BF4 PC - Stuttering/Brief Freeze - Request for Information

by JdeFalconr

Original Post

Re: BF4 PC - Stuttering/Brief Freeze - Request for Information

★★★ Newbie

I've been getting video stuttering problems since BF3 due to an update they released which made the game unplayable half way through my VIP pass. Therefore, BF4 can suck it when asking for a VIP pass this time as the same stuttering is happening. This is with new high powered cards, upgraded motherboard and new HDD. Performance in the beta was bad and to be expected but it has continued well and past the time. With my PC I should be able to play BF4 maxed on high FPS but it can't even play on medium without FPS drops and video stutter. Dice fix this, this is unacceptable, just because you have consumers money doesn’t give you the right to release a poor quality product.

Comp Specs:

AMD 6 Core Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz

Republic of Gaming A-Z Motherboard

Corsair 8Gb RAM DDR3

Samsung Evo 8 @ 512Mb/s

2 x Gigabyte 7970 Lightning Edition factory overclocked 1100Mhz

Message 141 of 177 (2,604 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I've posted the same thing in the Battlelog Forum as well. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064773308952974/

I am not sure if these have been reported or the devs are aware of the bugs. All of these started happening couple of days ago. I am on PS4 with latest SW updates for both BF4 and PS.

Just got off the chat with EA Game Advisor and he asked that I post here to let everyone know, especially devs about these possible new bugs. Were there any tweaks within last couple of days?

All Weapon Medals are not tracking properly or stopped tracking - For example: My Melee kills count show 19, but according to medal progress, it shows 0/50 (1 ribbon for 4 kills), Headshots Medal shows 46/50 (1 ribbon for 3 headshots, and I have 290).

Lots of sound dropping and stuttering – Happened on all Multiplayer maps, sound (Gun shots, Commander’s voice, squad orders, etc…) dropped off very frequently, and picture stutter a lot. Prior to last few days, it was not that pronounced as it happened once in a blue moon.

Rubberbanding is becoming more pronounced - Happened several times in Operation Locker while I was running away from someone who was shooting at me. Usually, my position on the map set me back about 3 seconds worth of running or dodging the spray of bullets. Another word, I am trying to run or hide, but put me right in front of the crosshairs as I was 3 seconds ago, then I kaput. Usually happened at Objective E (basement ally from E to D) and by Objective B (from the outside going into Objective B), and Objective C (Going from outside to Objective C through small narrow door way).

Loading screen – Stuck on loading screen from 30 seconds to 3 minutes while playing on “DICE “TEST” Operation Locker only”. By the way, this is a great idea as I love playing Operation Locker and I did not have to look for another Operation Locker when the server is specifically set up to play only “Operation Locker”. You should definitely have several servers for each map.

Missing weapons while spawning – Again, this started happening more and more within last couple of days. Prior to this, I may spawn without weapons 1/20 times but now, it is happening 1/3 times. Sometimes I chose to spawn in the HOT ZONE and had to wait about 5 to 10 sec before any weapons showing up. I tried cycling from Primary Weapon to Secondary Weapon to Option 1 Gadget to Option 2 Gadget but no weapons or gadget would show up, shoot, or deploy. 

Server search function reset to default – Happened 3 times where my entire preset server searches (for Conquest, Operation Locker) were reset to default and all servers were showing up. This started happening yesterday.

Kicked out to another map while re spawning in Operation Locker – When I tried to re spawn in the Operation Locker (Used search feature to look for Conquest, Operation Locker), the server kicked me out to another map, Siege of Shanghai. Again, I was trying to re spawn with many tickets (over 300 tickets each team left). Not joining the server for the first time.

This is something I have never seen before and wish I took a screen shot – Yellow Triangle Exclamation Mark with no message in a blue box. I received this while joining another Conquest, Operation Locker server but I was able to join the server few minutes later. It showed up may be 3 times while loading(?) then let me join the server.

If this message helped you or direct you to the right direction, just click the XP box at the bottom right of the message.

XP = Thanks for helping, trying to help, or what a funny guy.
Accept as solution = This solved my problem!

Message 142 of 177 (2,604 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Crazy FPS Stutters and FPS Drops here too !!

My Specs -
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.2 GHz w/ H100i Cooler
2x GTX 660 w/ SLi Mode Enabled
Sandisk 120 GB SSD

16GB Corsair Vengence

Using Driver Version 332.21 from nVidia

Message 143 of 177 (2,605 Views)

★ Novice

I get this issue, FPS sits at around 50 when I'm not doing anything, I touch the mouse and it drops to 20-10 and sometimes down to 3-0

Message 144 of 177 (2,204 Views)

★ Novice

When i play in low seetings i get around 20-30fps. In high gettting around 10-20 fps. I did not expect to be this laggy..

