Battlefield 4 causes my computer to freeze/crash.

by L8-Waffles

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 4 causes my computer to freeze/crash.

★★★ Apprentice

After deciding to uninstall the game in late 2014 (due to too much crashes etc.), I decided to download and install the game again yesterday.

Sadly, instead of Battlefield 4 crashing it's now crashing my whole computer while playing Battlefield 4. I've tried the search option but that hasn't lead to anything besides things I've already tried.

My computer has the following:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC GDDR5 

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (I'm aware that this is a rather 'old' CPU)

RAM: 2x 4GB 1600Mhz 

I run the game on an SSD, same for my other games (and Windows of course)

Things I've tried:

1. Checking my CPU/GPU Temperature: Using GPU-Z I've logged during the crash that my GPU was 64.0 degrees celsuis, with a fan speed of 57% at 3147 rpm. My CPU is ~40-45 degrees celsuis during gaming.
  2. Checked drivers: I run the latest AMD Catalyst version (14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software) & the driver (14.501.1003-141120a-178000C)
  3. Repair game in Origin: Did not prevent any crashes.
  4. Disable Origin In-game: I already have this disabled by default.
  5. Changing the API to Mantle: Did not prevent any crashes.
  6. Running Origin & Battlefield 4 with admin rights: Did not prevent any crashes.
  7. Check Windows for any errors (sfc /scannow): There were no errors; thus did not prevent any crashes.
  8. Down clocked my GPU & CPU to see if that gave any chances: Besides a lower framerate, still crashes.

It's getting frustrating, again, that this happens. Battlefield 3 on the other hand plays solids and doesn't crash whatsoever.

If anyone has any tips or advice, fire away.

Message 1 of 25 (7,419 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefield 4 causes my computer to freeze/crash.

★★★ Apprentice

Yes, luckily I have been able to fix the issue.

After checking all the hardware and software I noticed that my voltages were 'too low' (in a range of 92-95%). This caused me to buy a new PSU, as my older one seemed to be a cheap and bad one, which seemed to fix the Battlefield 4 related issues (and some other random crashes here and then). The ranges of my voltages are now around 100-105%. If it wouldn't have worked I would've also replaced my Motherboard and CPU, luckily I wasn't forced to so I saved a lot of money.

So thanks for the help for going through all the possible problems, yet the problem was at 'the source' all the time.

View in thread

Message 22 of 25 (4,184 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

It is your pc. Test your memory (RAM) in pc.

Message 2 of 25 (7,392 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Using memtest86 I've tested my 8GB RAM, after ~30 minutes the it passed the test without any errors. I'm also stress testing my graphics memory with VMT, will post results later.

Message 3 of 25 (7,381 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've completed the pass with 0 errors found, so I assume it's not my graphical memory.

Message 4 of 25 (7,358 Views)

Hero

If you look in the Windows Eventviewer there should be a log about the crash. Can you copy paste the information in here?

Also, you might want to try a clean boot:

help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

carbonic signature

Message 5 of 25 (7,349 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Event log is empty, atleast for the string 'Battlefield', 'BF' & 'BF4'. I have no idea why you'd suggest that as Windows isn't capable to log when the whole system is frozen and as far as I know Windows doesn't automatically log all events.. I've tried a 'clean boot', which  disabled my external sound card, that didn't do anything. There isn't much difference between a 'clean boot' and my average boot anyway, I tend to disable any useless startups anyway.

Message 6 of 25 (7,341 Views)

Hero

It should be bf4.exe in there - but if the application don't crash before Windows does it might not be there.

Have you tried reinstalling VC 32+64bit and DirectX using the installers in your gamefolder?

carbonic signature

Message 7 of 25 (7,331 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Indeed, they were all up to date: for safety measures I repaired them using their own installer. And I'm not able to find any logs with 'bf4.exe' from the past few months. Only 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.'

Message 8 of 25 (7,316 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

My next suggestion will be a clean reinstall of your graphics drivers. Basicly you use the uninstaller to uninstall all AMD graphic drivers and software, then you boot into safe mode and manually / using a program to manually remove all remaining traces like files and registry entries, then you reboot into safe mode again, make sure all is gone and if it is you can reboot a third time and then install the newest drivers which will be the 15.6 beta drivers.

To help manually remove the traces of your old drivers I personally use:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

followed by some cleanup by Ccleaner: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

carbonic signature

Message 9 of 25 (7,296 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Alright, I've done that and I'll test in several minutes. So currently I am running the 15.6 Beta AMD Catalyst and the 14.502.1014.1001-150619a-185635E Driver.

Message 10 of 25 (7,285 Views)