SOLVED - Can't launch BF3 after Windows 8.1 Update

by Nyamah2

Original Post

SOLVED - Can't launch BF3 after Windows 8.1 Update

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

After installing the Windows 8.1 update yesterday, I can't play BF3. I get the following error:

Can't find the accesspoint of the procedure CreateDXGIFatory2 in DLL-file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll. I've tried to repair the installation through origin but it hasn't solved my problem.

Message 1 of 15 (27,782 Views)

Re: Can't launch BF3 after Windows 8.1 Update

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

[removed by Carbonic for potentially ruining people's Win8 installation]

Message 2 of 15 (27,264 Views)

★★ Novice

I can't remove the file as I need permission from TrustedInstaller

Message 3 of 15 (27,259 Views)

★★ Novice

I had issues as well so I uninstalled Origin and reinstalled and it seems to have fixed the issues I was having.  I also had to manually update Punkbuster as some file eneded up dissapearing. Good luck!!Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 4 of 15 (27,192 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same error here. Was playing fine until the 8.1 update.

Have reinstalled Origin. Reinstalled BF3. Updated Punkbuster. Current Nvidia Beta driver 331.40.

Message 5 of 15 (27,180 Views)

★★ Novice

I found a solution for the problem. It's a problem wit FXAA injector that is incompatible with Windows 8.1. If you have FXAA injector delete the files from the BF3 folder and your game should launch again

Message 6 of 15 (27,157 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I don't think  I have an fxaa injector, mine is just a Vanilla installation from Origin.

Message 7 of 15 (27,043 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@utilsed wrote:

I don't think  I have an fxaa injector, mine is just a Vanilla installation from Origin.

Are you using English versoin of Windows 8.1?

If not, try 

Control panel -> Time, Launguage and Region -> Region -> Administrative tab

Change Language for non-Unicode programs To English(US)

Message 8 of 15 (26,802 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I tried all the other ideas with no help, but found this one that fixed the problem & it's simple. cant find it now to credit the guy that wrote it.

Since Windows 8.1 Preview is only a day old, I don't know how widespread this issue is, but I'll try to explain in the greatest possible detail:

Upon attempting to join a server in Battlefield 3 after updating to the 8.1 preview, I ran into an issue when I would be kicked by Punkbuster a few seconds after loading the map. Punkbuster cited a communication error with one of its files as the reason, however, allowing the file through my firewall did nothing.

However there is a solution:

1. Navigate to your Battlefield 3 directory, by default, this is located in C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Battlefield 3.

2. Click on the folder titled "_Installer"

3. Click on the folder labled "punkbuster"

4. Click on the "redist"

5. Click on and run "pbsvc"

The issue should be fixed. It solved the problem for me and a friend having the same exact problem.

Message 9 of 15 (26,227 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@1sawman1 wrote:

I tried all the other ideas with no help, but found this one that fixed the problem & it's simple. cant find it now to credit the guy that wrote it.

Since Windows 8.1 Preview is only a day old, I don't know how widespread this issue is, but I'll try to explain in the greatest possible detail:

Upon attempting to join a server in Battlefield 3 after updating to the 8.1 preview, I ran into an issue when I would be kicked by Punkbuster a few seconds after loading the map. Punkbuster cited a communication error with one of its files as the reason, however, allowing the file through my firewall did nothing.

However there is a solution:

1. Navigate to your Battlefield 3 directory, by default, this is located in C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Battlefield 3.

2. Click on the folder titled "_Installer"

3. Click on the folder labled "punkbuster"

4. Click on the "redist"

5. Click on and run "pbsvc"

The issue should be fixed. It solved the problem for me and a friend having the same exact problem.

It's not related to this issue though...

Message 10 of 15 (26,171 Views)