Battlefield 4 on PC with Xbox 360 controller - Needs work (suggestions below)

by GAmbrose1982

Original Post

Re: Battlefield 4 on PC with Xbox 360 controller - Needs work (suggestions below)

★ Novice

"Left trigger freelook no matter what! Fix this now pls i can't fly properly cause im used to throttle on triggers. Already been in the BETA and reported! Even 15 year old games support modern gamepads without this problems."

I have the same problem PLS FIX it -.- !

Message 21 of 86 (12,349 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 on PC with Xbox 360 controller - Needs work (suggestions below)

Message 22 of 86 (12,278 Views)

★ Novice

I can't fly anything in BF4 due to this bug with the left trigger on the 360 controller.

In BF3 my left trigger in jets and choppers was YAW LEFT, now in BF4 it's hard coded to FREE LOOK! I can no longer move the chopper or jet. This has ruined the game completely for me, leaving it unplayable.

As soon as you press left trigger, you will go in a straight line.

Message 23 of 86 (12,256 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm able to use the XBOX360 controller, but the layout is somewhat wrong, so I have to go back to my PC-keyboard and press "close" anytime I open an ammo-box or a popup appears.Annoying. I want to play in front of my HDTV without running repeatedly to my computer for pressing buttons.

Is there any improved binding profile and why has the support for OEM controllers been removed on the PC version?

bR

Message 24 of 86 (12,234 Views)

★★ Novice

I need this fixed before I buy for the PC.

Message 25 of 86 (12,138 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@GAmbrose1982 wrote:

Hello battlefielders, moderators and staff. As a person who really likes to play with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard (as I like playing from a couch on a large TV) I have the following suggestions to make the experience better. 

-Make it so that we can fully navigate menu's , like on console. as-of now, it is impossible to close certain dialog boxes, tips , and menus (options for instance)
-Make it so that we can customize our weapons in the loadout (single player AND Multiplayer)

-Make it so that we can switch squads during multiplayer 

-Automatically change the onscreen icons when you have a controller attached.

In other words : please consider making the controller work and do exactly the same as the xbox 360 version of the game, which I imagine wouldn't be too difficult since it's already coded.

Totally agree.

My solution is to use Xpadder to map a few extra buttons on top of the existing control scheme.  Adding a "Set Selector" to a rarely used button on the D-pad allows me to modify the fuction of the buttons while it is activated. I chose to use the "D-right" button to control my "set selector" while held. My right analog stick is normally set for inverted control of aiming (Ry+ and Ry- swapped in motioninjoy). But I set up Xpadder so that whenever the set selector is engaged (D-Right is held), the right analog stick has (non-inverted) control of the actual mouse cursor movement.

If you do not invert your right stick, or don't mind inverted control a mouse cursor, You might be tempted to just have xpadder set the right analog stick to control mouse movement without a set selector, but it has been my experience that using xpadder's mouse look controls is usually inferior to using the default aiming control for games with gamepad support. 

With this setup I can use the right analog stick to control the mouse cursor by holding down "D-Right" (Right on the D-Pad), and can left click by pressing RB. Whenever I'm not holding "D-Right", the right stick controls aiming as usual. In this way I can use the game's analog aiming control to aim my weapons, and use xpadder's mouse look control to to control the mouse cursor in those situations where I otherwise would have had to put down the controller and pick up a mouse just to get out of a menu or popup. 

Here's my controller scheme:

LT: Spot / Comm                                                                                                            R2: Steady Scope / Sprint

LB: Zoom                                                                                                                         R1: Fire (Left Mouse Button)

Left Hat (L3) :Crouch / Prone                                                                                      Right Hat (R3): Melee , * Full Map 

Left Stick: Movement                                                                                                     Right Stick: Aim , * Mouselook

D-Up: Gadget 2                                                                                                              A: Jump / Parachute

D-Down: Toggle Underslung / Gadget 1                                                                  B: Grenade

D-Left: Fire Mode                                                                                                           X: Reload / Interact / Enter or Exit vehicle

D-Right: Weapon Light , *Set Selector                                                                     Y: Swap Primary

Back (Select): Zoom Mini-Map                  Start: Scoreboard / Menu

With this setup I can use the right analog stick to control the mouse cursor by holding down "D-Right" (Right on the D-Pad), and can left click by pressing RB. Whenever I'm not holding "D-Right", the right stick controls aiming as usual.

