Battlefield 4 crashing after 5 seconds of gameplay with W 8.1

by dartvoidergfx

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 4 crashing after 5 seconds of gameplay with W 8.1

★ Novice

I've recently installed Windows 8.1 and my Battlefield 4 crashed right after it launches a game.

No error message, nothing.

is it a known bug that it doesnt work with W 8.1? if so is there a fix incoming? I don't want to do a full reinstall of my OS just to play bf4...

Message 1 of 11 (2,836 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefield 4 crashing after 5 seconds of gameplay with W 8.1

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

That might be due to the Punkbuster services not being installed anymore since the upgrade to Windows 8.1. Happened to me as well, every time I joined a server since upgrading my Windows the game was closing itself and Battlelog was showing "Leaving server".

Go into your Battlefield 4 folder and run the pbsvc.exe file. Select re-install services and continue, this will re-install the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB services again (you can check that by running services.msc via Windows + R). Since I've re-installed the services I'm a happy rooftop camper again Standard smile

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (2,873 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

That might be due to the Punkbuster services not being installed anymore since the upgrade to Windows 8.1. Happened to me as well, every time I joined a server since upgrading my Windows the game was closing itself and Battlelog was showing "Leaving server".

Go into your Battlefield 4 folder and run the pbsvc.exe file. Select re-install services and continue, this will re-install the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB services again (you can check that by running services.msc via Windows + R). Since I've re-installed the services I'm a happy rooftop camper again Standard smile

Message 2 of 11 (2,874 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 11 (2,800 Views)

★★★★ Novice

this worked for me!!!

Message 4 of 11 (2,796 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the help, I would never have figured it out on myself Confusedmileyhappy:

Message 5 of 11 (2,764 Views)

★★★ Newbie

you are my new best friend

Message 6 of 11 (2,748 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You are the best man! Thank you so much. I spent ages looking for a fix, even downloaded and installed punkbuster separately and it didnt work!!!! You rock. I sincerely hope you are having a nice day, and this makes it cherry. If you have a girlfriend, tell her that the internet demands she make you a sandwich to reward you for your awesomeness! Peace.

Message 7 of 11 (2,655 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This solved my issue, thank you very much.

@eadennis wrote:

Message 8 of 11 (2,426 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you very much for the solution. I'd installed the update because I'd heard it reduced the frequency of crashing and was frustrated when I first tried playing and kept getting disconnected from servers. Works great now.

Message 9 of 11 (2,408 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey Bruv this is a commong problem yes but when i tried to do it, it didnt work.. anny other suggestions?

Message 10 of 11 (1,830 Views)