Battlefield 1942 for Windows 8?

by afork

Original Post

Battlefield 1942 for Windows 8?

★★★ Newbie

I just spent some time chatting with support trying to get BF1942 to run on Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit. Alas, they were unable to provide an answer after trying a few things. Will EA be working on a patch for Windows 8.1 users? BF1942 was my favourite game growing up and I saw that it was available on Origin and had hoped to relive some amazing childhood memories.

If anyone has got BF1942 to run on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, I'd love to know how you got it to work. Thanks for your time!

Message 1 of 6 (10,594 Views)

Re: Battlefield 1942 for Windows 8?

Community Manager (retired)

I guess you have already tried to run the Windows 8 compability mode on Battlefield 1942? 

Cheers

Basti

Message 2 of 6 (10,513 Views)

★★ Novice

Thousands of players having this issue. I wish EA would fix this as it is a great classic game that lots of people are missing out on! 

Message 3 of 6 (10,465 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

What is the issue that prevents playing?  That part isn't obvious, becuase many people are running both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows just fine.  (Myself being one of them.)

Same as on Windows 7, in the desktop shortcut for launching specifically Battlefield 1942 (BF1942.EXE), regardless of whether you have an Origin-based installation of Battlefield 1942 or a CD-based installation of Battlefield 1942, you seen to right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties".  Then in the "Compatibility" tab select "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and then ALSO the "Run this program as an administrator" option that exists on that same tab.  Without this, my experience on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.x was that the game would run, but you would frequently encounter cases where the game would crash.

I'm not saying that's necessarily your issue; just definitely something that is recommended if you haven't already done it.  There could be some more specific incompatibility between the older version of DirectX interface Battlefield uses and your particular video card or driver, or something else giving you a persistent failure even though the Battlefield 1942 game itself is not fundamentially incompatible with Windows 8.x or Windows 64-bit.

-Trench

Message 4 of 6 (10,453 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I got it to launch but can't get PB checked to join servers.

http://wolfgaming.us/forums/index.php?threads/had-problems-getting-installed-on-windows-8-1.41714/#p...

Still working on the PB part. Will post update if I get that part figured out.

Message 5 of 6 (10,440 Views)

★★★ Novice

The instructions we put together for getting an Origin-based Battlefield 1942 game client connected to the EA117 server (which requires PunkBuster) should help, regardless of which server you intend to connect to:  HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server

Indeed, the Origin-based Battlefield 1942 game doesn't come with a PunkBuster install like the 1.6 patch for the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game did.  But how exactly you add PunkBuster support to your Origin-based Battlefield 1942 installation can depend upon whether you do already have PunkBuster due to some other Origin- or non-Origin-downloaded game, versus whether your desire to have PunkBuster support for the Origin-based Battlefield 1942 game is actually the first or only game you have that needs PunkBuster.

-Trench

Message 6 of 6 (10,437 Views)