The only problem is that the weapon light is toggled any time I engage the "set selector", but this is a minor nusciance that can be solved by tapping D-Right" again.

You can obviously set this up totally different as long as you understand how to use the set selector. Good Luck.

Message 26 of 86 (11,861 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nice to see the community collaborating on this, EA, isn't it possible to simply port over the control setup from the console versions of the game to PC so that they'd work exactly the same? Close as you can get the setups right now, the deadzones on the sticks just aren't the same so you're still at an even bigger disadvantage online, and it's very noticeable.

Message 27 of 86 (11,792 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well after spending the past 48 hours trying to work with the currently poor implemented xbox 360 controller support its a relief to see i'm not the only one suffering. The current control scheme is terrible at best and needs some serious improvements. As has already been mentioned it should function identical to the console version.

I would also like to add some issues i have found not yet mentioned:

1. If you try to map decelerate to trigger1 this results in the tank zooming aswell as decelerating/reversing and this zoom function appears to be hidden in the control settings.

2. The back button (button7) that activates origin needs an option to be removed. In console versions this button was always used for spotting and i would like to continue to do so. I have no reason to be using origin in game and dont want it.

3. The freelook issue is partially fixed using realmware tools - http://battlefield.realmware.co.uk/bf4-settings-editor/ but this results in loss of freelook completely and isnt an official fix. The very least EA/DICE could do is release an official fix for this and stop letting others do the dirty work for them !

I really hope this gets fixed properly this time. Battlefield 3 suffered the same fate and to date still doesnt support controllers properly. I fear BF4 is on the same track.

Message 28 of 86 (11,779 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is Just rediculous.... Why isnt the controller fully supported?? Plus the game runs pretty bad.. I dunno why I even bought it on PC now I have an awsome rig and wanted to take advantage of it but nooo... And then on top of all this you cant launch the game like any other normal game you have us launch a WEBPAGE and then launch our game options like that?? WTF is that!!! Game desingers need to fired for that one sorry..

Message 29 of 86 (11,769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@oohollowslugsoo wrote:

This is Just rediculous.... Why isnt the controller fully supported?? Plus the game runs pretty bad.. I dunno why I even bought it on PC now I have an awsome rig and wanted to take advantage of it but nooo... And then on top of all this you cant launch the game like any other normal game you have us launch a WEBPAGE and then launch our game options like that?? WTF is that!!! Game desingers need to fired for that one sorry..

It is ridicuolous. I have a work around for the mouse problem, but not for the free look problem.

I use a program called Xpadder to add keyboard or mouse functions to a gamepad's buttons and/or analog sticks. Xpadder also has the ability to map some special functions such as "toggle" and "set selector".  Assigning a gamepad button as the "set selector" allows me to map a 2nd configuration of the gamepad which can only be used while the "set selector" is ON (when the "set selector" button is held).

Here are my settings in Xpadder:

http://i.imgur.com/cur9LYO.png

As you can see, the "D-Down" button (down on the directional pad) is marked with a blue area with "2^" written on it. This means that D-Down is a set selector, and that when it is held down the functions of the rest of the buttons on the gamepad can be totally different than they were without the set selector being held down. 

Now, here is what happens to the functions of the buttons when I hold down "D-Down":

http://i.imgur.com/aVbaa9y.png

You can see that while D-Down is held (indicated by the button being green) the function of the right analog stick is changed to control mouse movement, and the "right hat button" (R3) is changed to M (for Full Map).

I also have the "Left Mouse Button" mapped to RB (R1 on PS3).

If I want to get out of a menu or popup that requires a mouse, I just hold down on the dpad with my left thumb, while aiming the mouse with my right thumb, and controlling the left mouse button with RB. If I want to open the Map I just press R3 while holding D-Down. It works without any problems for me so far. 

A problem that I'm just now realizing is that Xpadder is not a free program any more . Now it costs $10. The latest freeware version of Xpadder is from 2008, and it doesn't work on windows 7 or 8 (AFAIK). If you don't want to spend $10 then you can aquire it by some other, extralegal method (torrents), or maybe someone else knows of another program that can do all this for free.

I have heard that joy2key is a good free program, but I have no experience with it and I don't know if it has set selectors.

best of luck.

Message 30 of 86 (11,695 Views)