BF4.exe keeps crashing after a period of gameplay

by Mithanlas

Original Post

Accepted Solution

BF4.exe keeps crashing after a period of gameplay

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi guys 

I bought BF4 a couple of days ago and have had issues with crashing in multiplayer ever since. I can play for a maximum of 30 minutes and then I'm hit with "bf4.exe has stopped working". Things I've tried to fix this:

-Uninstalled Nvidia HD audio drivers

-Ran the sfc /scannow command, it finds some corrupted files but is unable to fix them

-Reinstalled BF4 from an ssd to an hdd (all drives in AHCI mode from BIOS)

-Done a clean install of newest Nvidia display drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller

-Repaired the installation through Origin countless times

-Deleted the BF4 config folder to reset the in-game settings

Early on I had a couple of blue screens and very intense stuttering too, and since the stuttering occurred in Dragon Age Inquisition as well, I figured it must be a Frostbite related issue. I fixed the BSODs/stutter by increasing the page file size and only the constant crashing remains. Anybody got a clue how to get this game working? 

My DxDiag: http://www.filedropper.com/dxdiag_2

Message 1 of 4 (344 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: BF4.exe keeps crashing after a period of gameplay

★★ Novice

Thanks for your tips. After some further troubleshooting the solution turned out to be creating a user.cfg file with the command gametime.maxvariablefps 61. Why I would need to limit my fps to my monitor's refresh rate to solve a crashing issue is beyond me, but hey, it works. The game is 100% stable now.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (300 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

You have done most of the steps I would give someone for this issue but for settings please do this as well as try the clean boot to rule out a program or app on the PC doing this... What windows are you on as I can give you a command line to help fix windows if you are on Windows 8 or 8.1. I could not get your DxDiag to open this is why I ask :womanhappy:

Run the game as Administrator:
Go to the Origin games folder (C:\Program Files (x64)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4) and find Bf4.exe. Right click it and go to PROPERTIES, then COMPATIBILITY and check the box next to RUN THIS PROGRAM AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Do the same with BF4_x86.exe as well.

Run Origin as Administrator:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin and right click on Origin.exe and go to properties. Then go to compatibility tab and check the box next to RUN AS ADMIN.

Disable Origin in game:
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

Origin Cloud Storage turn it off
Origin, settings, General

Make Sure BF4 is set to 64bit if your windows is 64bit
1- open origin and go to My Games
2-Right click BF4 and go to Game Properties
3-Under when launching this game set it to x64 and check off disable origin in game.
4- Hit apply REBOOT your PC and then test your BF4

Reboot PC test BF4

Another thing that may be worth trying: run a Clean Boot: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/
This should ensure that no programs are interfering in the background.

Below are programs known to make issues in BF4

Disable Mantle if you have it and try Direct X, Turn OFF Anti-Aliasing Deferred in video card settings in game. If you have page file turned off then turn it back on as this can make errors even with 32gigs ram.

Others have said if they uninstall MSI Afterburner issues / crashing is stopped. So if you have this installed remove program and test BF4. Also look at other programs as Asus Game First Service, Razer synapse, Razer Cortex, Qualcomm Killer Service , Fraps, EVGA Precision, Geforce experience, be sure to turn off the streaming function that is enabled by default ,Raptr, RivaTuner , ASRock eXtreme Tuner, Steam, Skype, aero ,Overwolf extra program in teamspeak and xfire are known to make issues as well. And I am sure more programs not in my list yet turn one off at a time and test BF4.

Uninstall the HD Audio Driver from the video card driver install add/remove programs. This silly thing makes issues in BF4 for some. Reboot then repair BF4 to be safe.

Message 2 of 4 (327 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for your tips. After some further troubleshooting the solution turned out to be creating a user.cfg file with the command gametime.maxvariablefps 61. Why I would need to limit my fps to my monitor's refresh rate to solve a crashing issue is beyond me, but hey, it works. The game is 100% stable now.

Message 3 of 4 (301 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Your very welcome, strange fix for sure but as long as it is fixed is the main thing. And thank you for keeping me posted and for the XP. Enjoy BF4 :womanhappy:

Message 4 of 4 (290 Views)