Re: Battlefield 1942 - Invalid Serial Key

by Liquidus_Talon

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 1942 - Invalid Serial Key

★ Novice

I downloaded the free Demo in Origin and now every time I want to join a multiplayer match it says "Error - Invalid CD Key". And if I click the "OK" button, the game closes. I tried to re-install the game and to install Punkbuster but it didn't help...

Anyone ideas?

Message 1 of 69 (69,328 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

EDIT: This process was now automated. If you encounter the "Invalid cd key issue" please run repair (right-click on Battlefield 1942 in Origin). For more information please see this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-1942/Battlefield-1942-Invalid-Serial-Key/m-p/179498#M139

Ok, I finally got mine working ! 

1) Click start menu, type regedit in the search field (or hit windows+r if you do not have vista/7) 

2) Navigate to the following section(s) depending on your OS, 

For those of you that don't have an Origin folder located in either of these two locations: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Origin\Battlefield 1942\ergc (FOR 64bit OS) 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Origin\Battlefield 1942\ergc (FOR 32bit OS) 

3) You need to create it yourself. I have Win 7 x64, so I made an Origin folder (also known as a "key" in the registry) under Electronic Arts. 
To create this "folder", right-click on Electronic Arts and then choose "New" and then "Key". Now it should allow you to give it a name, rename it as Origin. 

4) Next, right-click on the Origin "key" you just made and again pick "New" and then"Key". Give this new key a name of Battlefield 1942. 

5) Next, right-click on the Battlefield 1942 "key" you just made and again pick "New" and then "Key". Give this new key a name of ergc 

6) Next, click on the ergc "key" , on the right hand side you'll see it has a string value called "Default". Right-click it and then choose "Modify". 

Now you need to copy your product key from Origin and paste it as the new modified value. 

To find your product key, right click Battlefield 1942 in Origin, then choose Game information/detail, and you should see your product key (listed on the right hand side) 

7) You do NOT need to include spaces, just copy and paste the key and click on "Ok". 

Now you can close the registry editor, run your game and you should be able to connect to any server. I managed to connect to my dedicated server at last after I did this ! 

Hope it helps you guys :-)

View in thread

Message 4 of 69 (71,309 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey all,

Great news. We've identified the configuration error that was causing this and fixed it.

If you are still in this state there is no need to edit the registry to fix this now.

In your Origin My Games tab, right click on the game tile for BF1942 and select Repair Install.

This should resolve the issue. See you on the Battlefield!

EA_MikeNoface

Origin Live Operations

View in thread

Message 32 of 69 (25,137 Views)

Re: Can't play BF1942 online

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi everyone again,

I've merged a few more posts into this thread.

The configuration error that was causing the "Invalid cd key" issue has now been fixed.

If you still encounter the "Invalid cd key" error, please run repair. To do so, switch to your My Games tab in Origin, right click on Battlefield 1942 and select Repair Install.

Thank you very much for your patience while we fixed this error. We hope you enjoy the game now, see you on the Battlefield.

View in thread

Message 35 of 69 (25,040 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

Multiplayer does not work so far.

Normally, you have to use a tool Battlefield 1942_Code.exe in the following folder: X:\Origin\Origin Games\Battlefield 1942\eReg, but the code box is for numbers only, letters don't work. Unfortunately, the CD-Key of the Origin version has letters ...

Message 2 of 69 (69,059 Views)

★★★ Newbie

having the same problem, I dont know how to solve this

Message 3 of 69 (69,043 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

EDIT: This process was now automated. If you encounter the "Invalid cd key issue" please run repair (right-click on Battlefield 1942 in Origin). For more information please see this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-1942/Battlefield-1942-Invalid-Serial-Key/m-p/179498#M139

Ok, I finally got mine working ! 

1) Click start menu, type regedit in the search field (or hit windows+r if you do not have vista/7) 

2) Navigate to the following section(s) depending on your OS, 

For those of you that don't have an Origin folder located in either of these two locations: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Origin\Battlefield 1942\ergc (FOR 64bit OS) 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Origin\Battlefield 1942\ergc (FOR 32bit OS) 

3) You need to create it yourself. I have Win 7 x64, so I made an Origin folder (also known as a "key" in the registry) under Electronic Arts. 
To create this "folder", right-click on Electronic Arts and then choose "New" and then "Key". Now it should allow you to give it a name, rename it as Origin. 

4) Next, right-click on the Origin "key" you just made and again pick "New" and then"Key". Give this new key a name of Battlefield 1942. 

5) Next, right-click on the Battlefield 1942 "key" you just made and again pick "New" and then "Key". Give this new key a name of ergc 

6) Next, click on the ergc "key" , on the right hand side you'll see it has a string value called "Default". Right-click it and then choose "Modify". 

Now you need to copy your product key from Origin and paste it as the new modified value. 

To find your product key, right click Battlefield 1942 in Origin, then choose Game information/detail, and you should see your product key (listed on the right hand side) 

7) You do NOT need to include spaces, just copy and paste the key and click on "Ok". 

Now you can close the registry editor, run your game and you should be able to connect to any server. I managed to connect to my dedicated server at last after I did this ! 

Hope it helps you guys :-)

Message 4 of 69 (71,310 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

This solution works, thanks for writing it up.

Message 5 of 69 (68,875 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the confirmation, glad I could help :-)

Message 6 of 69 (68,864 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thx, saved my day ;-)

Message 7 of 69 (68,835 Views)

Joining Server

★★ Novice

I got invalid CD Key error when Joining Server
I found that https://help.ea.com/article/RN2050 but didn't accept Origins product code
I downloaded the free version of the game.

Message 8 of 69 (67,090 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks ston3cold !

Message 9 of 69 (68,761 Views)

★★★ Novice

Nope, it still does not work.

Even followed the instructions. Still not working.

Message 10 of 69 (68,667 Views)