[INFORMATION] Origin version BF1942 won't launch

by EA_Bastian

Original Post

Re: Battlefield 1942 won't launch

★★★ Newbie

If you see a black loading screen then kicks you back to desktop then it might be a direct x problem. try installing directplay. that fixed my loading problems.

Message 201 of 210 (5,535 Views)

Re: [INFORMATION] Origin version BF1942 won't launch

★★★ Newbie

I have the same proiblem but the game used to run on my pc. After 3 months i decided to play again but it wont open ..

Message 202 of 210 (5,198 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi!

Today I installed the game, and my experience was pretty good. I played online and the campaign. My game is from Origin. I have Windows 10. All I did is: download the Gamespy patch from here (I have to thank @emile44) and installed it in the game folder.

And then I launched the game and the screen went black, I minimized the game, and a Windows message was there saying that I had to install DirectPlay or something like that. I clicked in okay, and the game launched!

Hope this solution helps.

Regards, Joserbala.

Message 203 of 210 (5,091 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How do you use directplay, cant figure it out

Message 204 of 210 (4,975 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi!

I think you can activate it doing this: Right click in "Start" icon (the one in the corner down-left) -> Click in "Programs And Features" -> Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left -> "Legacy Components" -> Activate "DirectPlay".

If it doesn't activate, turn off your antivirus and/or Skype.

Hope this help.

Regards, Joserbala.

Message 205 of 210 (4,963 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi there,

I bought battlefield 1942 from Amazon, and originally had the same error that everyone else had. I followed the CD install instructions onto my Windows 7 PC. Unfortunately, i continued to get the same error, the screen would dim, and then nothing would happen. I realized that when i installed the CD, battlefield wouldn't save locally onto my computer, and therefore couldn't try any of the suggestions on this thread. 

The first thing i did to correct this was to create a file on my desktop, and during the install store all my files into this folder. This did two things: 1. the files were now stored locally onto my machine. 2. I could now configure the game to allow Windows 7 to be compatible. Once i installed the game from the CD's and made sure to uncheck view the log, battlefield installed correctly and a shortcut to all three versions appeared onto my desktop. From there i right clicked on battlefield> selected properties>went to compatibility> checked the box "run this program in compatibility mode", selected the dropped down menu for Windows 7, and checked the box for "run this program as an administrator">clicked apply>clicked ok. Now when i selected the application i automatically had admin rights.

I then ran this patch http://team-simple.org/download/battlefield_1942_gamespy_patch_v1.61.exe found on another post in this thread. Since the patch saw that battlefield was stored locally onto my machine, it added the patch successfully. I have been playing battlefield 1942, Road to Rome,  and secret weapons from WWII for the past couple of days without any problem.

I hope this helps you.

Message 206 of 210 (4,219 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked for me on Windows 10.  Make Direct Play work.
Start / Programs & Features / Turn Windows Features on or Off / Check 'Legacy Features' / Check 'Direct Play'

Message 207 of 210 (2,610 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi Everyone

- after many years i wanted to play again this lovely game and was having issues to lauch as everybody here.

I tried all suggested an nothing helped unless i figured out one final thing:

- when you setup the compatibility mode on Program files (x86)/Origin Games/Battlefield1942/bf1942.exe file don't change it only as current user but click on bottom button = "Change settings for all users" and there click to run in compatibility mode

obviously unless you run as administrator (= almost never) it won't change really the compatibility mode

i hope this will helps many of you and finally close this topic!

Message 208 of 210 (1,441 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

actually on Windows 10 battlefield 1942 works fine without compatibility mode only thing you have to enable is administrator and have direct play installed.

if people are running into issues it's because they do not have the master server patch.

or they are running a very old version of Battlefield 1942 from CD-ROM which uses

securom DRM which is no longer available on Windows 10 so this again THEY need the master server patch which has included a no cd PATCH so the game is no longer relying on a CD to work.

if then people still have problems running the game it comes down to having third party programs enabled.

Or the monitor not supporting 800 by 600 as lowest resolution.

Finally it can also be a graphic card drivers being screwed up thanks to AMD.

I have been playing bf1942 for 20 years so I know everything.  

the irony is electronic arts is no longer allowing me to post unofficial patches and download links
I am forced to help people in a different way.  that's why I started streaming on Twitch.
so when I'm live on Twitch you can always ask me questions.

https://www.twitch.tv/emile44

Message 209 of 210 (1,405 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it being necroed.

If you have any issues with Battlefield 1942 please make a new topic about the issues you are having and what kind of steps you have tried to solve it.

/Atic
Message 210 of 210 (1,294 Views)