Re: Battlefield 2142 won't start

by arctic_jarhead

Original Post

Battlefield 2142 won't start

★ Newbie

Posted under 1942 as EA have forgotten they made this (excellent) game. I just can't run 2142 anymore. I've tried buying it again on Origin as it sounded like the disk wasn't running up to speed. Still no luck. I don't get the splash screen at all, just black screen, then "bf2142.exe has stopped working. The program will now close and windows will do sweet f.a. about it." I looked before and it wasn't detecting my system properties correctly. I'm using an Intel i7 920 with 6gigs of RAM, 2 gigs of graphics via a 560Ti card, and windows 7. All drivers are up to date. Help please?

Message 1 of 3 (3,995 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi. I realise I'm some years late with this answer, but I'm gonna try to give a solution in case others come across this and have the same problem (like myself).

For many people it has helped to do some or all of the following steps:

1. Run the program in compatibility mode for Win XP sp3.

2. Run the program as administrator.

To do step 1 and 2, right click on the shortcut/icon of the game and select "properties", then "compatibility".

3. Open   C:\Users\<Your Name>\Documents\Battlefield 2142\Profiles\Default\Video.con    by notepad.

you will see a line in the document that looks something like this

VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@60Hz

Change it so that it corresponds with the resolution and refresh rate of the screen you want to play on, then save the file and close it. To find your screen resolution and refresh rate, go check your display settings in the controll panel.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3 (3,466 Views)

★★ Novice

Another thing!

The early versions of BF2142 and BF2 don't support wide screen resolutions, so you should patch the game to 1.51 before editing the video profile (If you already did it, just do it again or check that it's still correct).

Message 3 of 3 (3,450 Views)