BF4 PC Memory leaking? 94% Memory usage with 12GB

by wooties

Original Post

Re: BF4 PC Memory leaking? 94% Memory usage with 12GB

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

This bug was posted 12 days ago, we're coming up on two weeks now.

Has there been any acknowledgement from EA at all? Any hope in sight?

Message 311 of 807 (1,114 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have the same memory leak here.

After some rounds the games becomes unplayable and I need to restart my PC. Sometimes it happens very quickly.

I'm runing the game in two different PC's and it happens on both of them. 

Desktop:

CPU: Intel Q8300@3.0GHz 
MB: ASUS P5Q Deluxe 
MEM: 4GDDR2 Kingston 
GPU: AMD ATi 5770 1GDDR5 Vapor-X@960MHz&1350MHz 

Laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i5-450M
MEM: 8GDDR3 Kingston 
GPU: AMD ATi Mobility 5650

The only thing in common that I can find is the fact the two PC's are runing ATi graphic cards equal or older than the 6XXX ATi series

Message 312 of 807 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

After battling every single problem I've had with crashes and whatnot, this is the only thing that is bugging the crap outta me. I've tried for several days now to fix this but it just wont budge, this goddamn problem.

Same as you, I can play for 20-40 minutes, it varies. Then my FPS drops from ~65-70 to 0.5-1 and I have to quit using the taskmanager. When I get out of the game I see my memory usage peaking 98 percent and not decreasing, only way to decrease it is to restart my computer.

This occurs on both Windows 8.0 and 8.1, using the latest AMD Beta driver (13.11 BETA9.2 or something), or older drivers. (Tried both)

Specs:
Win 8.1 Pro 64Bit (32bit BF4 is not working either, haven't checked if it prolongs the time before the memoryleak spikes)
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
AMD Radeon HD6870 - No overclock done
8GB Ram

My task manager declares that 7.8gb of RAM is being used at the time when I quit BF4 after lagging like crazy, however I have no process being over 200mb of RAM usage, which I find weird.

Heres a screenshot showing my taskmanager after quiting BF4 just 10 minutes ago - Note my RAM usage (Minne)

http://i42.tinypic.com/os7r02.jpg

Message 313 of 807 (1,034 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem memory goes full after 1 or 2 games and SSD gets up to 100% use because of it which i guess is not very good for its lifetime.
Do something.

4G RAM
Intel I5 2500k

Windows 8 running on SSD
ATI radeon HD 6890

Message 314 of 807 (1,023 Views)

★★ Apprentice

kashinoda - really this has been an ongoing issue long before BF4 was released, but in the same vein as it was an issue with BF3.

This all began to happen in BF3 for me after I installed Windows 8.1 Consumer Preview (sometime in July).  So start the clock in July and we're about 5 months out now.  I now have a new install of Windows 8.1 (full fledged RC, have been running it since it was made available mid-Oct) and the bug continues, not only in BF3 but also in BF4 now.  I'm not sure who's to blame here, EA/Dice, AMD or Microsoft.  I've not had any issues with other games, so I'm leaning towards this being an EA/Dice problem.

What's amazing to me is EA doesn't appear to have a system setup for submitting official bug reports.  Maybe I've overlooked/missed something, but Google searches only produce this forum as a place to submit my claims.  THIS IS REALLY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.  How is bitching amongst one another in forums about this issue going to resolve it?  This really really gets to me.

I'm afraid this has cast a long shadow over EA games for me.  I will forever be wary of any title they release in the future.  They will not see any more of my $ until they can prove they have the ability to support their games and provide acceptable customer service.

Message 315 of 807 (1,014 Views)

★ Apprentice

The only way to play til the fix comes is to exit from server everytime the round ends and then rejoin.

I know it's not the right way but....

Message 316 of 807 (978 Views)

★★★ Novice

Just tested alt-tabbing, does not fix the leak at all, though it does prolong my game time from 3 to 5 games lol.

Seems like the only solution right now is to quit and rejoin after every game until a fix is issued from either DICE or AMD.

Message 317 of 807 (928 Views)

★ Novice
Hello,

I had this problem too until I started the Game in 32 Bit Mode and disabled the Windows Page file.

Win 8.1 x64
HD6870
i5 2500k
8 GB DDR3

I think this is a AMD driver problem ... Running 13.11 Beta V8 Now ...
Message 318 of 807 (868 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Nothing new to report in terms of a solution, just wanted to add my .02 that I am also having this issue.

Win8

i7 @920

AMD 6970

12GB RAM

Message 319 of 807 (858 Views)

★★ Apprentice

re: i2of

BF4 runs in 32bit mode by default for me, and my page file is also disabled.  I'm running AMD Beta 13.11 too on Windows 8.1.  I'm still experiencing regular memory leak problems.  I really hope yours stays working for you, but I have a feeling the relief you're experiencing is only temporary.

Do we know if any Windows 7 users are experiencing this?  I'm tempted to just blow my Win8.1 install away and install Win7.

Message 320 of 807 (1,528 Views)