CPU Intel® Core™ i7 processor 4700MQ (2.4GHz) 
Windows 8.1 
17.3" HD+ CSV Widescreen with LED Backlit Display 
16GB RAM 
1 TB storage with 5400 rpm 
Graphics nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB With Optimus + Intel® HD Graphics 4600

GeForce 335.23 Driver
Version: 335.23  WHQL
Release Date: 10.3.2014

I have tried the settings on Ndivia Control panel and put my display as max. Tried the BIOS but could not find GPS hyper threading (not on the list). 

Message 145 of 177 (1,946 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Still have SLI performance problems here too.  SLI performance for me is mostly good, but on some maps my FPS drops down into the low 50s and really puts a damper on the smooth gameplay.  The worst offenders that I've noticed are Lancang Dam and Hainan Resort, though I haven't tried the latest expansions b/c I won't buy Premium until they fix SLI and lower the price.  I've found that disabling Adaptive VSYNC almost solves the problem, and luckily I haven't noticed much tearing with VSYNC off.

The recent patch for "multi-GPU" issues appears aimed only at AMD, which stinks.

My rig:

i7-3770 @ stock (3.4 GHz)

16GB RAM

2 SSDs in raid 0

Win7 64-bit

2 680's in SLI

60Hz 1920x1080 monitor

BF4 video options set to Ultra, but anti-aliasing Deferred is turned off b/c I use FXAA

My global NVIDIA settings are defaulted, except for the following:

Ambient Occlusion set to Performance

FXAA is on

Multi-Display = single display performance mode

Vertical Sync is set to Adaptive

These settings give me great immersion and usually great performance, except for in BF4.  If I turn off SLI and set the video options to HIGH, I actually get better performance, even with VSYNC set back to Adaptive.

I've tried everything under the sun since launch to fix this, and frankly nothing works.  I've done lots of C++ multi-threaded programming, and from all of the evidence I've seen, ranging from people's comments to run-time analysis I've done, I believe it's simply a bug in the multi-GPU threads.  I would guess that they're not running efficiently (i.e., they're not coordinating well with each other) when SLI is enabled.

Over 5 months the game has been out, and SLI is still handicapping BF4.  I really hope they finish their next game before they release it...

BeWary

Message 146 of 177 (1,794 Views)

★ Apprentice

@GeCore_Freaky wrote:

Same problem here:

Windows 7 64-bit

GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Intel i5 760

4 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

If anyone has the same CPU, please tell me about your performance (no matter if good or bad): http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Intel-i5-760-not-enough-for-Battlefield-4-FPS-drops/m-p/17925...

I managed to eliminate my problem by extending my RAM to 8 GB. While the official site says something different (http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/pc), 4 GB of RAM are NOT enough, no matter which settings you use.

Message 147 of 177 (1,546 Views)

★ Novice

i found this and it worked for me!!! 

1. Disable Page File 
- Go to System 
- Go to Advance System Settings 
- In Performance section click on Settings and click Advanced tab. 
- In Virtual memory section click on Change... button 
- Select each disk enabled with Paging and set setting to No Paging file and hit Set button 
- Now all your listed disk should show Paging File Size as "None" 
- Press OK button to exist from the menu 
- We will reboot pc later once we change more settings, there is no need to restart the PC now. 

2. Disable Superfetch 
- Open run and type services.msc from run or win8 start screen (make sure applications on right menu is selected) or open services console by other means. 
- Find Superfetch service, right click it and go to properties 
- In General tab select startup type as disabled. 
- We will reboot pc later once we change more settings, there is no need to restart the PC now. 

3. Disable Prefetch 
- Open registry editor, type regedit (You need to have admin rights) 
- Navigate to following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\ 
- Right click and select Modify on "EnablePrefetcher" and set Value data: to "0" click ok 
- Right click and select Modify on "EnableSuperfetch" and set Value data: to "0" click ok 

4. Restart your PC.

Message 148 of 177 (801 Views)

★ Guide

hello,

On pc I also have stuttering sound on bf4 multi and single: (Gun shots, Commander’s voice, squad order...etc).

(I7 4770k, asus z87, GTX 780Ti)

I tested all the drivers nvidia, with and without sound card, other motherboard, other cpu, other memory, other power supply, with windows 7 64 bits, with windows 8.1 64bits....  with and without ssd/HDD, all the my components tested.

I am frustrated.

Message 149 of 177 (781 Views)

★ Novice

I didn't get this problem during the beta, it started for me a few months ago, then disappeared, and is now back again. My problem has an extra issue, sometimes the lag will cause BF4 to stop connection to the internet and kick me out of the game.

AMD Phenom II x4 965

8gb 1600mhz dual channel mode

ASUS GTX 760

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

GeForce 340.52 Driver

Message 150 of 177 (776 Views)