Can no longer launch BF3

by bakkyboy

Original Post

Can no longer launch BF3

★★ Novice

Hi, tried all the posted remedies, have latest updates, cleared settings, repaired, tried launching from battlelog, meet all the specs; just can't get past "join server". Haven't tried reinstalling yet as I only have wireless broadband (which used to work fine by the way with a 35 ping) and the download would kill my data quota.

I think my problem started when I uninstalled BF3 on another computer of mine. Might have changed a setting in Origin perhaps???

Would really love to play BF3 again, as BF4 doesn't do much for me yet......

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5 (146 Views)

Re: Can no longer launch BF3

★★★★★ Apprentice

you could try to do a settings reset by deleting PROF_SAVE_profile in "your Documents"\Battlefield 3\settings. (make a backup first). When starting the game a new one will be created. Also try to update/reinstall punkbuster. http://help.ea.com/en/article/punkbuster-technical-issues/

Message 2 of 5 (141 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for your input; reset settings to no avail and updated punkbuster (mine wasn't current) but no progress on the problem.

One observation I have made is that PROF_SAVE_files (PROF_SAVE_profile, PROF_SAVE_header and PROF_SAVE_body) reside in my Netbook BF3 settings where I also have the game installed, however in my desktop the files are always missing. I tried copying these file from my netbook BF3 settings folder to my desktop folder whereby I was prompted to select from cloud data or local data at the next launch attempt, but neither option produced a result. At next examination the settings files were no longer present in my desktop. Is this normal?

I have checked most posts about this issue and tried many other solutions, however I haven't ruled out that simply reinstalling from scratch might resolve the problem. I have already tried reinstalling the game utilising the original data and update files which hold the bulk of data. However I am currently in a wired ADSL blackspot, so downloading 30+GB with wireless broadband (which is quite fast with good latency) just isn't viable when it would cost me >$200 and still may not solve it. 

Perhaps there is some hardware disparity, although it all used to work fine before I installed BF4. Current config:

i7 - 3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16.00 GB RAM
Win 7 64 -bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 driver version 9.18.13.3182 (331.82)

I suppose I could just forget about it and get on with BF4, but BF3 is a lot more satisfying in so many ways. 

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 5 (133 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi, did you try reinstalling Origin again?

Maybe its just some break in the link somewhere between game data and Origin knowing where that data is.

As for the redownoading the game issue:

Solution from Carbonic http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Not-able-to-play-Installed-games/m-p/2105671#M81939
1. Take a backup of the game, normally at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games not from documents
3. Start Origin on the intended installation computer and download BF3 for a couple of minutes
4. Close Origin
5. Copy over the backup, overwriting all files
6. Start Origin again, it will verify all the files and just adjust the registry and download the settings files. 

All this should happen fairly quickly without the need to eat very much of your broadband data quota.

Then hit REPAIR INSTALL to make sure everything is updated ok.

Message 4 of 5 (127 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks PS17, I have just reinstalled Origin, but no luck. Game launch tried to sync to cloud a couple of times, but failed to go to the loadsite. Also tried syncing to local. Have tried the Carbonic downloading solution a few times but no success. Thinking it's drivers somewhere so trying audio and video driver rollbacks.

Cheers for your input.

Message 5 of 5 (119 Views)