Re: 100% disk usage

by Carbonic

Original Post

100% disk usage

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

As of the last few days, I've noticed BF4 takes a little longer to load and it stutters like mad. I went to the task manager and was shocked to see disk usage at 100%. Up until this point, I was able to run the game on high and even ultra. I don't know what could be causing this. I've consulted a good amount of related posts but haven't found an adequate solution. Is there some kind of fix I can apply until the next patch?

Message 1 of 7 (15,553 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ive noticed this too with my game,

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Game-suddenly-choppy-and-unplayable/m-p/4231992#U4231992

^ in addition to all of that disk usage 100% and happened very recently. Played very smooth every time before this.

I'll link your post on mine too.

Message 2 of 7 (15,526 Views)

Hero

Is it because of a memory leak like mentioned here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Possible-solutions-INFO-REQUEST-NP-Pool-Memoryleak-PC-only/m-... ?

When the memory is filled the game could continue to read new data from the disk causing bad performance and 100% disk usage.

carbonic signature

Message 3 of 7 (15,520 Views)

Champion (Retired)

As said this is MOST likely Global problem known as NP Pool Memory Link do you have any similarities with this? 

Symptoms:

• Non paged pool (NPP) memory gets filled up with garbage. Normally it's only filled up with around 200-300mb of data but after the memory leak happens it takes of the remainding memory causing BF4 and the system to grind to a hault. Due to the nature of NPP this garbage cannot be removed from occupying space in the memory until you reboot the system.
  • BF4.exe is not using more memory than normal, not the private working set or the paged pool
  • Example: Ive got 8GB of memory, during play 250MB of NPP memory is used, then the memory leak happens and suddenly 5.2GB of my memory is lost and being used for nothing due to this bug.

When does it happen:

• The memory leak happens after mapchange, but otherwise somewhat random. The main trend is that mapchange causes the memoryleak and it then takes some time to fill up the memory depending on the speed and amount of memory.

Systems affected:

• Win 8 (mostly 8.1)
  • Radeon HD 5xxx, HD6xxx, HD7xxx and R series
  • Very few Nvidia has said it affected them as well but is deemed unlikely as none would provide a screenshot showing it's the non paged pool

---------------------------------------------

Thank-you

Killerwhal812

Operative

Please give me XP if I helped

Please mark as soloution if I solved the problem

I DO NOT WORK FOR EA | DO NOT SHARE EA ACCOUNT INFO ON THE FORUM 

MY VIEWS ARE MY SOLE OPINION AND NOT EAs

Message 4 of 7 (15,511 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, these are basically all the things that I'm seeing. I looked around online and saw that disabling Search and Superfetch helped for a few rounds, and it was running smoother than ever, but it just started lagging up again big time with extremely high disk usage. Do we have to wait for the next patch for the fix, most likely?

Message 5 of 7 (15,502 Views)

Hero

If it's the non paged pool memory leak you are having then it's been there since release. It seems to pop up and then go away again randomly and it's mostly ignored by DICE so there's no estimated fix date. You should look through the link I posted above.

carbonic signature

Message 6 of 7 (15,497 Views)

★ Novice

I found a working solution for me. I was having this issue every day and then I switched from 64bit to 32bit via origin BF4 game properties.  Right click BF4 in Origin "My Games" menu and select game properties. Then I checked to disable origin in game for BF4 and set the BF4 default client to x86 (32bit). Since doing so I have had none of the extreme frame drop and disk usage.  I'm thinking its something to do with how much memory is allocated for BF4. Only thing I've noticed is sometimes debris doesn't show up at great distances. 

Message 7 of 7 (15,354 Views)