MESSAGE "OPERATING SYSTEM UNSUPPORTED You need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to play Battlefield 3 TM"

by daddeefix

Original Post

Accepted Solution

MESSAGE "OPERATING SYSTEM UNSUPPORTED You need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to play Battlefield 3 TM"

★★★ Newbie

Last time I played was 2 weeks ago. When I came in a couple of nights ago, the ORIGIN restarted and said it was changing to an alternate company. After an attempted upgrade, I can now not play the game, with the above message. "OPERATING SYSTEM UNSUPPORTED You need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to play Battlefield 3 TM"

I am running Windows 7 SP1 with the desktop icon confirming this as compatible. Please help!!

Message 1 of 8 (13,267 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: MESSAGE "OPERATING SYSTEM UNSUPPORTED You need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to play Battlefield 3 TM"

★★★ Apprentice

@daddeefix wrote:

Last time I played was 2 weeks ago. When I came in a couple of nights ago, the ORIGIN restarted and said it was changing to an alternate company. After an attempted upgrade, I can now not play the game, with the above message. "OPERATING SYSTEM UNSUPPORTED You need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to play Battlefield 3 TM"

I am running Windows 7 SP1 with the desktop icon confirming this as compatible. Please help!!

I had this exact same problem after an origin update.  To resolve, I completely uninstalled origin through the add/remove program section of windows and then reinstalled origin.  Some files are left behind after the "upgrade" and then the program believes you are running an older version of windows.  It has been more of a game to get it to run than actually playing the game itself.  Good luck!

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (13,447 Views)

All Replies

Re: MESSAGE "OPERATING SYSTEM UNSUPPORTED You need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows to play Battlefield 3 TM"

★★★ Apprentice

@daddeefix wrote:

I had this exact same problem after an origin update.  To resolve, I completely uninstalled origin through the add/remove program section of windows and then reinstalled origin.  Some files are left behind after the "upgrade" and then the program believes you are running an older version of windows.  It has been more of a game to get it to run than actually playing the game itself.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 8 (13,448 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for your help but rather than uninstall it, I double checked BOTH BF3 and ORIGIN shortcuts on my desktop. Apparently the upgrade changed the ORIGIN preferences to Windows XP. I simply reallocated it back to the correct W7 and she works like a dreadm. Regards.

Message 3 of 8 (13,181 Views)

★ Novice

I'm sorry, but can you please explain to a noob how exactly to do that? Thanks!

Message 4 of 8 (11,430 Views)

★★★ Newbie

right click the shortcut on the desktop,hit properties, then compatibility

Message 5 of 8 (10,776 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i did that and it still hasen't changed 

any ideas ??

Message 6 of 8 (9,949 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you install the latest updates, even the Optional ones? If not do so.

Message 7 of 8 (7,327 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

press right click origin shortcut and select properties and then select compatibility and select compatibility mode to windows 7

Message 8 of 8 (7,320 Views)