Bf4 Commander mode

by HairyEagle

Original Post

Re: Bf4 Commander mode

Community Manager

@richiedbond wrote:

Sorry it feels like the question isnt being answered.  If I own the game on the 360 or PS3 can I play commander mode on a PC or can I only play it on the console until it hits the different tablets?  Basically I would like to join a 360 game as the commander from my PC... can I do this?

You cannot join a PS3 or Xbox 360 game as a commander from your PC, it's all separated by each platform. 

Message 31 of 103 (39,983 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well that is stupid my friend. They are all on a PC server somewhere in the world and it would not make a big difference if I joined my brother, who plays the game a lot, and be his opposing commander and hit him with a damn cruise missile. It kinda sounds like false advertising to me, for the reason that they advertised joining a game on the PC. I do not own the PC version nor will I pay for another copy. I spent my money for the game and commander mode, and it would not be that hard for them to make the commander mode cross-platform.

-Sincerely A Pissed Off Customer

P.S. I own a PS3 copy

Message 32 of 103 (39,966 Views)

★★★ Novice

You should be able to play it on anything, that's the whole idea

Message 33 of 103 (39,929 Views)

★★ Novice

Why has the game been launched on PS3 and Xbox without the commander mode app available for download?

Saying that it is coming "later this year" is very poor Dice/EA.

Message 34 of 103 (39,923 Views)

★★★ Newbie

like others have said, it's a bit stupid if you ask me.  I can understand not being able to be commander on 360 from your PS3, but if you can be commander in a PS3 game from your tablet or iPad then surely you should be able to do the same from PC.

Message 35 of 103 (39,889 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@eadennis wrote:

......., commander mode is platform specific, so as a commander on PC you cannot join a friend who is playing on PS3. With the tablet app, it should be possible to join as a commander on all three platforms, however you will have to own the game for each platform you would like to play ......

Hi Eadennis,

I think this is one of the most ridiculous decisions made.  How and why on earth do they allow a tablet version of the app to be available cross platform but cannot deliver this to the PC for cross platform as well.  Develop an app then that we can install on the PC that will allow commander mode for us to use on PC / PS3 / Xbox360 (And future gen consoles) if you cannot achieve this via battlelog.  Writing an app for PC is easier than multiple mobile OS's and on top of that the chances are good that they are using a derivative of C that could be used for creating a PC app.

a further "thing" related to above paragraph.  why did they give (I think) 3 screens to the commander on the big reveals they did for BF4.  Easily guessed it is "Real Estate", being commander means you need to lead and to lead you need info and to get info you need screen real estate.  Having nice big monitor(s) on my PC is perfect for that so why do I want to use my tablet to see minimal info, I will also not be playing my BF4 which will run in any case on my PS3 (saw this comment somewhere) and why not then use it on my PS3 with big screen as opposed to the tablet.  The only problem with PS3 commander, it is an extremely inefficient way to play as opposed to the PC where I can select units very easily and use shortcuts.  On ps3 you have to try and get the units selected before dying with luck as left does not always take you to the guy on your left you wanted and then select your options.  The only advantage the tablet will bring now is the ability to command a PS3/Xbox game by not using your console.  In my view not a good decision and very bad marketing.

I don't know if you can help take this forward but I can tell you now make a poll and ask the BF4 console players 3 options, on console, on PC or on tablet and my guess will be most will want to have it on PC, second tablet and 3rd console.  The tablet is good but I cannot even use it for what I wanted to now, the big mini-map, as this is only supported on the PC and next gen versions.  I cannot wait for PS4 version, then I would have the full advertised BF4 Dice has been promoting. 

Check the stats of BF3 - PS3 is the most players (prob because there are a very minute amount of hackers) followed by Xbox and then far behind is the PC players but guess who got the most out of BF4 at this point, yeah the PC players.  Then they decide to tag on to XBONE that had the 2 highest amount of players on current gen and PS4 left for last which at this point is going to out sell XBONE on pre-orders alone.  Sometimes I just don't understand but I guess they will conjure a good reply.

Message 36 of 103 (39,854 Views)

★★★ Novice

So, I don't think you have any say on desitions but if you can get it upwards to someone who does (or tellme where do I have the means to propose this) could EA or Dice develop the commander app for PC/Mac as they do for Android/iOS and set it free? That way we could use the same app with our soldiers from the platform we have.

Thanks

Message 37 of 103 (39,838 Views)

★ Novice

@ratchet5467 wrote:

Well that is stupid my friend. They are all on a PC server somewhere in the world and it would not make a big difference if I joined my brother, who plays the game a lot, and be his opposing commander and hit him with a damn cruise missile. It kinda sounds like false advertising to me, for the reason that they advertised joining a game on the PC. I do not own the PC version nor will I pay for another copy. I spent my money for the game and commander mode, and it would not be that hard for them to make the commander mode cross-platform.

-Sincerely A Pissed Off Customer

P.S. I own a PS3 copy

I agree.  Currently you can use the PC Battlelog interface to push loadout updates, or force your xbox to join another friends game in progress.  Why you cannot just launch commander mode in PC and place on xbox servers doesn't make sense. I mean, it's all intertwined with EA, it shouldn't be hard to have this feature!

Message 38 of 103 (39,725 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Most likely the reason we cant do PC to Xbox/PS3 is because microsoft has always said NO to cross platform play. No exceptions. Dice probably didnt want to make it only available to half the audience because it costs money to develop. It isn't DICEs decision not to connect pc clients to xbox live, it's microsofts.

Message 39 of 103 (39,588 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@flavoredbacon wrote:

Most likely the reason we can't do PC to Xbox/PS3 is because microsoft has always said NO to cross platform play. No exceptions. Dice probably didn't want to make it only available to half the audience because it costs money to develop. It isn't DICEs decision not to connect pc clients to xbox live, it's microsofts.

Im not so sure that is a good assumption.  We can change load out, we can join a server which tells our BF4 game on the PS3 to start the game and join a server.  How does this differ than to see a command screen where you tell your game what to do.  Apart from that it uses a software solution (Web browser) may it be internet destroyer, Chrome, FireFox, Opera, etc to connect to a back end.  None of what needs to be a MS issues.  If you are correct in this assumption then I should be able to connect to battlelog on my Apple Mac to commander mode as it is not MS as well as apple is approving a tablet app to play commander mode on.  I can start my PC with extHDD running Linux that also has no connection to MS.  

It is not MS issue it is a rush of BF4 to beat CoD.  Problems with net code, releasing a product on 5 different systems (what a code nightmare), there is absolutely nothing wrong with BF3 and in my opinion still plays better than BF4, hope the netcode changes and server patches will fix all of these lag, inability to process the graphics on screen, sound, I can name a few more but not the place to.  Just my 2c, I hate this BF vs Cod thing.  BF has a good thing going and they don't need the little boys that swear like pirates to taint the bf franchise because getting all those CoD fans will chase the BF fans away simple as that, Dice should keep to what they good at awesome battlefield simulation not arcade warlike shooter.

Message 40 of 103 (39,496 Views)