BF4 wont use the discrete graphic card i.e 755m but always defaults to intel hd 5000.

by Diwashb

Original Post

BF4 wont use the discrete graphic card i.e 755m but always defaults to intel hd 5000.

★★ Novice

I also have BF3 and it runs perfectly without a problem. I have used Nvidia control panel to force BF4 to use the discrete graphics but origin somehow always defaults it to the integrated graphics and I can see that when i monitor my GPU usage that the Discrete card is not being used. I have seen people getting 30-40 fps on med high settings at 1080p .....  I know lack of horsepower is not the problem. Any solutions on how I can force BF4 to open using the DEdicated GPU? Please .. help my origin game time is running out.... Deciding whether to buy or not based on this demo.....

PC specs
Lenoco y410p

i7-4700mq

8gb ram 1600mhz dual channel (4*4)

Geforce gt 755m 2gb 

Message 1 of 10 (2,851 Views)

Re: BF4 wont use the discrete graphic card i.e 755m but always defaults to intel hd 5000.

Community Manager

Did you click apply after making changes in the nvidia control panel?

1. Open the nvidia control panel
  2. Manage 3D settings, Program settings tab
  3. Click add to choose the program to customize
  4. Click browse and choose: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\bf4.exe
  5. Set your graphics preferences and click apply.
barry.png
Message 2 of 10 (2,842 Views)

Re: BF4 wont use the discrete graphic card i.e 755m but always defaults to intel hd 5000.

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_Barry wrote:

Did you click apply after making changes in the nvidia control panel?

1. Open the nvidia control panel
  2. Manage 3D settings, Program settings tab
  3. Click add to choose the program to customize
  4. Click browse and choose: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\bf4.exe
  5. Set your graphics preferences and click apply.

It still doesnt work. I tried that yesterday. I also tried using my default drivers then updating to the newest drivers. Please can someone help me? I think the problem is due to the fact that the game when launched launches a browser and then origin starts the game and the graphic settings for the origin cannot be changed. Please help.....

Message 3 of 10 (2,832 Views)

Champion

go into bios and disable the onboard graphics........

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 10 (2,828 Views)

★★ Novice

@StarscreamUK wrote:

go into bios and disable the onboard graphics........

There is no option as such to disable the igpu. I could however see an option whether to selec discrete gpu or use the intel gpu only and disable the main graphics totally..... i have the discrete gpu option selected. Please help Frown I have always been the unlucky one. These things always happens to me :/

Message 5 of 10 (2,822 Views)

Champion

i've looked around for an answer and although there are many people with the same problem (different games) none have any other answer other than set it in the nvidia control panel.

however

this *may* work,

go into device manager

select the intel hd gpu

select disable

reboot

if that doesn't work, reply back and i'll keep looking anyway

Message 6 of 10 (2,813 Views)

Champion

just found out why you cant disable the onboard gpu in bios, its because the bios is locked by lenovo (nice of them)

it is possible to unlock it

but requires a modified bios

this link will tell you more

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbi...

Message 7 of 10 (2,812 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

nVIDIA stopped producing complete GPU cores for laptops with Intel CPUs.  The Optimus is only the "back half" of what a desktop Geforce GPU core contains.  The Intel IGP cannot be disabled, because without a front end, the Optrimus relies on the Intel chip to do everything.  If I was gifted a laptop with an Optimus, I'd swap it for another machine to avoid the nvVIDA cripple. 

Message 8 of 10 (2,809 Views)

Re: BF4 wont use the discrete graphic card i.e 755m but always defaults to intel

★★ Novice

I thank you for trying to help me but it took me a lot of time to be able to purchase that laptop. BF4 is the only game that does not work so I do not think the laptop is at fault here. BF3 works perfectly at 900 p on high/ ultra on multiplayer. I would have tried all the other suggestions, that going to device manager and disabling integrated gpu might work. But the sad thing is I am out of game time. I however did discover a soluttion though and it worked.

For the solution to work,

I had to go in origin and run the default bf4 in 64bit version. Then oh well I would get 4-5 fps and with all that pain I would change the graphic settings to a more suitable thing for my laptop about med/high. Then i quit the game and made origin open the 32 bit version of the game and for some reason that worked. I played it for a few days like that but then it started crashing to desktop again. So i do not feel very confident buying the game just to find out it does not work. 20 dollars is a lot of money where I live.

Would it be possible somehow to get an etension on my game time? a couple of days just to check things would be good. If things work out I assure you I will purchase the game.

Message 9 of 10 (2,767 Views)

Re: BF4 wont use the discrete graphic card i.e 755m but always defaults to intel

★★ Novice

That could work but I am out of game time. I do not want to purchase the game only to find out it does not work. Frown

Message 10 of 10 (2,766 Views)