An Open letter to EA/DICE regarding BF4 console

by forkless

Original Post

An Open letter to EA/DICE regarding BF4 console

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Dear EA, 

For the sake of constructive feedback and ongoing improvement of your product I am writing you this open letter with a few observations and suggestions so that it may be forwarded to the DICE development team at your discretion. 

Currently I am in the second month of playing this game and on a regular basis I am experiencing extreme forms of lag. I think I have done pretty much everything under the sun that can be done to have an optimal connection. Obviously it could be that I have missed something that is causing my connection to be sub optimal. By all means feel free to make suggestions on how to improve my connectivity/gaming experience. 

My connectivity / Geographical location / The things I've done so far 

• Living roughly 600 miles from the European data center, yields me a 24ms connection with minimal jitter (0-1ms) 
  • The Fiber to the Home connection that is used to connect to the Internet has adequate bandwidth, 100Mbps down- and upstream 
  • Shielded twisted pair CAT-5e cabling is used in my network environment 
  • The console has QoS priority for any traffic in case of congestion 
  • There are no firewall restrictions in place, all required ports are available 
  • Recently the console has been fully re-initialized my console. Ran diagnostics on the built-in HDD on a PC, to rule out any IO issues and/or other drive problems. Re-installed Battlefield 4 after no such problems were detected 
  • The Battlelog game browser is used to find optimal latency servers 
  • No quick matching is used, so accidental region tourism is no longer possible 

Obviously it could be that I have missed something that is causing my connection to be sub optimal. By all means feel free to make suggestions on how to improve my connectivity/gaming experience. Obviously I nor you have have no control of the connectivity of every single of your customers however I have drafted a shortlist of suggestions that may alleviate some of the problems encountered without having to code your way out of real world connectivity issues. 

• The addition of latency restricting rental and/or public EA servers 
  • A warning message when people use the Quick Matching feature when they are being zoned outside their own region 
  • A warning message for WiFi users to inform them they may have varying results based on their choice of connectivity 
  • Allocating more resources to the public servers, they seem to be under a lot of duress at times (especially during double XP events) 

Personally I firmly believe the net code is doing a great job considering the latency deviation it has to deal with. However if it still doesn't give the desired results after implementing some restrictions it would be appreciated if you could focus again on 

• Increasing the tick rate of the game instead of heavily relying on advanced input prediction, lag compensation and simulation on the client side 
  • Fixing hit detection scripting, hit boxes do not seem to spawn simultaneously with models (Eg. Test range, while this could be a map scripting issue, it is food for thought being local and all) 

Kind regards, 
A concerned customer 

PS. Is the game designed to work on a global level without any latency restrictions? The (in)game browser seems to indicate this is indeed the case, since we can freely choose regions and the Quick Matching moves us across regions if need be. Anyway, if so (being in complete awe if your solution is supposed to mitigate the latency on a global scale), can you please confirm this.

Message 1 of 8 (343 Views)

Re: An Open letter to EA/DICE regarding BF4 console

★★★★★ Novice

So a possible short term fix would be to lose the comaander app, test and check?  Any smartphone, pc, and such can play........

Would this be possible?

Message 2 of 8 (334 Views)

★★ Novice

Let's see how many EA employees pass this on

Message 3 of 8 (331 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think it's a good observation! WiFi / 3G / 4G / Edge and what not aren't always the most latency stable carriers. The bulk of my post however consists of why this game is so liberal with the latency deviation.

PS. I'm sure I can think of a few more things that will fine tune my connection even more but in reality at this point it's just academic.

Message 4 of 8 (323 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

why would you need 70 megs plus to play this game?

forget gold, copper

Message 5 of 8 (319 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

This is a great post and hopefully it reaches the right people. Its very disappointing that now in 2014 on a "Next Gen" console that these problems exist. Its even more disappointing that they have been around for this long and remain unfixed.  

Message 6 of 8 (296 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Bump! I want to hear something on this. These things that the OP discussed are rampant, and ruining the gameplay for many of us!
Message 7 of 8 (273 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Scott wrote:

why would you need 70 megs plus to play this game?

forget gold, copper

You don't. Actually you just need a few Kbps upload to send your sync packets. Anybody with broadband should be able to play this game as long as the latency is acceptable. The point why I added my throughput was merely to show that I meet standards by a mile and then some Wink

Message 8 of 8 (259 Views)