it comes at over 3-4gb. After closing the game like now, i'm stuck at 6.19gb and never going down till reboot. CPU is at 40% when in idle going to 60 just from opening Chrome.

Message 3 of 8 (824 Views)

Hero

You might want to check out the memoryleak thread at http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Possible-solutions-INFO-REQUEST-NP-Pool-Memoryleak-PC-only/m-...

if the memoryconsumption never goes down this could be the issue.

carbonic signature

Message 4 of 8 (818 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Trying out the NP command. Rebooting now and test the game.

Update: Just did the above, same problem, but something added. My CPU is registering 100% load with Chrome jumping between 20-30% and Razer Synapse at 23% and another Chrome tag of 14%.

Killing Explorer.exe and letting it restart brought it down to a minimum of 57% but still stable 74%.

xx% -> of 16gb

Message 5 of 8 (813 Views)

★★★ Novice

I found the problem. Its my secondary monitors. I have 3 monitors. When I disconnect the hdmi cables, the lagg in BF4 is gone. I get all my fps back. One of my monitors run on the cpu, the other 2 on the Nvidia card. Now with only one hooked up to the graphics card, the lagg has dissappeared.

I've been reading a few articles saying that its an Intel issue. One of the solutions was to install a few Windows updates, which for some reason doesn't allow me to install manually for the Microsoft website. I keep getting the error "This update is not applicable to your computer.", even though it is designed for Windows 8.1 etc...

I'm trying a few other updates to fix this "multi-monitor" issue, but i'm guessing its the limitations of my graphics card, and the processor being under a bugged load. Having a game in the main monitor and the Battlescreen on the other, both running on the graphics card is probably the reason. It only has 2gb after all...

The steps i'm going to do now is to find out if its Intel or the graphics card's fault.

Message 6 of 8 (788 Views)

★★★ Novice

I fixed the issue.

In my specific setup I have 3 monitors, 2 of them run on the Graphics card, and one on the cpu. The ones on the Graphics card were both 1920*1080 we'll call these "M1" and "M2", and the one on the cpu is 1600*900, we'll call it "M3". Before I had M3 hooked up to the graphics card via dvi, alongside M1 as hdmi. M2 was hooked up to the cpu via vga. There are no problems until I start a fullscreen game.. e.g Battlefield 4, 3 etc...

Now i've got M1 and M2 hooked up to the graphics card (both at 1920*1080), and M3 to the CPU (at 1600*900).

So apparently Battlefield doesn't like different resolution monitors on the same device. Still no problem with Dayz etc.. so still a mystery why this happens.

Now with 3 monitors, this is a lot of speed taken away to power these displays, so if you were to go with what I've got, I recommend to at least go SLI or Crossfire. The load is just too much for my 4670k.

Two things I learned too. First, Chrome is a cpu and memory hog, so when I play I have to close all my tabs to get a decent framerate, and two, Battlescreen is a pain to run. Use a tablet or a laptop to run that.

Case Closed.

Battlelog forum post

Message 7 of 8 (901 Views)

★ Apprentice

man the problem is on Battle Screen self i'm with:

CPU - AMD FX 6300

GPU - RX 580 Nitro +

RAM - Geil evo potenza 2400hz. 8gb.

and guess (same lag :D ) .

Message 8 of 8 (704 Views)