Extreme frame drops on BF4

by II-BabyWolf-II

Original Post

Extreme frame drops on BF4

★★ Novice

Hi,

Since a few Weeks I get Horrible frame drops, that come out of nowhere, I can run the game on any settings the drops still occur, normally I run it on Ultra with a 110FPS!

My Specs:

i5 4670k

EVGA GTX770 SC/ACX

2x4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz

MSI Z87-G45

Message 1 of 8 (487 Views)

Re: Extreme frame drops on BF4

Community Manager (retired)

Could you please check the following workarounds and keep us updated:

Cheers                                                                            

Basti

Message 2 of 8 (479 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Same here. In my case the framerate drop develops throughout one or two rounds, within an average of 30 minutes the rate drops from easily 120 fps (v-sync limited, without the system hits more than 150 on maxed out setting) progressively down to below 40 (!). The CPU/GPU graph shows a low and steady/smooth CPU involvement in the beginning (high fps aka normal state) and very peak loaded activity for the processor intensifying within this timeframe. The GPUs (SLi'd  ASUS GF 780 GTX) are nowhere peaking or stressed within the entire duration of the game session. Thus a change to very low graphic settings does not do a thing. It obviously is completely CPU-related.

Tried checking for background processes but nothing really seems to bug the system, closed down every unnecessary process, no change. The CPU (i7 4770K) never exceeds 60° and is watercooled. The only way to reset the framerate is a reboot of the system. System drivers are all current, antivirus (Panda Cloud) deactivation does not solve the problem. The application is being run as Admin. Will do a removal/reinstallation of PB and try the proposed updates and check back here with you as well.

To be honest, this is hardly acceptable since it is quite annoying to lose performance while playing without an obvious reason. It may also be noted that this issue is equally true for BF4 and BF3. Even BF3 slows down to below 45fps and suffers from quite an input lag.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Ben

Sys-Specs:

i7 4770K @ 4.6 GHz

2 x ASUS Geforce 780 GTX (SLi) with latest 344.75 Driver

16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM @ 1833MHz

MoBo ASUS Maximus Hero VII (current drivers)

Message 3 of 8 (468 Views)

I had this happen, and it turned out that the source was Origin in game. Check to see if you have it enabled (it's enabled by default), and turn it off and see if the problem persists or goes away.

To turn off Origin in game log into Origin, in the upper left hand corner click on the word "Origin" in the menu, and then click on "Application Settings". Next go to the "Origin in game" tab and uncheck the "enable Origin in game" box
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 4 of 8 (460 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, a valid point to be checked, yet it does not change the issue for me unfortunately...  Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 5 of 8 (453 Views)

★★ Novice

I have found a solution that works to me, go on C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\Data\Win32 and found 2 arquives WeaponChunks.sb and WeaponChunks.toc create a backup of this files out of bf4 paste and delete them, This stops the lag spikes on my pc but exclude alot of sound in the game.

Message 6 of 8 (451 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bastian: Did all of the above measures you mentioned, still no change.

Message 7 of 8 (434 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay, to give you guys an update:

First of all: I have the frames back! Bad news is, I don't know why. The BF4 installation is absolutely default, no user.cfg, Origin in game is on.

Re-Installed Win8.1 64 clean. So far only the latest system drivers have been inserted, no additional third party software is installed (such as audio drivers for the headset, mouse driver, etc.), the nVidia driver is NOT updated and is of revision 340.52 as it came with my Windows installation. As already mentioned, BF4 got a clean install from scratch, ran it, fps is back to normal - for now that is...

What's next? 

Will now step by step install drivers and tweak Battlefield as it has been configured before, and will then closely monitor if the fps-decrease occurs again, this might take some time but I am afraid that's the only way to pinpoint the problem.

Message 8 of 8 (397 Views)