Re: Game disconnected: your connection to the server timed out.

by MythXII

Original Post

Game disconnected: your connection to the server timed out.

★★★ Newbie

HELP please!

I have been trying to resolve this but with no luck. So far I tried:

- Disable UPnP on rooter

- Stop UPnP service on PC

- Stop SSDP discovery service on PC

- Manual update of PB

- Turn off network discovery

- Turn off printer sharing

Message 1 of 40 (28,850 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts customer service.

I have reviewed your case as well as your account and I would like to ask you a question. You seem to have a russian version of BF3, can I ask, did you by any chance change the registries to change the language from russian to any other one (like english for example)? Since if a customer applies the registry fix that some websites advertise then the game won't work after an update. I regret to inform you that if you had changes such as these to your registries I can only advise you to uninstall the game, use Ccleaner from www.piriform.com to clean the registries and then install it again and play it in the language of your version.

Now, if you have not changed any registries and play the game in russian as you understand the language, then there might be a different problem. I have reviewed all the steps that you have done, it was indeed quite a few, and have provided you with a few more steps, this time in one mail for your convenience. Please try the following steps:

A. First please try to power cycle your router:
1. First turn off you router and unplug it for around 5 minutes
2. Then plug it back in, switch it on again and wait for a minute or two to get connection to the internet again

B. Try turning off you Firewall in Start / Settings / Control Panel / Network connections / right click Local area network and select Properties / Advanced / Settings and select Off
Or simply write Firewall in Win7 into the searchfield in Start
if this solves the problem, turn Firewall back on and add the game as well all programs which the game uses into the exception list

C. Please try switching off applications in the background which can influence the game, such as an antivirus. The best way is to run a Clean boot:
1. Press and hold the Windows key and R, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2. The System Configuration dialog box is displayed.
3. In the System Configuration Utility box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup. 4. Uncheck the “Load startup items.”
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

D. Also very important is to try to power cycle your router, meaning - turn it off, unplug it for 10 minutes and then start it back up.
If you are connected via WiFi, try connecting via cable

E. Try the FLUSHDNS command:
1. Click Start, into the search bar write ”cmd” and run the found application by right clicking and selecting run as administrator
2. Write ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter
3. Write ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter
4. Write ipconfig /release and press Enter
5. Write ipconfig /renew and press Enter
6. Write netsh winsoc reset and press Enter
7. Restart your computer

F. Try deleting the HOSTS files in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and restart your computer afterwards

G. Turn Off UAC (User account control) in Start / Control panel / User accounts / Change settings and select the lowest option

H. Keep all connection programs such as Hamachi or anonymizers turned off

For the following steps refer to your router manual, it should contain a way how to obtain access to the router (usually by writing 192.168.1.1 to your adress bar and giving in your name and password)
I. Try setting your router into DMZ (all ports open), if your router does not have DMZ functionality try opening these ports:
TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

J. Try turning off UPNP functionality in your router setting (or turning it on if it is disabled) and IP flood detection as well as IP filtering.

K. Check if your router has a separate Firewall and turn off this one as well

L. Lastly if the connection problems persist contact your ISP and ask abou NAT settings and open ports, thee should be able to inform you whether or not your connection is somehow blocked

For further contact you don't need to create a new case through ea.com , simply reply to this mail.
We are sorry for any inconveniences caused.
If you have further questions please do contact us again.

Jakub
Customer Support
Electronic Arts

Message 2 of 40 (28,693 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Hi, First of all thanks for the quick reply. There is something I wanted to bring up before the resolution and it is regarding the language of the game. I live in the UK and purchased an English version of the game and did not change anything in the registry. Can you please help clarify the situation around this as I am a bit confused. Regarding the issue resolution please see below my response A: done, no change B: will try C: this seems rather excessive but will try D: done, no change E: done, no change F: done, no change G: I need to check the impact of this before I try this as this is a multi user PC H: not using any of these I: will try J: done, no change K: done, no change L: I doubt this is an issue as I have been playing online for years and even with BF3 it kicks me out randomly after a few minutes of play. I can reconnect but only for another 2-5 minute session. My usual experience is that when it comes to this point when EA and my ISP start pointing fingers at each other the fault is always on my or on EA's side so I dont think this will help (10 years of experience). Thanks
Message 3 of 40 (28,689 Views)

Hero (Retired)

well you can try those:

Problem 3:
Get disconnected very often without a reason.

Solution 1:
-Download PBsetup from here: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php [evenbalance.com]
-Extract the files in a folder
-Run PBSETUP.exe
-Click "add a game"
-Select "Battlefield 3". The path of the game should be detected automatically, if not, point it to the right path.
-Click check for updates
-Once the downloads are over, you'll get a message "battlefield 3 is up to date" or similiar. you may now close the application.

Solution 2
-Click on the windows logo/start button
-In the searchbar, type services.msc
-Press ENTER
-A list of services should now be in front of you.
-Click "extended" tab
-Search for "UPnP host devices" or something similiar (the description is something like: Allow hosting of UPnP devices blablabla)
-Right click it
-Click Properties
-I don't know how to translate this, but there is an option like "startup", in the general tab. You can choose between: Automatic (delayed startup), Automatic, Manually, Disabled. You must choose Disabled.
-Click on "stop service"
-Click "apply" and close that little windows.
-Search for "SSPD discovery" and do the same things that you did above.
-Close everything
-Reboot.

Solution 3
-Open chrome/IE/firefox
-Type in the adress bar 192.168.0.1 and press enter. if nothing work with that IP, try with one of these: 192.168.1.1, 127.0.0.1, 127.0.1.1. With one of these IPs you should be able to open up your router's page.
-Log into the router panel (username is usually "admin" or "administrator", aswell as the password)
-Once you are in, you should search for an option called UPnP, and disable it. it might be somewhere in the advanced options, i really can't help you with this one because it's not on my router, and every router it's different, so you might or might not have it.

In case you still have the problem...well...go to the nearest churc and turn on a candle, then prey for a bit.

Message 4 of 40 (28,681 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Once again thanks for your reply but I already tried these as per my first post. Could you please reply regarding my previous post?

Thanks

Message 5 of 40 (28,666 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

hey

sorry not answering lot of replies these days.........try check your router also your connection provider

also try to turn off Net Guard for origin in you firawll through antivirus, could be problems with servers

Message 6 of 40 (28,664 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey Man 

Look how many view your issue have and still no solution 

I'm one of the frustrated players with the same problem 

Do something usefull  this year 

Message 7 of 40 (26,626 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Same problem aswell tested all the so called fixes but non work game disconnect after 10-20min play nothing wrong at my side this is a problem with the game code / punkbuster and it did never happen before the december update

Message 8 of 40 (26,576 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same here have the same problem as the rest of the people in here only play about 10 to 20 min then it stops on me and have to reload it again. I have also tried all of the above to fix and nothing has worked.

Message 9 of 40 (25,802 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same Problem. It's totally frustrating Confusedmileysad:

Message 10 of 40 (25,787 Views)