Re: BF4 DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by NoTouchGoon

Original Post

BF4 DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

So the getDeviceRemovedReason DirectX error dates back to BF3 and it still happens in BF4.  I have tried every remedy the internet has claimed solves the problem and I still have not managed to get this error to stop happening.  Things I have tried include:

-Turning on/off ambient occlusion

-Updating to most current or beta gpu drivers

-reverting to older gpu drivers

-running in window mode

-over/underclocking my gpu

None of these have actually solved the problem.  Furthermore, the wording of the error message has changed.

"

The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent

by the application.  This is a design-time issue that should be

investigated and fixed.

"

And just for posterity, I run with Win7 64bit and a GTX 660 Ti.

Message 1 of 125 (14,276 Views)

Re: BF4 DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

★★ Novice

this is happening with me too, i run WIN8 64bit. i have had the exact same problem with medal of honor warfighter, and some other games. only difference is as you said the text that says ''that it should be investigated and fixed''.

i hope  the problem is gone in the full game, although i doubt it :/

Message 2 of 125 (14,097 Views)

★★ Novice

Bumping this because it is quite absurd this bug has persisted for so long.  I can't even finish a single round before the crash occurs.

Message 3 of 125 (14,037 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Just an FYI, I've been all over the internet throughout the day and read multiple forums on this issue. Even over on NVIDIAs pages. I was having the same issue, about 5-10 minutes of play, then black screen, then game froze with DirectX Error message (Device_Hung). What I found was that most people that were having the issue had an OC'd GPU. Mine was OC'd but through some software that I had installed, I didn't actually change any settings manually, just had it do it's thing. Well I was having issues with GW2 freezing up on when I would have some graphic intensive moments, just like BF4, but without the error message. Well I got to thinking I'm only running a GTX 650 and only have a 430W power supply. On one of the forums someone posted that it may be the power supply, which makes sense. Basically the GPU was pulling so much juice it was causing issues and causing freezes in game. Well I came home today and turned my OC software off, booted up BF4 and ran about an hour and a half with no issues, even running on high settings. I know people have said under clocking, or setting their GPUs back to factory didn't work for them but it worked for me, so far. I will update after I play this evening. I will however be purchasing a new GPU and Power Supply very soon. My friend runs a 700W with a GeForce 670 and hasn't had an error message. Perhaps the issue is with peoples power options. I'm not super tech savvy but it makes sense. Hope this helps anyone out there, if not sorry.  

UPDATE: Apparently didn't work, logged back in last night and same error. I did however revert my Drivers back to 331.40 Driver and played all last night and a bit this morning with no issues. Contacted NVIDIA with a solution to update my DirectX to determine if it's the driver, not sure how that is suppose to determine if it's the driver but I'm going to give it a go. Of course NVIDIA is saying its the game. I'm still skeptical, however I have read a few, and I say A FEW AMD users having this issue. More to follow.

Message 4 of 125 (13,388 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

RESOLUTION

Go to the BF4 folder in .\origin games\Battlefield 4\

Open .\_Installer\directx\redist

Right click on DXSETUP.exe and click "Run as Administrator"

complete the install, enjoy.

UPDATE

problem still occurrs.  I reboot, the game runs and then crashes at the start of a new level just before the playable part starts. So far, it's been about 45-50 minutes of gameplay at a time.  Could be time or value related.

Message 5 of 125 (13,124 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice
If you have windows 8.1 which is on non-english setting,
You must change system locale to English(us) because of the Directx bug DICE can't fix.
Message 6 of 125 (13,098 Views)

★★ Novice

What if your video card is factory overclocked, as is my 7970.  Seems a waste to underclock from what the factory told you was the base specification for the hardware.

My 7970 runs factory at 1100 / 1450.

Message 7 of 125 (13,076 Views)

★ Apprentice

So running that DXSetup made it worse. Now it crashes on launch.

Message 8 of 125 (13,067 Views)

[ Edited ]
Anonymous

That languange solution is for another DirectX error that specifies DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL.

In some cases (re)installing directx has helped as dragonthc mentioned.

Some people got through by clocking down their gpu.

@ co2noss

was there an error window or a log in event viewer?

Message 9 of 125 (13,063 Views)

★ Apprentice

I ended up downloading BF4 Settings Editor and turning off DX11.1 and adjusting my settings manually. Seems to be working now my game is actually launching and not crashing at launch now. We will see...

Message 10 of 125 (13,038 Views)