Battlefield 4 on PC with Xbox 360 controller - Needs work (suggestions below)

by GAmbrose1982

Original Post

Re: Battlefield 4 on PC with Xbox 360 controller - Needs work (suggestions below)

★★ Novice

two of my friends and i will NOT be buying this game until this gets resolved. this is unacceptable work! dice and ea should both be ashamed! AAA games need to have polish! B games support controlers better than this heaping pile of **bleep**!

Message 31 of 86 (4,528 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 on PC with Xbox 360 controller - Needs work (suggestions below)

★★★ Newbie

you got to upgrade to windows 8, its a huge performance increase and zero micro stuttering issues.

Message 32 of 86 (4,499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@whatSzat wrote:

@oohollowslugsoo wrote:

This is Just rediculous.... Why isnt the controller fully supported?? Plus the game runs pretty bad.. I dunno why I even bought it on PC now I have an awsome rig and wanted to take advantage of it but nooo... And then on top of all this you cant launch the game like any other normal game you have us launch a WEBPAGE and then launch our game options like that?? WTF is that!!! Game desingers need to fired for that one sorry..

It is ridicuolous. I have a work around for the mouse problem, but not for the free look problem.

I use a program called Xpadder to add keyboard or mouse functions to a gamepad's buttons and/or analog sticks. Xpadder also has the ability to map some special functions such as "toggle" and "set selector".  Assigning a gamepad button as the "set selector" allows me to map a 2nd configuration of the gamepad which can only be used while the "set selector" is ON (when the "set selector" button is held).

Here are my settings in Xpadder:

http://i.imgur.com/cur9LYO.png

As you can see, the "D-Down" button (down on the directional pad) is marked with a blue area with "2^" written on it. This means that D-Down is a set selector, and that when it is held down the functions of the rest of the buttons on the gamepad can be totally different than they were without the set selector being held down. 

Now, here is what happens to the functions of the buttons when I hold down "D-Down":

http://i.imgur.com/aVbaa9y.png

You can see that while D-Down is held (indicated by the button being green) the function of the right analog stick is changed to control mouse movement, and the "right hat button" (R3) is changed to M (for Full Map).

I also have the "Left Mouse Button" mapped to RB (R1 on PS3).

If I want to get out of a menu or popup that requires a mouse, I just hold down on the dpad with my left thumb, while aiming the mouse with my right thumb, and controlling the left mouse button with RB. If I want to open the Map I just press R3 while holding D-Down. It works without any problems for me so far. 

A problem that I'm just now realizing is that Xpadder is not a free program any more . Now it costs $10. The latest freeware version of Xpadder is from 2008, and it doesn't work on windows 7 or 8 (AFAIK). If you don't want to spend $10 then you can aquire it by some other, extralegal method (torrents), or maybe someone else knows of another program that can do all this for free.

I have heard that joy2key is a good free program, but I have no experience with it and I don't know if it has set selectors.

best of luck.

I use a super old version of xpadder, just run it in compatibility mode xp.  Well it works if you have a profile already made.   I used it for free look in bf3, maping my mouse to the dpad and looking around with the dpad.  I use dpad down to reload aswell in aircrafts.

Message 33 of 86 (4,499 Views)

★ Novice

please add proper xbox controller support and show us the right buttons on screen!

it is 2013, this should not be a problem!!!

Message 34 of 86 (4,447 Views)

★ Novice

I agree with everything that has been said.

In addition I would like the controller sensitivity to be variable for vehicles. They turn really slow in comparison to maneuvering as infantry.

I noticed in the beta that the infantry key binding for zoom (LT - Looking down sights) seems to be the binding that controls zoom for all vehicles too. I think thats why the odd behaviour occurs when you try to assign something else onto that button for vehicles. Perhaps it just needs to be separated like it was in BF3. But the workaround posted by someone earlier in thread seems like it should work for now.

Please fix the controller bugs and improve the support though Dice. Hell even with all the millions you just made I would have sat in your office and done the keybindings for free.

Message 35 of 86 (4,344 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Its impossible for me to fly jets with the new configs with the xbox360 controller Frown PLEASE FIX the left trigger problem and show the buttons properly in the menu!

Message 36 of 86 (4,223 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Another thing that no one in this post has seemed to realize so far is that the reload function in vehicles is messed up on the gamepad. I play with an xbox 360 controller gamepad, and I have to press "R" on my keyboard when I want to reload my weapon, IE 25 mm, etc. Same with picking up special weapons, like the powerful rocket launcher on top of the skyscraper in Siege Of Shanghai. Holding down 'X' doesn't work. I wonder if this thread has even been considered by EA. I don't know what their list of priorities are for the game, but due to extenuating circumatsnces, I HAVE to play with a gamepad. Sidenote, I also got a high-end rig in lieu of the next-next-gen consoles. EA, please please please work on this!

Message 37 of 86 (4,161 Views)

★★ Novice

when are they going to fix this **bleep** im frustrated

Message 38 of 86 (4,152 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@d4kr4wd4dm4n wrote:

Another thing that no one in this post has seemed to realize so far is that the reload function in vehicles is messed up on the gamepad. I play with an xbox 360 controller gamepad, and I have to press "R" on my keyboard when I want to reload my weapon, IE 25 mm, etc. Same with picking up special weapons, like the powerful rocket launcher on top of the skyscraper in Siege Of Shanghai. Holding down 'X' doesn't work. I wonder if this thread has even been considered by EA. I don't know what their list of priorities are for the game, but due to extenuating circumatsnces, I HAVE to play with a gamepad. Sidenote, I also got a high-end rig in lieu of the next-next-gen consoles. EA, please please please work on this!

Press Y to pickup special weapons...

Message 39 of 86 (4,146 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is stupid, I've held off buying this game due to the issues with BF3 and the xbox controller and I simply can't believe that a modern AAA game does not support controllers when it's console version does!?!? I won't be paying any money for this game until it is resolved.

It's pretty embarrising if you ask me... SORT IT EA/DICE.

Message 40 of 86 (4,130 Views)