Battlefield 3: Can't change resolution

by mmodonnell

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 3: Can't change resolution

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I am trying to play on my laptop which has a 4k screen but when I load into a game the map picture is very small as well as the menu and hud. My resolution is set at 3840x2180 and the game runs horribly. So when i go to change my resolution, it won't let me change it, it seems to be locked in 4k. When I click the little arrows to change it, they move a bit so it clearly recognizes that I'm clicking them, there just seems to be no other option than 4k. Please help.

Message 1 of 11 (6,717 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefield 3: Can't change resolution

@mmodonnell wrote:

I have not tried that because I cannot for the life of me find the file. Everyone talks about the "config" file but nobody ever says where it is. Could you tell me?

For me the config file that I made to display FPS etc is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3

Your GTX 970M exceeds the recommended GPU for BF3 so are you 100% positive that the laptop is not using the integrated GPU instead of your 970M? On my Alienware 17 that I game on when I travel I had a similar issue and it turns out a driver update cleared my settings an it was trying to use the integrated GPU to play Skyrim instead of my R9 290x that I originally set up to use for games. Hitting the key to force swap GPUs to the performance GPU and doing a reboot solved the issue for me.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (6,622 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

Try lowering all settings to low then try to change the resolution.

Message 2 of 11 (6,671 Views)

[ Edited ]

@mmodonnell wrote:

I am trying to play on my laptop which has a 4k screen but when I load into a game the map picture is very small as well as the menu and hud. My resolution is set at 3840x2180 and the game runs horribly. So when i go to change my resolution, it won't let me change it, it seems to be locked in 4k. When I click the little arrows to change it, they move a bit so it clearly recognizes that I'm clicking them, there just seems to be no other option than 4k. Please help.

What are your PC specs and OS? Does your laptop have a performance gaming GPU in addition to the normal onboard GPU, and if it does have you set up your system to only use the performance GPU when playing BF3?

BF3 minimum system requirements

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3

• Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card, ATI Radeon 3870 or higher, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher.
  • Graphics card memory: 512 MB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

• Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
  • Graphics card memory: 1 GB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Message 3 of 11 (6,662 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Windows 10 64 bit

i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz with turbo boost up to 3.5GHz

NVIDIA GTX 950M 4gb dedicated

16gb DDR4

It says the nvidia processor is the default

My friend tells me i should run it flawlessly

Message 4 of 11 (6,647 Views)

★ Novice

Nope. However I just found out that if I turn off fullscreen and have it in a tiny little window in the corner it runs very smooth .

Message 5 of 11 (6,644 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @mmodonnell!

Have you tried changing the resolution directly from the settings file located on the Battlefield 3 folder on documents?

Se il post di qualcuno ti è stato d'aiuto, lascia un punto XP ➕
Se il post di qualcuno ha risolto il problema, ricordati di segnarlo come soluzione affinchè altri possano trarne aiuto. ✔

Message 6 of 11 (6,634 Views)

★ Novice

I have not tried that because I cannot for the life of me find the file. Everyone talks about the "config" file but nobody ever says where it is. Could you tell me?

Message 7 of 11 (6,631 Views)

@mmodonnell wrote:

For me the config file that I made to display FPS etc is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3

Your GTX 970M exceeds the recommended GPU for BF3 so are you 100% positive that the laptop is not using the integrated GPU instead of your 970M? On my Alienware 17 that I game on when I travel I had a similar issue and it turns out a driver update cleared my settings an it was trying to use the integrated GPU to play Skyrim instead of my R9 290x that I originally set up to use for games. Hitting the key to force swap GPUs to the performance GPU and doing a reboot solved the issue for me.

Message 8 of 11 (6,623 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mmodonnell wrote:

Hi @mmodonnell

I think you can find the Config file of game settings in: This PC>>Documents>>Battlefield 3>> Settings and there you will need to edit PROF_SAVE profile file (open it in World Pad). Then, you will need to find these lines: GstRender.ResolutionHeight 1080  and  GstRender.ResolutionWidth 1920. Just change your resolution there and don't forget  to Save.

Message 9 of 11 (6,614 Views)

★ Novice

I did that as i was in the game. When I clicked back into the game for about a tenth of a second it worked! The menu became fullscreen (as if accepting the 1920x1080), but then went right back to being small. The res is still 4k on the in game settings menu, and the file keeps changing its settings back to 3840x2160 :/

Message 10 of 11 (6,603 Views)