Bad performance in Battlefield 4?

by MarthiniL

Original Post

Bad performance in Battlefield 4?

★ Novice

So, this is my first time posting on the Battlefield forums. Anyways, I've bought Battlefield 4 some time ago and the first thing I notice is very low framerates.

I don't think I should be getting those framerates, I'm running Windows 8.1, also tried 10 and no difference.

My specs are as follows:

Athlon x4 840 (3.1ghz, overclocked to 3.7ghz using bclk, overclocking makes no difference though.)

8GB RAM

HD 7970 (same thing like an r9 280x or 380)

Antec VP700P Power Supply (great unit)

500GB HDD Running on IDE instead of AHCI (for overclock, doesn't make a difference)

Case and Motherboard I cannot remember but they're useless for diagnosing the problem I think.

Basically I've thought that bottlenecking was the problem as I've got an FM2+ processor (overclocked to speeds of 860k stable), and they are usually ranked on the weaker side of things, but I've ran across this chart online.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Basically they've paired a bunch of CPU's with the r9 290 and they all get practically the same performance... Some weaker CPU's than mine perform better FPS wise, so what the hell is going on?

I know I've got a weaker graphics card, but the performance shouldn't drop to 15-30FPS constantly, and yes, I was running this with newest drivers on a clean reinstallation of windows.

Message 1 of 6 (462 Views)

Re: Bad performance in Battlefield 4?

The only thing that stands out to me is the overclocking. BF games don't play well with OC CPUs or GPUs, have you tried disabling the overclocking and playing again? Are you perhaps also using MSI afterburner?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 2 of 6 (438 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

It's exactly the same thing with or without. My graphics card isn't overclocked, however the processor is. Even though the overclock does make difference in benchmarks such as Cinebench, it doesn't really make any difference in Battlefield, and since I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be bottlenecked, atleast in Battlefield, because from what I know it's more a  GPU limited game, I really have no idea what it could be.

Message 3 of 6 (427 Views)

@MarthiniL wrote:

It's exactly the same thing with or without. My graphics card isn't overclocked, however the processor is. Even though the overclock does make difference in benchmarks such as Cinebench, it doesn't really make any difference in Battlefield, and since I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be bottlenecked, atleast in Battlefield, because from what I know it's more a  GPU limited game, I really have no idea what it could be.

It's not just OC GPUs that BF doesn't like, it's also CPUs, so can you set your CPU back to stock to see if it makes a difference?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 4 of 6 (420 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @MarthiniL 

I am really sorry about those issues with the game. Have you tried to disable the overclocking, as @ragnarok013 suggested? Loading your system with the Clean Boot can also improve overall performance for Battlefield 4. Let us know how it goes. 

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 5 of 6 (416 Views)

★ Novice

My system is always in a clean boot state, as soon as I install any third party application I make sure that it's disabled on boot. I've already disabled the CPU overclock, no, I've already said, nor the CPU or GPU overclocking make a difference.

Message 6 of 6 (392 Views)