Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

BF4 DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by choobski

Original Post

Re: BF4 DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

★★★★ Novice

I did them all and none of them worked.

Message 61 of 125 (3,337 Views)

Re: BF4 DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

★★★★ Novice

I am lost on this whole matter because mine was working every since I got the game until yesterday and nothing really has changed. I reimaged my pc the other day, but it was still working fine until today.

Message 62 of 125 (3,332 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Still crashing. Often too. Latest was once again when brushing border of the map.

Message 63 of 125 (3,327 Views)

★★★★ Novice

DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed withDXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's devicefailed due tobadly formed commands sent by the application.
This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed "). GPU: "AMDRadeon R9 200 Series", Driver 13.11 (13.25.18-131129a-165578E-ATI)

Just to give feedback on my troubleshooting.

My system is a I5-4670, 16GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 240GB, Soundblaster Platinum, Asus R9 280, PSU is a BeQuiet! 750W.

This should be good enough for the Game!

I Tried so far:

-checked RAM for faults - no failure found

- reinstalled DirectX via Microsoft and via BF4 folder - BF still crashing

- tried all GPU Drivers available - BF still crashing

- installed all new drivers for all HW - BF4 still crashing

- Reinstalled WIN7 64BIt (formanted the SSD) - First day BF4 runs without crashes ...second day BF4 crashes constantly

- Checked all possible Information sources...even used the useless EA HotlineChat (they have absolutely no idea what they r doing) they requested to run BF4 via Chrome instead of Firefox - BF4 still crashing

- I will not underclock my GPU this is something absolutely ridiculous to do to get BF4 running!

- the only thing that is still the same is BF4...-> root cause is BF4!!!!!!

-EA get this fixed ...

Message 64 of 125 (3,301 Views)

★★★★ Novice
all these PC patches and threads all
Over the place for this stupid error but yet dice don't do a damn thing. Frustrated
Message 65 of 125 (3,294 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I tried everything that was said. I had reimage my pc before i started getting the error and went got my old files and still didn't fix it. I then took my video card out took a can of air to it and reseat it back in and mine started back working.

Message 66 of 125 (3,289 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Error deserves a lot more notice, especially considering it's been going on since BF3!

Message 67 of 125 (3,275 Views)

★★★★ Novice

DiretXFunction "GetDeviceRemoveReason" Failed with a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent bty the application. This is an Design-Time issue that should be investigated and fixed") GPU:"NVIDIA GTX 760", Driver:33182

I have seen this error 3 times in 15 minutes of attempted gameplay now. The good news is I can at least launch the game for a few minutes now before my system crashes and I get an error. Before I was just getting the black screen at launch. Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Sys spec

Asus Z87-A, Intel i5-4670k, MSI GTX 760, 16GB 1600 DDR, Windows 8.1 64 bit

Latest driver s and BIOS updates are applied as of last week.

Message 68 of 125 (3,273 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I fixed it!  I found these instructions for the sound loop error, but it worked for the direct x error.  I had this error every single time I played, but now was able to play all night.  I'm not sure exactly what this does, but at least I have it working for now.  Give it a try, and if it still doesn't work you can always just delete the user.cfg file.   

Create a user.cfg and place in BF4 directory and copy paste the text below. 

RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1RuntimeEnable 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0

My specs:

HP DV6 Quad Laptop

Core I7 2.3ghz

16gb ram

Windows 8.1

AMD Radeon 7690m XT video card

IDT onboard audio

Message 69 of 125 (3,233 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thx gauntlet0, I tried your solution for the directx-error and it works. Created user.cfg and placed it in the bf4-folder.

Message 70 of 125 (3,155 Views)

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

Check out the new EA Help!

We want to make finding the help you need better, faster, and easier.

So, we’ve had some work done at help.ea.com